Sort of OT Defense still wins championships | The Boneyard

Sort of OT Defense still wins championships

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes you do need to score but defense still wins championships, you saw it tonight and you saw it out of our last 2 National Championship teams, and were starting to see it out of this Uconn team right now so their is still hope.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Correct - deny the team their strengths and good things come to you

Reaction Score
fraidycam.0.gif

Reaction Score
In all my time watching football, I can't recall an offensive unit that contributed less to a championship team (maybe the '01 Ravens?)

Denver's defense was incredible...crazy because Pittsburgh nearly had them beat.

Reaction Score
Yes you do need to score but defense still wins championships, you saw it tonight and you saw it out of our last 2 National Championship teams, and were starting to see it out of this Uconn team right now so their is still hope.
In the NFL when you give an elite defense two weeks to prepare for an offense its advantage defense and it has played out that way in a lot of super bowls. Defense wins championships and great pitching beats great hitting.

As far as march goes i think the key thing on defense is can your pg disrupt the opposing teams pg? March is all about your guards. Thats why even though we`ve been pretty mediocre this season if we get in the tournament we could be a f4 dark horse.

Reaction Score
In all my time watching football, I can't recall an offensive unit that contributed less to a championship team (maybe the '01 Ravens?)

Denver's defense was incredible...crazy because Pittsburgh nearly had them beat.

They gained momentum from that game much like we gained momentum from the St Joes game in the 2014 tourney.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
A good attacking defense is the offense's worst nightmare. Auerbach Celtics.......JC Huskies...........KO Huskies. "Hard to remember your primary objective is to drain the
swamp when you are up to your a__ in alligators."

Reaction Score
Sometimes defenses come out on top, sometimes offenses do. I don't buy this idea in football. The Giants over the Bills. Advantage defense. Last year, Patriots over Seahawks. Advantage offense. It goes back and forth. There have been offensive shootouts between teams that went into the game with great defenses and average offenses. Think of Ravens v. 49ers a few years ago. Or Carolina v. Patriots in 2003.

In other words, I don't buy the premise here. I think it's wrong.

Reaction Score
Sometimes defenses come out on top, sometimes offenses do. I don't buy this idea in football. The Giants over the Bills. Advantage defense. Last year, Patriots over Seahawks. Advantage offense. It goes back and forth. There have been offensive shootouts between teams that went into the game with great defenses and average offenses. Think of Ravens v. 49ers a few years ago. Or Carolina v. Patriots in 2003.

Well you certainly need to have a D it doesn't necessarily have to be 85 Bears, 00 Ravens, 02 Bucs or 15 Broncos D. All those teams you mentioned did have a good D it doesn't necessarily have to be great but you do need it.

Just because a team like the GSW have a ton of games where they give up 100 doesn't mean they don't play D you gotta get the timely stops.

Reaction Score
Patriots over Seahawks. Advantage offense.

I know what you mean, but defense (i.e. Malcolm Butler) won the game on this example. Also Russell Wilson was pretty good against that D.

Reaction Score

I think it depends on how good the defense is. Denver's defense was the best in the game. And while Carolina had the best offense, their best receiver was probably Greg Olson. Cam Newton was the majority of their offense. And then their top RB gets hurt right out of the shoot. That doesn't help. He came back in the game later, but wasn't much of a factor.

But still, Denver's defense basically put 14 points on the board.

Thing is, Carolina's defense was no slouch, either. They just couldn't have quite the same impact that Denver got from theirs.

There is no question that a great defense makes it awfully hard for a good offense to operate. But then, I'm not sure the Carolina offensive gameplan adequately accounted for how good the Denver defense played. They needed a greater dose of the Patriots "we aren't going to be able to run, let's just throw the ball every down, and throw a lot of short routes to pick up 5 yards at a time instead of running". They never did that and they needed to.

Reaction Score
I'm a Giants fan and I'm jealous of Von Miller

Reaction Score
I know what you mean, but defense (i.e. Malcolm Butler) won the game on this example. Also Russell Wilson was pretty good against that D.

Both defenses made some key stops in that game, but overall, the offenses did pretty well. Seattle's defense was being touted just a year ago as a great one.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

That statement supports his point though. It was a ridiculous offensive play just before that got the Seahawks in that situation.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm a Giants fan and I'm jealous of Von Miller

Everybody is jealous of Von Miller. That guy is flat out good. But don't make it out like it's just him. Malik Jackson and Derek Wolfe are top shelf and did a lot of damage throughout the playoffs. Even Ware in his old age, was quite good, benefiting strongly from the other guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom