Some thoughts on the MWC news | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Some thoughts on the MWC news

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Yeah, I guess you guys are right. Cuse and BC are much bigger cowards than Pitt.

Reaction Score
SU and BC's reaction to us is the same as what ours would be towards UMass or URI if they every became good at football or basketball. No one likes the new kid on the block - especially if they are winning.

Reaction Score
And yes, there were several writers who were told by several sources that Cuse was not pro-louisville as much as they were anti-UConn when the ACC was asking their opinion.

You have any links on those sources? I'd like to see them...as I never heard anything like that.

Reaction Score
You have any links on those sources? I'd like to see them...as I never heard anything like that.
I'll look for them as soon as I stop staring at that video you attached to yourself.

Reaction Score
I'll look for them as soon as I stop staring at that video you attached to yourself.
thanks...I can see the logic, never heard that Cuse blackballed UConn.

BTW, google Michelle Janneke

yw...LOL

Reaction Score
SU and BC's reaction to us is the same as what ours would be towards UMass or URI if they every became good at football or basketball. No one likes the new kid on the block - especially if they are winning.

UConn/Cuse was THE Big East rivalry over the last what, 10-15 years? There's a difference between Cuse not having our back and us not having the back of UMass or URI if they're trying to squeeze into our conference.

The few times I've read the Cuse board I'm shocked at how thrilled many Orange fans are that we've been left in the cold. Why? It's not like Cuse got beaten to a drum everytime they played us like BC did. You can understand BC's reaction. They were the beaten spouse, looking to run through the front door to freedom as soon as the husband goes to take a long dump.

But Cuse? All the years both schools were at the top? all the great moments in the BE tourney? I mean at some point isn't the rivalry more important than whether or not your recruiting is better because you're keeping your rival out of the new conference?

TexanMark: I can't find it at the moment, maybe someone else on the BY can help. David Borges mentioned that he had heard Boeheim did not want UConn in and made note of it to coach K hoping coach K could lean on the other ACC schools. a few days after that another writer had confirmed that Cuse when asked their opinion, said they did not want UConn to join.

And just to clarify, not all Cuse fans are pu$$ies, just the ones who would rather the rivalry with UConn end so that they can recruit better in this area.

Reaction Score
I dont know about the school in general but what The Viking says about the Cuse board is right. I'd say a good 75% of the fans there are happy about Uconn's plight.

Reaction Score
I'm shocked at how thrilled many Orange fans are that we've been left in the cold.

I guess its because they had other rivals before the emergence of UConn - Georgetown and SJU in basketball and the independent Eastern schools in football.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I guess its because they had other rivals before the emergence of UConn - Georgetown and SJU in basketball and the independent Eastern schools in football.

It's really because they beat those teams in later years. They couldn't outdo UConn. This is why they would love for UConn to cease to exist.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The Cuse board still thinks people outside of upstate/central NY care about the Gtown rivalry. Gtown is becoming a midmajor, but Cuse fans would rather grasp to that last bit of historical relevance.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
UConn is the upstart. They were late to the clique. I imagine younger Cuse fans have a different impression of the rivalry than the older fan.

Reaction Score
UConn is the upstart. They were late to the clique. I imagine younger Cuse fans have a different impression of the rivalry than the older fan.
Had Yale remained at the 1A level, we'd probably never have stepped up. But UConn should have immediately seized the opportunity to upgrade when Yale decided to de-emphasize atheltics. It took visionaries like Calhoun and Auriemma to show what UConn can be. Let's hope the women's bball team wins another championship this year. I know women's bball doesn't get big TV audiences but more championships in the biggest women's sport absolutely cannot hurt our profile. The success of the women's bball program is brought up plenty of times when analyzing our candidacy for realignment. When the heck are they going to extend Ollie's contract?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes it will be the 8th women's basketball title that gets people to notice. The first seven weren't enough.

At some point it has to be clear that if our women's basketball supporters instead supported the two sports that matter that would help us. Really people get that right?

Connecticut's support of women's basketball is a net negative because it makes the people here seem insane. Tennessee can get away with it because 100k show up for their football games and they are already in a league.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Connecticut's support of women's basketball is a net negative because it makes the people here seem insane. Tennessee can get away with it because 100k show up for their football games and they are already in a league.

Wow, what a dumb post. Football is king, yes. But to think that having a women's team that wins numerous national titles and gets paid over 1 million per year in tv revenue is a "net negative because it makes the people here seem insane" is.....well, insane.

Is the women's basketball team going to define whether we go to a larger conference or not? No. But to view it as a negative is pretty stupid...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Wow, what a dumb post. Football is king, yes. But to think that having a women's team that wins numerous national titles and gets paid over 1 million per year in tv revenue is a "net negative because it makes the people here seem insane" is.....well, insane.

Is the women's basketball team going to define whether we go to a larger conference or not? No. But to view it as a negative is pretty stupid...

Listen I know it's a highly unpopular opinion, but yeah I think it makes us look like a joke to schools like Florida State. Louisville looks like they care about football, we look like we care about women's basketball.

Not talking about the balance sheet at all, so you can save the SNY revenue - strictly talking about the perception of the fanbase nationally.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Cuse is a dying private just like bc. Both will be in the acc 5 years from now and i think the acc will be the best conf in the ncaa. The mwc will prob be a close 2nd. The question is if uconn gets the big call or accepts the small one. Cuse took the small one because nothing else was coming. It gives me hope we are still in a good moving spot vs them. The ncaa will be dying private schools, commuter schools, small publics and directionals soon. Eventually it will crash with issues post big boys split because they wont get 95%of the money they do now. Uconns bad news endind is the acc vs wake cuse bc and crew and ooc bball games vs gtown and sju. We still have a chance at the big boy tableunlike cuse. The cuse fans are pro acc like retards are pro cherios at any hour. They are either very stupid or they are denying that there school already accepted defeat. Just look at lville fans. They hawked message boards for a tear about the phantom b12 invite. Then they goro the acc. Fans rhump chest for about 2 days then it sets in that all the doom ncaa split talk they were apart if now means they didnt make it. Noe they are wiet as and just say the bball team is doing good to make a excuse. The reslity is either they got passed by cincy in b12 eyes long before cincy went on this pr ride of great moves or the b12 was never touching thrm. They will be a good friend to cuse. Competitive bball and siuthern fball so cuse doesnt completely forget what fball is like.

I pray everynight we get the big call vs the small ok. But while others here are feeaking out im sitting cool in CR. i like the spot, we still have a fighting chance unlike others. bc. Now dont get me started on warde...

Reaction Score
Ugh! Dan you're losing me if you start parroting MHVER3. I read something similar con his twitter feed last night.

Reaction Score
Cuse is a dying private just like bc. Both will be in the acc 5 years from now and i think the acc will be the best conf in the ncaa. The mwc will prob be a close 2nd. The question is if uconn gets the big call or accepts the small one. Cuse took the small one because nothing else was coming. It gives me hope we are still in a good moving spot vs them. The ncaa will be dying private schools, commuter schools, small publics and directionals soon. Eventually it will crash with issues post big boys split because they wont get 95%of the money they do now. Uconns bad news endind is the acc vs wake cuse bc and crew and ooc bball games vs gtown and sju. We still have a chance at the big boy tableunlike cuse. The cuse fans are pro acc like Replicants are pro cherios at any hour. They are either very stupid or they are denying that there school already accepted defeat. Just look at lville fans. They hawked message boards for a tear about the phantom b12 invite. Then they goro the acc. Fans rhump chest for about 2 days then it sets in that all the doom ncaa split talk they were apart if now means they didnt make it. Noe they are wiet as **** and just say the bball team is doing good to make a excuse. The reslity is either they got passed by cincy in b12 eyes long before cincy went on this pr ride of great moves or the b12 was never touching thrm. They will be a good friend to cuse. Competitive bball and siuthern fball so cuse doesnt completely forget what fball is like.

I pray everynight we get the big call vs the small ok. But while others here are feeaking out im sitting cool in CR. i like the spot, we still have a fighting chance unlike others. **** bc. Now dont get me started on warde...

Given your assumptions about where all this is going, don't be surprised if some schools opt out of the bigtime.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Ugh! Dan you're losing me if you start parroting MHVER3. I read something similar con his twitter feed last night.
Its a good way to see who is paying attention.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Given your assumptions about where all this is going, don't be surprised if some schools opt out of the bigtime.
Yup. Northwestern is the only 1 i think that will.

Reaction Score
I'll say this, the only way I can see paying football players, and them only is if they make a clean break, from the NCAA, and create a minor league football to the NFL essentially. Schools could keep all their other sports "amateur" in the NCAA. In a weird way it makes sense, but eventually I think NCAA schools would stop offering scholarships in football because that would become a total money Pitt that no one watches and a whole lot of kids would lose access to a higher education that is only available to them because of football/sports.

Reaction Score
Cuse is a dying private just like bc. Both will be in the acc 5 years from now and i think the acc will be the best conf in the ncaa. The mwc will prob be a close 2nd. The question is if uconn gets the big call or accepts the small one. Cuse took the small one because nothing else was coming. It gives me hope we are still in a good moving spot vs them. The ncaa will be dying private schools, commuter schools, small publics and directionals soon. Eventually it will crash with issues post big boys split because they wont get 95%of the money they do now. Uconns bad news endind is the acc vs wake cuse bc and crew and ooc bball games vs gtown and sju. We still have a chance at the big boy tableunlike cuse. The cuse fans are pro acc like Replicants are pro cherios at any hour. They are either very stupid or they are denying that there school already accepted defeat. Just look at lville fans. They hawked message boards for a tear about the phantom b12 invite. Then they goro the acc. Fans rhump chest for about 2 days then it sets in that all the doom ncaa split talk they were apart if now means they didnt make it. Noe they are wiet as **** and just say the bball team is doing good to make a excuse. The reslity is either they got passed by cincy in b12 eyes long before cincy went on this pr ride of great moves or the b12 was never touching thrm. They will be a good friend to cuse. Competitive bball and siuthern fball so cuse doesnt completely forget what fball is like.

I pray everynight we get the big call vs the small ok. But while others here are feeaking out im sitting cool in CR. i like the spot, we still have a fighting chance unlike others. **** bc. Now dont get me started on warde...

bizarre and unreadable
100903HappyDays1.jpg

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Listen I know it's a highly unpopular opinion, but yeah I think it makes us look like a joke to schools like Florida State. Louisville looks like they care about football, we look like we care about women's basketball.

Not talking about the balance sheet at all, so you can save the SNY revenue - strictly talking about the perception of the fanbase nationally.

Funny that you would mention the perception of an ACC school, since the ACC is one of the few college conferences that seems to give a damn about women's basketball (UNC, Duke, Maryland). I'm not saying that football is left out of the equation, since as I stated before, "Football is king." However, having a good football team and a crap women's program is NOT greater than having a good football team and a championship women's program. Period. You should know better than that.

And it's not just the SNY money, my friend. It's also the UConn brand being viewed as excellent in every avenue we take. Men's basketball. Women's basketball. Both soccer teams. Hockey. There are a great many ACC teams that actually give a damn about the performance of the olympic sports. There are also a great many B1G teams that give a damn about it as well. So should you....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom