Someone remind me of Larrier's game | The Boneyard

Someone remind me of Larrier's game

Status
Not open for further replies.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Where does he fit in for us next year? Trying to recall highlight videos from his recruitment, my thought was that he's a SF with a multi-dimensional skill set (much like D-Ham).

What are his strengths? How do we expect he'll fit in? Will he come off the bench and play the 2/3 for Purvis/D-Ham? Or can he become a stretch 4 type, a la DeAndre Daniels?

Reaction Score
I think he is expected to be where Vance Jackson will be in a couple years

Reaction Score
I think he is expected to be where Vance Jackson will be in a couple years

My impression is that their games are very different.

They might be around the same size and play the same position (mostly a 3, sometimes a 4 when we go small), but Larrier strikes me as more of a Stanley Robinson type pure athlete (he had awful shooting numbers as a freshman at VCU, albeit in a quirky system), while Jackson is more of a shooter.

Of course, you can't say anything for sure until we see them both on the court, so we'll have a better feel by December.

Reaction Score
DraftExpress scouting report prior to his freshman year:

Strengths:
-Very good size for a wing. Measured 6-7 in shoes with a 6-10 wingspan
-Very good athlete. Explosive in the open floor
-Has decent shooting mechanics. Can make an open 3-pointer
-Good potential defensively with long wingspan and athleticism

Weaknesses:
-Very frail physically. Narrow frame that will likely take years to fill out
-Mediocre ball-handler. Cannot create his own shot
-Shot-selection is fairly poor. Feel for the game/experience-level looks average at best
-Lacks some toughness defensively. Gets backed down inside the paint
-Not a consistent shooter

Outlook: Long-term small forward with nice physical attributes, but very raw overall skill-set. Has upside, but needs time to get stronger and improve his ball-handling, jump-shot and feel for game.

Reaction Score
Ball handling on his videos did not look bad to me, and even at the college level he looks like he can dribble drive to the whole. I think the rest of the weaknesses are fair though I put a lot less stock in the narrow frame criticism. He is a wing. There are a lot of skinny wings out there. He's not a power forward.

Gets backed down in the paint? By whom? A small forward? No, power forwards maybe, but if any 6-6 guy tries to back him down, at his height and arm length, he can defend.

As for consistent shooting, he can work on that. He has good form.

Reaction Score
He has a full year to work on his game before he even puts on the uni, so we can only expect an improved Larrier from that video

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Kinda reminds me of Sticks - skinny explosive 6'7"/6'8" athletes that could get out in transition, but limited IQ , ball handling, and outside shooting (early on).

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Stick's was a legit 6'8"-6'9", could jump out of the gym and was much larger physically than Larrier. Larrier is closer to DHam than he is to Sticks.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
My impression is that their games are very different.

They might be around the same size and play the same position (mostly a 3, sometimes a 4 when we go small), but Larrier strikes me as more of a Stanley Robinson type pure athlete (he had awful shooting numbers as a freshman at VCU, albeit in a quirky system), while Jackson is more of a shooter.

Of course, you can't say anything for sure until we see them both on the court, so we'll have a better feel by December.

Think he was joking.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Stick's was a legit 6'8"-6'9", could jump out of the gym and was much larger physically than Larrier. Larrier is closer to DHam than he is to Sticks.

Stanley was listed at 200lbs and 6'9" initially , so yes 15lbs more and another 1-2 inches... I think he measured at 37.5" vertical at the NBA combine - which was very good (not as high as Rudy at 40") .... but I would bet Larrier is also around Stick's vertical.

UChusky916

Reaction Score
If we're comparing Larrier to past UConn players, he's not close to Robinson. Rather, he's in between D-Ham and Deandre Daniels. Daniels was about an inch taller with a longer wing span. D-Ham is a bit shorter.

Reaction Score
Stanley was listed at 200lbs and 6'9" initially , so yes 15lbs more and another 1-2 inches... I think he measured at 37.5" vertical at the NBA combine - which was very good (not as high as Rudy at 40") .... but I would bet Larrier is also around Stick's vertical.

Stick's measured in at 6'6.5 w/out shoes (6'7.75 with) and 213 at the combine.

Reaction Score
If we're comparing Larrier to past UConn players, he's not close to Robinson. Rather, he's in between D-Ham and Deandre Daniels. Daniels was about an inch taller with a longer wing span. D-Ham is a bit shorter.

Rip Hamilton, minus the cotton soft jumper

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

So he's not very athletic? Neither of those guys are great athletes.

Reaction Score
He didn't look like he had that great a vertical in that video. Either that or he doesn't use it. He's got very long legs and arms, though, which might make it seem like he has a bigger vertical.

He can't aim his shot, like at all. Some bad misses and a lot of rim clanging in that video.

UChusky916

Reaction Score
So he's not very athletic? Neither of those guys are great athletes.

I never mentioned athleticism. I was comparing heights.

But since we're on the topic... Very few come close to Stanley's athleticism. Saying that neither D-Ham or DeAndre are great athletes is kinda ridiculous. Larrier seems to be a bit more athletic than either of those 2, but D-Ham is still filling out, so tough to say.

Reaction Score
He didn't look like he had that great a vertical in that video. Either that or he doesn't use it. He's got very long legs and arms, though, which might make it seem like he has a bigger vertical.

He can't aim his shot, like at all. Some bad misses and a lot of rim clanging in that video.

He has outstanding leaping ability.

Reaction Score
Kinda reminds me of Sticks - skinny explosive 6'7"/6'8" athletes that could get out in transition, but limited IQ , ball handling, and outside shooting (early on).

Oh now I get it, he's not too good? :eek:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Please enlighten me - elaborate on the limited IQ statement
We sure don't need any dopes on this team
How the hell do you know about his IQ?????? (and I know you mean bb IQ)
At 6'8" plus I would consider his ball handling skills to be more than acceptable - are you basing it on the video that shows him losing the ball a few times and had his pocket picked once?

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
At 6'8" plus I would consider his ball handling skills to be more than acceptable - are you basing it on the video that shows him losing the ball a few times and had his pocket picked once?

Yeah just basing on the the video.... But, I really liked Sticks in his role and see Larrier in similar role.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who despises the term BB IQ?

Reaction Score
Sticks is an inch taller and was a little thicker, athletically Larrier is more similar to Sticks than he is DHam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom