South Carolina post game thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

South Carolina post game thread

Reaction Score
I still participate sometimes, but I’m getting annoyed by some of the negative idiocy. Nobody is forcing me to participate, which makes my solution obvious.

1549982606537.png

Reaction Score
I still participate sometimes, but I’m getting annoyed by some of the negative idiocy. Nobody is forcing me to participate, which makes my solution obvious.
Yep... Your call... I made it over a month ago... I was just amazed how UCONN "FANS" could talk about UCONN Players/Coaches on the Chat... many comments that wouldn't be said to the Coaches or Players faces.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As we saw earlier in the season with our losses, this team has no superstars. For the last 5 or 6 years there has always been a person the ball went to first for us while everybody else kinda fills in on the sidelines.. Sutton, then Mitchell, then Coates, then Wilson... so we went from a team that always had a ball dominant player to a team that truly shares the ball. Cooper is ball dominant but she’s getting better at picking her spots to dominate (something Tiff Mitchell was masterful at). It took time to develop that chemistry. Regardless of the UConn game, we are playing some good basketball right now. Baylor still scares me, but I’m putting my money on SC if there’s a rematch with Maryland, Drake or Oregon State. But anyway.. Our assists are up, shooting percentages, pace, three point shooting are all up. Our starting 5 has great chemistry and we no longer are one of those teams where you can sag off of 3 out of 5 players on the floor. You have to guard us now. We got thrown in the fire this year, but we just need more time to really ingrain this new style.
I am really impressed with the transformation Dawn has engineered, going from a team that pounded the ball inside to its Bigs, to a team that spreads the floor and runs the court at every opportunity. It will be interesting to see what SC looks like when Boston and Amihere are on the court together.

Reaction Score
I am really impressed with the transformation Dawn has engineered, going from a team that pounded the ball inside to its Bigs, to a team that spreads the floor and runs the court at every opportunity. It will be interesting to see what SC looks like when Boston and Amihere are on the court together.

I'd dearly love to speculate about our roster and playing time for a lot of words, but I'd get scolded.

With Amihere's injuries and Hebert-Harrigan, Saxton, Grissett returning, I'm not sure minutes beside Boston will necessarily be in the cards next year except in short spurts and garbage time.

Optimism being eternal, I'd like to see what Boston-Ododa looks like instead of Collier-Jennings. Feels like a lot of gap can be made by that change. But you'll probably just find three more people to have to career nights against us.

It's a little aggravating at this point, because it's not like we're a particularly bad defensive team generally and we've certainly tried a lot of different approaches. See y'all next year hopefully. Don't want you again this year.

Take our chances with Louisville or Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
Thought I would start one up. Some general comments.

- Great big game feel tonight.
- Sigh of relief for all of us who already purchased our tickets to the Albany region
- Dawn has completely remade the Gamecocks this year into a much quicker more dangerous team. I would not count them out in the SEC tournament
I agree. This was a big game all the way. Uconn showed a lot of positives; 1. They took some serious body blows in the first half, from a super hot team, and survived them, 2. They put together an exceptional third period, with an encouraging contribution from Olivia; there was some textbook basketball shown and a pass from Crystal to Lou that will be on all the sports highlights; 3. They had to have gained a lot of confidence. No sense of panic. Only determination and hustle. SC will be a force in the final 16. We need to keep progressing. Great game.

Reaction Score
The problem is, that 15-18' shot is basically the worst shot in basketball. The NBA is trending in this direction and for good reason.

Yes, sometimes Lou can heat up and make a bunch of those shots, but a lot of the time it's a contested 2 pointer that isn't as likely to succeed as a drive to the basket, and doesn't get you as many points as a 3 despite being only a little easier.
Good point, I''d rather see KLS always go to the hoop than settle for a medium shot worth only 2 pts. I think it's time for KLS to scrap the continued attempt to make 3s. Her game will be incomparable if she plays all over the floor, runs the floor. posts up and instead continually attempts to get to the ft line. The 3pt threat will always be there & will greatly benefit both her & the team if she does all these other things. She is too good a passer & ft shooter to not put pressure on the opposition in as many ways as she can.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
.... ... we already knew the defense needed to improve and it did in the third quarter when it was most needed. Seems some people are just hard to please.

That was because Ono clogged up the lane. Why Geno took her out baffles me.

Very astute comment by @paisan; Baffled me as well.

UCONN up by 5 in a see-saw game when ONO enters the game. After her 9 minutes in the game, the lead has grown to 17.

Geno takes her out.....Whaaaat!

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
For all the doom and gloom it looks like Uconn is again starting to look like it is on track. First I want to congratulate SC. Considering where you started, you really have improved and could be playing your best basketball by March. Quite a turn around from the start of the season. Last night you played a very good game, especially your guards, but were outgunned and lost the game in the 3rd quarter. The defense also locked down and the freshman ONO allowed Uconn to play wider and longer and they didn't have to sag as much to cover for your limited size on the interior.

Uconn problems should have been expected if you look at the fact you have been playing with 2 new inexperienced players in your rotation. This puts a ton of pressure on your backcourt and allows other teams defenses to single out pressure. Add in the fact that those inexperienced players don't quite get the defensive rotations and help. Uconn must also avoid foul trouble. Hopefully ONO will help going forward.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the correction. Debbie has always been one of those announcers who searches for any reason to throw shade at UConn, and she hates voting for the Huskies as the #1 team in the nation.
Always fun to watch the other announcers when Debbie tries to make one of her significant points. Often comes close to eye rolling and other negative b. Some day we will get a better professional announcer than her, but until then....
Good point, I''d rather see KLS always go to the hoop than settle for a medium shot worth only 2 pts. I think it's time for KLS to scrap the continued attempt to make 3s. Her game will be incomparable if she plays all over the floor, runs the floor. posts up and instead continually attempts to get to the ft line. The 3pt threat will always be there & will greatly benefit both her & the team if she does all these other things. She is too good a passer & ft shooter to not put pressure on the opposition in as many ways as she can.
An added point in favor of the 2 pointer, particularly off a screen. Great way to draw fouls and as we saw last night, get one of the other team's top players off the floor.

Reaction Score
It was a tip. The ref signaled it immediately.

Watching this game replay and came to this "non-back court violation play". 3rd quarter @the 4:47 mark. Jennings passes the ball to her guard, ball was over Lou's out stretched arm by at least 3 ft, she couldn't have possibly tipped it unless she was standing on top step of a 3-step ladder.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Very astute comment by @paisan; Baffled me as well.

UCONN up by 5 in a see-saw game when ONO enters the game. After her 9 minutes in the game, the lead has grown to 17.

Geno takes her out.....Whaaaat!

I haven't watched the full game, but I suspect the player she replaced came back in (was it Meg?). I know, go watch the full game Rocky. Life intrudes, etc. And ONO may well have been winded and her play was deteriorating, so to preserve the progress, etc etc. As Dawn said, you get down 17 to UConn in that building, it's over (imagine in Gampell) though according to Lou the XL crowd really game to play too and the placed rocked all night long.

Reaction Score
There was a mismatch from the opening tip with SC’s 3-guard lineup. Cooper was matched up with Lou, quickness vs size. Cooper ended up with 20 pts, but she fouled out of the game and Lou ended up with 29. So I’ll have to give that matchup to Lou.
However, Cooper was a great shooter and caused problems with her defense--she gave way nothing--it had to be taken. USC has some pretty good players who play like their coach--tough tough tough.

Reaction Score
I haven't watched the full game, but I suspect the player she replaced came back in (was it Meg?). I know, go watch the full game Rocky. Life intrudes, etc. And ONO may well have been winded and her play was deteriorating, so to preserve the progress, etc etc. As Dawn said, you get down 17 to UConn in that building, it's over (imagine in Gampell) though according to Lou the XL crowd really game to play too and the placed rocked all night long.
She replaced 3 fouls on Walker, Walker. No she was not exhausted or winded the quarter ended and ONO was replaced at the start of the 4th by the starting 5 including Walker. ONO played very well her defense was as good as can be expected or much better. She blocked 3 shots, distorted others, made 2 free throws as if she were Lou, smooth/accurate.
In clean up with the bench crew--who devolved from the Cinci game--she needs to play with the 5.

Last edited:

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Watching this game replay and came to this "non-back court violation play". 3rd quarter @the 4:47 mark. Jennings passes the ball to her guard, ball was over Lou's out stretched arm by at least 3 ft, she couldn't have possibly tipped it unless she was standing on top step of a 3-step ladder.
First of all, here's the clip of the play in question.

While processing this clip to publish it dawned on me what happened.

The receiving SC player reaches out and does just tip the ball as it heads to the back court for a violation. The ref sees the tip and has a brain fart confusing a UConn tip vs a SC tip and signals that it was tipped and does not call a back court. If you watch closely you see the ball deflect ever so slightly. So the ref got all wrapped up in seeing the finger tip and totally messed up on which team was doing the tipping.

As I said earlier, the other two refs needed to step in on that. The baseline ref had a clear view that no UConn player cam close to the ball.

Reaction Score
First of all, here's the clip of the play in question.

While processing this clip to publish it dawned on me what happened.

The receiving SC player reaches out and does just tip the ball as it heads to the back court for a violation. The ref sees the tip and has a brain fart confusing a UConn tip vs a SC tip and signals that it was tipped and does not call a back court. If you watch closely you see the ball deflect ever so slightly. So the ref got all wrapped up in seeing the finger tip and totally messed up on which team was doing the tipping.

As I said earlier, the other two refs needed to step in on that. The baseline ref had a clear view that no UConn player cam close to the ball.

Brain fart indeed, in that respect the ref was correct in his call...it was deflected. :rolleyes:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

Kara was saying last night that she thought Vic Schaefer was the coach of the year this year. I'm a huge fan of Vic, but I think if I had a vote, I'd vote for Dawn. I've seen both teams several times this year, and as you said, the transformation that South Carolina has made during the season has been spectacular.

Reaction Score
Kara was saying last night that she thought Vic Schaefer was the coach of the year this year. I'm a huge fan of Vic, but I think if I had a vote, I'd vote for Dawn. I've seen both teams several times this year, and as you said, the transformation that South Carolina has made during the season has been spectacular.
Maybe. For those who have stated transfers take too long to produce, Vic lost 4 starters, replacing two with transfers. I know little about their competition but he has my vote.

Reaction Score
Yep... Your call... I made it over a month ago... I was just amazed how UCONN "FANS" could talk about UCONN Players/Coaches on the Chat... many comments that wouldn't be said to the Coaches or Players faces.

I went to Chat once and never again!!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Some awfully otherwise nice people get really nasty on the CHAT--I've heard of the Cesspool the only time I ventured into the Chat I was sure I found it.
And now we know why the admins moved it from the main threads to the chat!

It is a bit disappointing, and hopefully those that are less than kind in the chat read these comments and modify their behavior, just sayin...:)

Reaction Score
Lou only took 4 three pointers our of 19 shots last nite.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
However, Cooper was a great shooter and caused problems with her defense--she gave way nothing--it had to be taken. USC has some pretty good players who play like their coach--tough tough tough.

If I recall, Cooper was also the main offensive driver (but a bit wild) in the MSST game which SC was in for 3+ Quarters. A tough competitor.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Lou took her to the rim in the second half and made her foul out, so I guess you can say you were correct in the "it had to be taken" statement.:cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom