Sophomore Noe Ruelas was thrust unexpectedly into role as UConn football's starting placekicker this season (JI & Courant) | The Boneyard

Sophomore Noe Ruelas was thrust unexpectedly into role as UConn football's starting placekicker this season (JI & Courant)

Reaction Score

Alternate access link here <<

-> So coach Jim Mora arrived at UConn knowing he had one of the top kicking prospects in the country. He had no idea he had a backup with Ruela’s background. Only last week Mora learned from state media that Ruelas had those 50-plus yarders on his high school resume.

“State record?” Mora said. “I hope he can make some of those for us. At the end of spring, I went to [special teams coach] Doug Shearer and said, ‘Man, this kid can kick anywhere. I’m sure glad he’s with us.’” <-

-> If UConn was in a fortuitous spot, with two solid kickers, Ruelas is in a good place, too. Mora, with his vast experience in the NFL, has coached some of the greatest to ever line them up, with Hall-of-Famer Morten Anderson, who comes up a lot in their conversations, at the top of that list.

“I look at the way they prepare,” Mora said. “Morten used to use my office to watch film, so I was around him a lot, and the professionalism with which he went about his job was amazing. He was meticulous. He sent me information a few years ago on how he did things, which I try to pass on to kickers.”

Mora, like most coaches, tries to simulate competitive pressure for his kickers with drills in practice, and Ruelas has been passing the tests.

The first thing is their demeanor,” Mora said. “How do they handle the pressure of the moment? How do they come back from a miss? Look at their face, are they uptight or are they relaxed? I see a guy that’s relaxed.” <-

Reaction Score
I wish Noe Ruelas all the luck for a great season. But there's a big difference between high school and college for kicker.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
While having the starting kicker out for the year is sub-optimal, it's cool having a coach that used to coach Morten Anderson. That's pretty unique for UConn. Mora pretty much knows everybody it seems.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While having the starting kicker out for the year is sub-optimal, it's cool having a coach that used to coach Morten Anderson. That's pretty unique for UConn. Mora pretty much know everybody it seems.
Mort helped out the kickers when Mora was at UCLA. I wouldn't be surprised if Noe has been able to pick his brain at least. In whatever capacity is allowed.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
We are blessed to have this guy. Finally. He could win us a game or 2.

Reaction Score
The kid is a great kicker- Glad he finally had a chance to show his talent

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom