OT: - Sorta OT - Doris Burke | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Sorta OT - Doris Burke

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I hate , "Going downhill to the rim", isn't the court flat?
I'm assuming they borrowed that from football terminology, sometimes you hear about a running back running downhill. Of course it doesn't make sense in a literal sense, but I think it refers to the ease with which an athlete appears to do something.

Reaction Score
“Comport” is for city dwellers only. I graduated from UConn with major in English Literature and consider myself to be fairly well read with a better than average vocabulary, but until the word appeared in this thread I had never seen it in print and never heard it being spoken.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Yes, but I can never get the guttural throat sound right.:confused::cool:

Anyway, I'll look forward to it!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I think it was Doris whom I first heard use the word “effort” as a verb. “(Sideline reporter) is efforting that as we speak.” Thankfully that was short-lived; I think it didn’t last more than one or two seasons.

Yesterday I was listening to NPR and heard ”action” used as a verb. “If we find they’ve been actioning on those findings . . .”

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
I for one happen to love the word “comport” and particularly its reflexive form “to comport oneself”. Doris, you keep doing you! Language is fun.
There are those whose passive vocabulary extends into their active vocabulary. This lends itself to precision. That's a Good Thing. Those who don't know the terms active vocabulary and passive vocabulary may complain, as is their right.
They should study Proto-Indo-European just for fun.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Yesterday I was listening to NPR and heard ”action” used as a verb. “If we find they’ve been actioning on those findings . . .”
Haven't millennials turned almost every word into a verb? Adulting is probably my favorite/least favorite, depending on my mood.

Reaction Score
Doris was the best- especially when she was a brunette.

She used the word comport sooo much when talking about Morgan Tuck- I was waiting for Morgan to curtsy to the ref at the foul line.

Anyone have an under/over on how many times she mentioned that Stewie had a 7 foot 1 inch wingspan? -)

Reaction Score
Sports commentators are like basketball dunks. After the thousandth cliche you begin to die of boredom.

Reaction Score
I’m watching the Orlando Magic-Cleveland Cavaliers NBA playoff game and Doris is the color analyst. It took 30 seconds for Doris to mention how the Magic “comported” themselves. :D I kind of miss her doing women’s college basketball games but I don’t miss “comport”.

Go Magic!
Too funny. I wasn’t too fond of Doris and her yakking about how a ‘young lady comported herself’ was “Exhibit A”.

Reaction Score
Clark Kellogg loved describing spurtability, & became known for it. Not sure if he or Doris originated it. He's a great analyst. I like Doris - she does have a good sense of humor & knows the game. In addition to "comport" & "physicality", another go-to of Doris' is "Mental Toughness". If you're taking a Tequila shot on any of these Doris-isms you'd be three sheets to the wind before the 1st TV timeout . . . ;)

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
“Comport” is for city dwellers only. I graduated from UConn with major in English Literature and consider myself to be fairly well read with a better than average vocabulary, but until the word appeared in this thread I had never seen it in print and never heard it being spoken.

I guess you didn't read much by Bulwer-Lytton.

“Bulwer-Lytton's works were well known in his time. He coined famous phrases like "pursuit of the almighty dollar”, “the pen is mightier than the sword”, “the great unwashed", and the opening phrase "it was a dark and stormy night.” -wikipedia

He used the word frequently in all of his novels, including Paul Clifford, of dark and stormy night renown.

As an English lit. major, skipping over Bulwer-Lytton shows discretion, but the word also show up in Jane Eyre. Were the Brontë sisters not deemed worthy of attention?

Reactions: Kat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom