Somewhere in the Florida sun, TJ Weist is wearing shortsleeves | The Boneyard

Somewhere in the Florida sun, TJ Weist is wearing shortsleeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The public perception of adding pop and sizzle to a program that was dying doomed Weist's chances at being named head coach. He had no football/political allies.Manuel found him and forced him on Pasqualone. It's too bad that the same reasons that Manuel wanted him to run the offense, and then the entire team, weren't compelling enough for Manuel to make the bold decision to not go for the bold decision-cum-flavor of the month coordinator.

Weist is down in Tampa helping USF to score points. He's grinding his way back to prominence after sitting out coaching in 2014 and then serving as a non-coaching analyst at Michigan for the 2015 season. Hired in 2016 at USF he has gone from wide receivers coach to co-offensive coordinator. Basically, where he was with UConn in 2013.

Weist did not have the fortune of having played high school ball for Taggart's dad. What he did have was the fortune of having coached alongside Taggart at Western Kentucky. Two times now we have been burned by head coaches looking at the offensive coordinator position as an extension of some giant ancient crony tree. In addition, for the last 6 years we have (except for that Weist-coached stretch in 2013) been watching an image of UConn football as lampooned by everyone who isn't a Husky fan. Unfortunately at this point the two go hand in hand.

I know that UConn is not going to fire Diaco and hire Weist. I really don't know what the prescription is. But it it is too bad that the old adage that sometimes what you are looking for is right in front of you wasn't on a certain AD's inspirational quote of the day screen saver circa 2013.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The thought process that led to Diaco over Weist was correct. Diaco being a dumpster fire doesn't invalidate it.

But, yeah, points would be fun.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Weist is lhmfao goin" suckahs should of hired me instead!!!"

Reaction Score
TJ would be 3-1 if I'm brutally honest with myself, and 4-0 if I'm even remotely optimistic. I really believe he'd be 4-0 with this team.

BS is good despite what others say. Arkeel is good and RJ was good until these guys had plenty of time to coach him. I think TJ could right the ship completely by Halloween.

Reaction Score
TJ believed he could win with the talent available in Storrs and learned in 2 months how to make it work.

I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Funny I was thinking of TJ today while watching the Titanic going down. I was wishing Manuel had offered him the one year Ollie type deal. Give him a shot to carry on the short success run he had started.
I know the thinking at the time was that we needed to make statement that we were serious about our football program - and it was urgent!
Then when the unilateral Civil Conflict announcement came, I felt a little ill. Now I have the plague.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
How is it that most seem to have forgotten the game TJ coached against UCF? Many have also forgotten the Cincinnati game he coached.

Reaction Score
Come on, we're gonna pretend Weist was the right guy now?

Please. People need to get ahold of themselves. Diaco was the right hire at the time, just hasn't worked out.

Only better hire would've been Narduzzi and he didn't want the job

Reaction Score
The joy of watching UConn is gone. This coaching staff is unbearable. They make so many basic mistakes from game to game, We just have to accept the fact that's just who they are. I don't see how they will get better anytime soon. This is an extension of the PP era.

I thought getting rid of TJ was a mistake. I would love to have him back in a second. Even now, I think he can turn around this situation if he has the chance. Diaco is a disaster.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
The joy of watching UConn is gone. This coaching staff is unbearable. They make so many basic mistakes from game to game, We just have to accept the fact that's just who they are. I don't see how they will get better anytime soon. This is an extension of the PP era.

I thought getting rid of TJ was a mistake. I would love to have him back in a second. Even now, I think he can turn around this situation if he has the chance. Diaco is a disaster.

We're halfway between Pasqualoni and Edsall. Probably a little closer to Edsall.

Purgatory.

Reaction Score
We're halfway between Pasqualoni and Edsall. Probably a little closer to Edsall.

Purgatory.

If we hire TJ on 1/1/17 for $800k, Disco's buyout is effective $2.5M since we save $1M on Diaco salary. We need to make this happen.

Reaction Score
TJ took a flaming wreck and turned it around after taking some losses getting the team back on track. People complain the wins he has we're against inferior teams ...but the fact is he got the team putting up points and believing. I have no doubt he could do the same again. Whether he can recruit I don't know. What I know is he took a losing team spiraling out of control and coached them up. I always thought he got a raw deal. Instead, We went for a name and gambled and lost. Id even take Edsall back. Diaco is a proven clown at this point.

Reaction Score
TJ seemed to understand that college football today is all about scoring points. All you ask of the defense is to get the offense back on the field quickly - and maybe a couple of stops over the course of the game.

Reaction Score
I do I long for the years 2003 - 2010. Proud to have been an apologista.

So many great memories. ND at South Bend and USCe in Birmingham stand out, along with the Pitt, first night game on ESPN, and beating the crap out of RGIII at the Rent.

Not sure those type of games are in our future.

Man today just took the wind out of my sails. The CR results (probably not going anywhere) and the realization we don't have the right coaching staff has sunk in.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
How is it that most seem to have forgotten the game TJ coached against UCF? Many have also forgotten the Cincinnati game he coached.

Can't speak for others but I clearly remember TJ FUBARING away 2 of his first 3 games. But he learned and adapted. Unlike his staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom