Soooo how can Azzi improve | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Soooo how can Azzi improve

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Azzi played 49 minutes last night. She's in shape!

Her current shooting is 47/44/90. I think she can get her overall shooting form 47% to 52% or so next year. Some more layups and a little more accuracy on her pull-ups.

She'll learn the offense and defense better. And the various player combinations will become more familiar.

Azzi is a hard worker and will find various ways to improve, some obvious, some subtle.

Reaction Score
Based on Azzi's NCAA tourney statistics she can stop taking two point shots since she has shot them at a cold 31% and threes at 43%. Or take more two point shots via drives in order to get many more free throws which she shoots at 92%. Reminds me of a Geno complaint of Maya Moore. Assists? Azzi are you remotely familiar with the word assist? No! Thought so. And Larry Bird said Kevin McHale was a basketball black hole. He has not seen Azzi play. ;):rolleyes: Clearly Azzi is a Svetlana acolyte. Azzi's "Svetish" motto: "I did not come to pass the ball. I came to shoot the ball." ;):D
View attachment 74986
This is such convoluted, misapplied logic I don't know whether you're saying this tongue-in-cheek. If you aren't, so Azzi hasn't played a half year of her freshman year, and she makes the BE all-Frosh team, and also the she is All-Region at Bridgeport, and you make this misguided critique of her? Are you watching that she is practically draped by defenders on every shot? Do you correlate Christain and others ability to freely drive the lane with Azzi being on the floor and a threat with the 3?

So if you know the chief objectives of their roles, Azzi is a SG, not a PG who directs the offense and provides assists--Azzi's job is to SHOOT. Geno doesn't feel Azzi shoots it enough. Even still, Azzi has made great passes when the defense has overplayed on her...

Reaction Score
Improve defensively and improve fitness level; both are interrelated.
What information have you been made privy, and/or observations have you made to conclude that Azzi needs to improve her fitness? Your assessment appears to baseless and without merit--Azzi has played more minutes than any other UConn player in the tournament--I don't see where her lack of fitness or fatigue is a problem...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Of course she will improve in every area but she is already the second best player on the team (Sorry CW JMO) . Azzi did so many things in the E8 game that do not seem to get enough kudos.

One example. On that last clinching play, who ran back to Liv to get the ball (barely beating the 5 second clock) against intense defensive coverage and handled the double team trap, switched the ball to the less covered left hand and made such an instinctual bounce pass to E in the corner who than delivered the winning pass to CW. .

More evidence

Reaction Score
What information have you been made privy, and/or observations have you made to conclude that Azzi needs to improve her fitness? Your assessment appears to baseless and without merit--Azzi has played more minutes than any other UConn player in the tournament--I don't see where her lack of fitness or fatigue is a problem...
I watch every game. I discern that she is regularly beaten by her opponent off the dribble, requiring others to help. It has been an issue since her return and is entirely understandable given her time away from the court due to injury and te reality that it takes time to get back in to game shape. She’s getting there but will be much better on the defensive end after a solid summer. BTW - I’m an Azzi fan having watched her for years here in the DMV and caught several of her games in both travel and St. John’s play.

Reaction Score
I watch every game. I discern that she is regularly beaten by her opponent off the dribble, requiring others to help. It has been an issue since her return and is entirely understandable given her time away from the court due to injury and te reality that it takes time to get back in to game shape. She’s getting there but will be much better on the defensive end after a solid summer. BTW - I’m an Azzi fan having watched her for years here in the DMV and caught several of her games in both travel and St. John’s play.
I am not in agreement with your observations--I do not see that Azzi is being beaten off the dribble frequently... In fact in several of the videos highlighting UConn players, Azzi has been commended for her defense in addition to her shooting prowess... As far as guard defense, I am surprised that you failed to mention Paige, who of our starting guards is the weaker on defense and often is caught out of position...

Reaction Score
I don't see Azzi getting beat much off the dribble any more. Healing her foot seems to have really worked. Gotta say though that Paige has not been the same defensively recently still. Hopefully that happens soon.

Reaction Score
When Azzi is not on the floor Paige had better be. And vice versa. Over next weekend we should run play after play for both of them. Keep both of them fresh by giving them 30 minutes PT max. They will score 60 points by themselves if we do.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I heard somewhere that Azzi is an exquisite player.

Reaction Score
I am not in agreement with your observations--I do not see that Azzi is being beaten off the dribble frequently... In fact in several of the videos highlighting UConn players, Azzi has been commended for her defense in addition to her shooting prowess... As far as guard defense, I am surprised that you failed to mention Paige, who of our starting guards is the weaker on defense and often is caught out of position...
The post is about Azzi - not Paige. You’re entitled to your opinion ~ I’m not seeking your agreement with my own.

Last edited:

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
As great as she is, If she develops a step back jumper for next year she will be unguardable.

Reaction Score
Fudd will improve as all freshmen do when the have a year under their belts....her shooting is great, driving to the basket, guarding opponents, fighting for the ball: all improving as time moves on. The only way I could really see improvement is if she grew 2 or 3 inches to move in and out of the post....:confused:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom