Some thoughts on last nite | The Boneyard

Some thoughts on last nite

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We had the ball in the hands of the right players and we have alot of very very good guards. Stanford had the height and they too have good guards but our guards performed better last nite. A couple good big things have happened since we got healthy and let me say I dont think we are at 100% health wise. We dont worry about what happened the last play we are more concerned about what to do the next play. When we need a basket we know who needs to be handling the ball and those guys make plays. Most importantly we are not letting a bad play get us down, we are making a play to offset the previous play. Over the past few games we have been playing as a team with our guards leading the way. Poise Execution and Confidence have led the way. Now we played a Stanford and NC State both having very good post players and some height and we won. We won with good guard play. Paige and Azzi are drawing alot of attention and they are performing without forcing anything knowing they have a team behind them who will make plays. SC depends on Boston to make plays and they seem to go to her often when they need a basket. UConn has Paige and Azzi and I have to wonder if SC's defense can keep up with them for 40 minutes.

Next up SC. Both teams are much improved since the beginning of the season. UConn is much more improved. UConns defense is much better and we have more players then we did earlier in the season who can step up. SC bigs are going to be running around trying to keep up with us and imo thats an advantage for UConn. Boston is really tuff but so are Paige and Azzi.

So to win the game lets keep it simple. Execute Geno's game play. Maintain poise and play with the confidence that got us here. We have alot of options and are not depending on one player the entire game. I pick UConn by 5 pts in a thriller.

Reaction Score
You got it exactly right in your first sentence, Tony. Get the ball in the right hands, and get the right players in at the right time(s). My subtitle for last night would be "No substitute for genius." Geno's subbing was brilliant. How did he know who would produce in the many key moments in the past two game? I hope folks who know and love the game spend plenty of time examining the sub patterns Coach used. It seemed that whoever was in the game was precisely the right player for the moment. Once more the wealth was spread--in exactly the right way.
Thank you, Huskies for your determination, grit, skill, and love of each other.

Reaction Score
stanford is just jones and brink going one on one; uconn played a team game and supersuper clutch free throw shooting!! :)

Reaction Score
I watched a couple of Stanford games during the tournament and they have the hull sisters as well as Jones and brink. I think the fact that they were a non issue was due to UConn’s defense. Haley Jones was impressive and we really didn’t have a way to stop her. I think Geno resigned himself to playing her one on one with the hope that his defense could hold the rest of their team down. Having beaten Stanford with their height, I’m encouraged that we have a good chance to beat SC.

Reaction Score
I don't see Boston getting in foul trouble. AE has the strength to limit her (not stop her). If AE can play 30-35 minutes and keep Boston off the offensive glass, that will bode well for us. During yesterday's SC game the announcers said SC (offensive) rebounds something like 46% of their misses. That can't happen tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Let Boston score and rebound all she wants. Their guards are great, but so are ours. To me, the key will be guard play and our bigs avoiding foul trouble. We win because of our outstanding team balance!
GO UCONN!!!

Reaction Score
Let Boston score and rebound all she wants. Their guards are great, but so are ours. To me, the key will be guard play and our bigs avoiding foul trouble. We win because of our outstanding team balance!
GO UCONN!!!
Score, yes...rebound, no. We need to at least play them even on the boards. Rebounding and turnover margins are key.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As good as Boston is, her arms are not as long as some of the players UConn has been facing. I think that will lead to more made inside shots.

Reaction Score
GO UCONN!!!
As I said prior to the Stanford game, cut off the drives to the basket. As expected, Jones was dynamic going to the hoop. South Carolina is equally strong on their drives, knowing that Boston is there for put backs. We have the defense to shut this down - let's move those feet!

Reaction Score
I don't see Boston getting in foul trouble. AE has the strength to limit her (not stop her). If AE can play 30-35 minutes and keep Boston off the offensive glass, that will bode well for us. During yesterday's SC game the announcers said SC (offensive) rebounds something like 46% of their misses. That can't happen tomorrow.
The box score for the Louisville game shows 11 OBs and 30 missed shots. Both teams made the same number of shots (SC took fewer; so higher %). SC made more 3s.

Reaction Score
stanford is just jones and brink going one on one; uconn played a team game and supersuper clutch free throw shooting!! :)
Stanford also had uncharacteristic poor 3 point shooting, eg. the Hull sisters.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom