Someone ‘splain the NBA to me | The Boneyard

Someone ‘splain the NBA to me

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I live in Orlando and, yes, I know the Magic are awful but I went to a game anyway. The company I work for banks with PNC and our account manager invited me to watch the game in their suite at the Amway Center. So, I went.

I haven’t been to an NBA game since I saw the Celtics play at the Civic Center and the game has changed. The Magic have a 7-0 guy, Mo Bamba, but I didn’t see him go into the paint on offense once. He chucked up a bunch of threes but so did everyone else. Of the Magic’s 91 shots, 58 were threes and of Miami’s 94 shots, 50 were threes. A guy in the suite told me that the game has been evolving and this is how they play now.

Honestly, I didn’t see a lot of basketball being played although I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw a pick and roll but the game was more like a three point shooting contest. Is this really how the pro game has evolved?

7E9C631D-0F8F-45C2-B203-26E09CF9B94F.jpeg

Reaction Score
The 3 is definitely a huge part of the NBA now but unfortunately, you got to see it even worse & exaggerated because it was essentially a meaningless game. Miami played no starters and Orlando has been tanking for weeks so I am sure they all were in “Chuck it” mode

Reaction Score
Dunk or 3. Advanced metrics ruined the game.
This was probably at its peak like 3-5 years ago. Lots of good teams play a variety of different styles now. Those are still the best two shots, but players like KD kill you from the midrange as well. Game has started to fine a variety of interesting niches.

Reaction Score
And no one wants to pass the ball. Everyone wants to dunk or shot the three.

Reaction Score
This was probably at its peak like 3-5 years ago. Lots of good teams play a variety of different styles now. Those are still the best two shots, but players like KD kill you from the midrange as well. Game has started to fine a variety of interesting niches.

I do wish their were some rule changes like pushing back the arc or eliminating offensive 3 seconds but this is why playoff ball is the best. So many high level playoff matchups come down to guys who can create and make mid range shots for themselves.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Also, the same action that got the Spurs an open 17-footer 8 years ago is now being used by teams to get open 23-footers that are worth 50% more.

The game is in a great spot right now, and this season's been a hell of a lot of fun. More shooting is good!

Reaction Score
Also, the same action that got the Spurs an open 17-footer 8 years ago is now being used by teams to get open 23-footers that are worth 50% more.

The game is in a great spot right now, and this season's been a hell of a lot of fun. More shooting is good!

More shooting is good but I want to tilt the game a tad so that it makes more sense for an elite post player to stay home, rather than chill on the perimeter on pick and pops because they are 34% shooter from range. I used to love watching Al Jefferson play. Is prime Big Al leading a second unit in this era?

Reaction Score
I live in Orlando and, yes, I know the Magic are awful but I went to a game anyway. The company I work for banks with PNC and our account manager invited me to watch the game in their suite at the Amway Center. So, I went.

I haven’t been to an NBA game since I saw the Celtics play at the Civic Center and the game has changed. The Magic have a 7-0 guy, Mo Bamba, but I didn’t see him go into the paint on offense once. He chucked up a bunch of threes but so did everyone else. Of the Magic’s 91 shots, 58 were threes and of Miami’s 94 shots, 50 were threes. A guy in the suite told me that the game has been evolving and this is how they play now.

Honestly, I didn’t see a lot of basketball being played although I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw a pick and roll but the game was more like a three point shooting contest. Is this really how the pro game has evolved?

View attachment 75479
The three is too much a part of the game, just like the pass is too much a part of the game in the NFL, and the homer is too much a part of the game in MLB. The best players in the NBA right now are big men though. They can step out and hit the three but they crush teams down low.

You were also watching the worst team in the NBA play a meaningless end of the season game against the Heat who didn't play any of their starters. You picked the worst possible NBA game you could ever go to.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm stuck on one team getting 58 pts on 3s and the other getting 50 pts on 3s.

If you have to ask why, I'm gonna demand to see your math transcripts.

Reaction Score

View attachment 75479
I was in your camp for a long time. Mostly because i watched lousy Timberwolve teams attempt to play modern nba ball. But trust me, it looks better when the better teams play modern ball. Lots of spacing. More fun than watching the wrestling matches in the paint that occurred in the 90s.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I’d personally rather watch big dudes slam into each other for 2:30 hours and each team score 70-80 points. That’s real basketball. Maybe throw in some turn around contested mid range shots, cause those shots go in very frequently. The people who say they can’t watch the nba cause 18 footers turned into 23 footers are the worst. And yes taking your 7 footer out of the lane on offense is smart because it takes the other teams best rim protector away from the thing he’s trying to protect.

Reaction Score
I lived in Boston during the 1980s and had free access to a suite, so I took in a lot of regular season Celtics games. I can remember it like yesterday because so many many many times, a lot of players wouldnt even bother running down the floor on defense. It was fast break all the time because people just didn't bother getting back. Seriously, even the stars like Bernard King, Moses Malone, Dawkins, Akeem, I saw these guys never get back to play D

What's changed now is that many of the bigger guys are better shooters, and they're bigger so you don't even bother getting closer to the basket because you'll get stuffed. The dimensions of the court are out of whack with the bodies.

Reaction Score
Orlando magic are the worst team in the Nba so this is not the best example of basketball.

Reaction Score
I lived in Boston during the 1980s and had free access to a suite, so I took in a lot of regular season Celtics games. I can remember it like yesterday because so many many many times, a lot of players wouldnt even bother running down the floor on defense. It was fast break all the time because people just didn't bother getting back. Seriously, even the stars like Bernard King, Moses Malone, Dawkins, Akeem, I saw these guys never get back to play D

What's changed now is that many of the bigger guys are better shooters, and they're bigger so you don't even bother getting closer to the basket because you'll get stuffed. The dimensions of the court are out of whack with the bodies.
Every position in the NBA is the smallest it's been in 40 years except for point guards who are the biggest they've ever been and there's less blocks now than there was back then.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I'm stuck on one team getting 58 pts on 3s and the other getting 50 pts on 3s.

If you have to ask why, I'm gonna demand to see your math transcripts.

Make a 3 pts rule like the old SATs, or one of those other standardized tests: 3 pts if made, and either lose a pt for a miss, or lose possession.

And let's make it interesting: Flub a dunk, and sit out the rest of the 1/4.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom