Someone please explain the "summer league" | The Boneyard

Someone please explain the "summer league"

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The purpose is to get drafted and undrafted young players together and try to figure out if they are any good and prepare them to take the next step to the NBA. For some it's a tune up. For others it's a chance to show they belong and are being undervalued.

Reaction Score
Typically reserved for younger players (draft picks, undrafted players. and 2nd/3rd year players) to make their case for the NBA and the G League. Players get the chance to show their skills/development before training camp starts, and also a chance for players without guaranteed contracts to make their case for a contract and roster spot. Only takes a couple of weeks after the draft

Players do get paid, but probably not that much unless they've already signed a contract with a team. For most of its existence nobody really cared about it, but it has picked up in popularity in recent seasons. Wouldn't be surprised if it actually turned a small profit at this point, there were a few sellout games to watch the Spurs' #1 pick Wenbanyama play

The refereeing and coaching is also usually for development (not getting the best refs and coaches), so the actual product isn't great. But a fun way to watch younger players that you've followed in college try to get NBA attention

Reaction Score
I know the players get 10 fouls. To me this makes the highlights a little questionable. If someone creates a highlight and has 7 or 8 fouls, he wouldn't even be in a normal game. Also someone with 5 fouls may be a little passive in fear of fouling out. In a summer league game he can still use as much aggression as he wants.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
All of the above, but watching summer league with our former guys gets me out of having to watch whatever ridiculous show my wife has tuned into in the other room.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
What's the purpose and who gets paid?
Kids who like to play hoops at a higher level than the driveway sign up for these summer league thingys. And they have fun.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I miss the higher level Pro-Am's that used to litter the summer landscape. Used to be able to see some great ballers whose life choices, timing or injuries prevented them from playing in the pros but had some serious game.

Reaction Score
I miss the higher level Pro-Am's that used to litter the summer landscape. Used to be able to see some great ballers whose life choices, timing or injuries prevented them from playing in the pros but had some serious game.
they still exist

Reaction Score
Please explain why ESPN shows summer league exhibition game highlights before the highlights and scores of games that count in other sports like MLB, tennis, golf, etc. I get golf not being a huge draw, but MLB regular season games and tennis majors?

Reaction Score
evaluate talent in a fun tournament setting. downside is that the big draws are a tease & get pulled off the court pretty quickly

Reaction Score
It's not great basketball but I liked being able to watch our guys compete in the summer league.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
they still exist

Yeah, but it seems like they've lost some luster. Players are now more focused with camps and skill development in the off season than just going out and playing games to stay in shape.

Reaction Score
the one takeaway is that can whitmore should’ve easily been a top 5 pic…..before the mvp nod.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but it seems like they've lost some luster. Players are now more focused with camps and skill development in the off season than just going out and playing games to stay in shape.
Remember when UConn players would play in the Greater Hartford Pro-Am? This article says some might show up this summer. But their participation is sporadic.

Alternate access:
The 25th season of the Greater Hartford Pro-Am is underway at the University of St. Joseph’s

Reaction Score
as an aside it's kinda wild to see how the Summer League is pushed and marketed compared to a decade ago, NBA has definitely tried to make it an event. Cool to throw on when nothing else is on during the summer but as far as entertainment value, the "The Basketball Tournament (TBT) is better hoops imo, and if you watch college hoops there's plenty of name value.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
It's not great basketball but I liked being able to watch our guys compete in the summer league.

It's also fun as an NBA fan to see the guys your team just drafted or signed play RIGHT AWAY. It's like if you got to watch the QB your NFL team drafted in the top-5 lace em up 3 weeks later.

Nobody's getting exploited. Except for the Wembayamas of the world, the vast majority of the participants are playing for a very good reason -- either they're trying to lock down a contract or the team that holds their rights is trying to learn something about them. And even for the Wembys and Scoots, it's a chance to showcase themselves.

It's not really about money. Sure, the NBA tries to squeeze out of it what it can, but it's about player acquisition and development, and it's fun for everybody.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
What's the purpose and who gets paid?

The players get paid, as per their contracts.

They get allowances for travel, lodging, food.

For players not on contract, they're really just getting their expenses covered in what is basically a try out for an invitation to a training camp or exposure to overseas scouts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom