South Carolina is beatable | The Boneyard

South Carolina is beatable

Reaction Score
I think you have to have quality bigs who can match the size and physicality of Cardoso. You have to have a great player like Rickea Jackson or Caitlin Clark or someone who will not back down, and continue to be aggressive. And then you need Paopao and Bree Hall to be off, or not great from 3. I agree that they are "beatable" but they still are the favorites. I actually like that they figured out a way to win today. I also really like Tessa Johnson. I mean they have a pretty great team, but she's just someone who can kinda do everything from an offensive standpoint. I think she's super underrated as a freshman.

Reaction Score
I think you have to have quality bigs who can match the size and physicality of Cardoso. You have to have a great player like Rickea Jackson or Caitlin Clark or someone who will not back down, and continue to be aggressive. And then you need Paopao and Bree Hall to be off, or not great from 3. I agree that they are "beatable" but they still are the favorites. I actually like that they figured out a way to win today. I also really like Tessa Johnson. I mean they have a pretty great team, but she's just someone who can kinda do everything from an offensive standpoint. I think she's super underrated as a freshman.
I agree with favorites but beatable is new to me

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
SC has looked super beatable for weeks now. Ever since the UCONN win they haven't looked all that strong:
-they had a really tough time putting Tennessee away the first game
-struggled mightily vs a weak Georgia team
-couldn't manufacture offense vs. Alabama
-then struggled again at home vs. Tennessee
-only beat A&M by 11 in SEC tournament, coughed up 24 turnovers
-needed a 3pt buzzer beater to beat Tennessee in the SEC Tournament after giving up a 23 point lead

The only games where they looked elite were vs. Kentucky and Arkansas. The other 6 games they've struggled. They're still the favorite to win it all but I don't see them as a heavy favorite like they were a few weeks ago.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
SC has a young team and none of this year's starters started in last year's SEC Tournament or NCAA Tournament, so this is new territory. Tennessee has a good team and Rickea Jackson is an excellent player. Remember, most of their losses were when Rickea was injured.

Reaction Score
SC fan here. SC has been beatable all year. Nobody’s has found a way though. There’s not one player on our team that is a superstar…yet. It’s a collection of great players who play as hard as they can for 40 mins and “literally” not 1.1 second less. That’s the beauty of this team. There’s a different “star” every game. We all thought this team would be good but to have the kind of season they are having is really incredible. They are fun to watch.

Tennessee is a really good team. They lost some of their games when Rikea was hurt and then when she got back it took a while. Key was on limited minutes for much of the season. They will be tough for whoever gets them in their bracket.

Reaction Score
SC has a young team and none of this year's starters started in last year's SEC Tournament or NCAA Tournament, so this is new territory. Tennessee has a good team and Rickea Jackson is an excellent player. Remember, most of their losses were when Rickea was injured.
The Vols also, aren’t even ranked!

Reaction Score
The Vols also, aren’t even ranked!
UVA beat four ranked teams this year--yet they're likely headed to the WNIT. Tennessee, right now, is playing better than at least three of those teams that the Wahoos beat (two of them aren't ranked anymore). Rankings do not tell the whole story.

Reaction Score
UVA beat four ranked teams this year--yet they're likely headed to the WNIT. Tennessee, right now, is playing better than at least three of those teams that the Wahoos beat (two of them aren't ranked anymore). Rankings do not tell the whole story.
South Carolina and LSU are the only ranked teams in the SEC that Tennessee played because there's no other teams in the SEC that have been ranked.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
For a while there, I thought Kevin Keatts had taken over coaching the Gamecocks. They were all out of sorts for long stretches after having that big lead.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I'm sure every team South Carolina beat earlier in the season would love another crack at them right now. UNC was within arm's length until the very end...Duke gave them a hard time...and goodness, Notre Dame is playing at a different level now. And there's a litany of teams South Carolina hasn't played yet who know the path to a national championship will likely result in a collision with them.

I'm really excited about the upcoming national tournament. The pairings will be crucial but it's going to be one for the ages.

Reaction Score
Tamari Key has come a long way this season. Her size and strength are a good matchup for Cardoso, as Cardoso isn’t someone who is consistently beating you down the floor in transition. To play with South Carolina you need that size to neutralize the interior a bit and secure defensive rebounds. I think Watkins is so underrated for South Carolina. Getting her into foul trouble seems important for opponents as well. Kitts and Faegin are great players, and provide that post depth, but you’d like to force them to be the ones to beat you. They’re capable but seems like an opponents best option.

On the perimeter, you need to catch a day where Pao Pao is off, or misses some looks early and loses aggressiveness. Force Hall and Johnson to beat you. Again both are capable, but I’d take that as the best option. Fulwiley is the wild card, she can be a huge difference maker.

They are certainly beatable. Their biggest strength is having insane depth at every position. The pressure on each player is much less. Feels like a player only has to convert 2-3 plays offensively each game which allows them to take good shots on most possessions. If somebody is off, Dawn can provide a new lineup from the bench.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
After the injury to Poa yesterday, it wouldn't surprise me to see LSU come out with a renewed sense of urgency.

OTOH, after the way South Carolina played yesterday, it would also not surprise me if Dawn has read her team the riot act and righted the ship.

I'm looking forward to this game.

Reaction Score
As this season has shown us, every team has a day where they got caught. South Carolina was close yesterday but so far this season, they have come up with big plays at the right time to continue their impressive run. Are they beatable? Sure, a lot has to go right for whatever team South Carolina is playing against.

Reaction Score
South Carolina has always been beatable but I also think Tennessee matches up well with us too. This was the third meeting between the two teams in about 3.5 weeks and every game wasn't won until the 4th quarter. So I'm not surprised the game was so close and I knew even when we had a decent lead Tennessee would have the belief they could comeback considering how close the first two games were.

Reaction Score
I think every team has to watch and rewatch the game
That's usually how scouting works. However, if teams don't have the personnel (Tennessee is one of the very few that does), it won't matter.

South Carolina is beatable. Not sure where this "unbeatable" narrative came from, to be honest. It didn't come from Dawn or the rest of the coaching staff. The players have never said that they can't be beat. Didn't come from the South Carolina media. So who's creating this false narrative that has people in a tizzy? Opposing fan bases, who convinced themselves (to feel better in case their respective teams didn't win an upcoming battle with South Carolina) that South Carolina was untouchable during the romps of Notre Dame, Maryland, and Clemson, as if those contests didn't take place months ago.

Jim

Reaction Score
When you play a team in your conference multiple times, there is familiarity between the teams which makes it harder to keep winning. I recall the ND vs UConn rivalry during the 2012-2013 season (Stewie's first year) where UConn lost to ND twice during the regular season, again in the Big East tourney finals, but beat ND in the Final Four on their way to Stewie's first national championship. I am not suggesting that Tenn will beat SC in the NCAA Tournament should they meet again, but it gets harder and harder to beat the same team as the opponents know each others' tendencies.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I hope you are kidding
I was hoping that your OP was kidding.
Have they been beaten this season?
No.
Ergo, as of this moment, they are not beatable.
Simple logic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom