"Someplace Warm"... | The Boneyard

"Someplace Warm"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Been thinking about this for a bit:

A Pinstripe Bowl berth would be a reward for us fans to be able to see our Huskies affordably and conveniently in NYC (heck, even yours truly - aka 'Mr. Cheapskate' - would be there in a heartbeat). But do we really deserve that privilege, with the way we (hardly) packed out PAWS ARF this season? IMO, no way.

Now the kids, staff, coaches, admin, etc. that busted their humps all year to get to an unexpected 6-6? They deserve to go someplace that's just as fun, but with nice weather, maybe some beach time, cool complimentary swag gear, the works. Some of them have even expressed this desire openly:

Someplace Warm.

That's why I'm not gonna get mad if they get shipped to Miami, Orlando, even Hawaii. UConn Football deserves to reap the benefits of hard work.

Now, if they get sent to Birmingham? I think everyone will be a tad disappointed...

Reaction Score
at this point, a bowl game is a bowl game. HUGE step for UCONN Football.. Enjoy these fruits (extra practice time before the final dash on recruiting the 2016 class).

Reaction Score
I will go to just about any bowl game that doesn't fall a day before or after Christmas.

Hawaii on Christmas Eve? Hats off to anyone who makes that trip. I wouldn't care because it would be a nice reward for the players. If I had to guess? It's gonna be the game in Boca.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Something towards the end of bowl season would be really nice for even more practices!

Reaction Score
Now, if they get sent to Birmingham? I think everyone will be a tad disappointed...

Gees, am I the only one who had a good time in Birmingham? Could have been warmer though but the libations helped.

Dooley

Reaction Score
The good thing about the Hawaii bowl is that there is noone who would dive deep into how many fans UConn had at the game and question our traveling reputation.

I hope we can get into Pinstripe since it would obviously have the most UConn fans in attendance of any bowl. But if not, Hawaii would be a nice reward for our players. They've earned it!

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Quick Q:

Concerning the pending 5-7 bowl teams (of which the B1G has several), are they treated as 'at-large' teams where a contracted bowl could pass them over to bring in one with a better traveling fan base, or will they still be slotted into their league's bowl structure?

Or in other words, could the Pinstripe say no to an Indiana or Minnesota in favor of, say, a UConn?...

Reaction Score
Quick Q:

Concerning the pending 5-7 bowl teams (of which the B1G has several), are they treated as 'at-large' teams where a contracted bowl could pass them over to bring in one with a better traveling fan base, or will they still be slotted into their league's bowl structure?

Or in other words, could the Pinstripe say no to an Indiana or Minnesota in favor of, say, a UConn?...

Supposedly - more details on the process for 5-7 team invites will be coming today.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Yeah, I think the NCAA is trying to determine what sort of flowchart to follow with the 5-7 teams. It could be APR, it could be bowl game/conference tie-in, it could be at-large style. They are supposed to decide and release something today.

If I had to guess, I would say that the bowls don't want to penalized by being forced to take an APR team that can't sell tickets over a local team that could. Selling tickets is priority one for the bowls and I'm interested to see how the NCAA will approach this.

Reaction Score
Supposedly - more details on the process for 5-7 team invites will be coming today.
In a perfect world, any 5-7 team should be slotted last, after all teams with 6-6 records or better have been fitted.
BUT:
1. We are dealing with the NCAA, where crazy happens
2. We don't live in a perfect world.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
coachcap said:
In a perfect world, any 5-7 team should be slotted last, after all teams with 6-6 records or better have been fitted.
BUT:
1. We are dealing with the NCAA, where crazy happens
2. We don't live in a perfect world.

I don't see this happening. They will find a way to pick the 80 teams that can go and let the conferences and bowl committees sort it out. A 5-7 Big Ten team will go to a Big Ten affiliated bowl game.

It's a money thing as with anything else related to the NCAA.

Reaction Score
I don't see this happening. They will find a way to pick the 80 teams that can go and let the conferences and bowl committees sort it out. A 5-7 Big Ten team will go to a Big Ten affiliated bowl game.

It's a money thing as with anything else related to the NCAA.

Ideally any 6-6 team should be given preference over the 5-7 teams, regardless of bowl affiliation because what type of signal would they be sending by slotting in sub .500 teams over those who are actually bowl eligible?

As it has been hashed out above, all that matters is selling tickets and making money, so this will never happen. NCAA only cares about the bottom line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom