Some thoughts on Azzi | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Some thoughts on Azzi

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Cori Close is a mediocre coach at best because despite having #1 overall recruiting classes she has failed to ever reach a final four. A trip (or even several) to Storrs to watch Geno conduct practices does not qualify her to be a very good coach any more than it does me. Coaching this U19 team is not a crapshoot especially considering the lack of competition and the overwhelming level of talent on the US squad. It is hard to decipher what Cori's plans were for this team in general or Azzi specifically. This team lack effort defensively, cohesion in general, defined roles and the substitution & starters especially in the early rounds was puzzling. This team never encountered any adversity or significant resistance As has been stated by several posters Azzi will be a far different player at UCONN than she has displayed on this team. Way too much is being made of this tournament with regards to Azzi's development and potential to start at UCONN. Azzi development would have been further along if you take this same group of kids, put them on a bus, drop them off at any open gym, and have them run pickup games for 2 hours. Leave Cori on the bus, not all neighborhoods are safe and someone will need to keep an eye on the transportation. The added bonus of this development plan is that Azzi would have been guarding Paopao (Oregon), or Diamond Johnson (NCST), or Sonia Citron (ND)- all players that Azzi is going to have to guard this coming fall/winter if I'm not mistaken.
Interesting assessment of Close. Got me to thinking that, other than Tara, the Pac12 has produced a number of coaches projected to be the “next great WBB coach” who could not build on their earlier success to win the Big Dance. Mike Neighbors, Scott Rueck and even Kelly Graves this past season all got to the FF once, and then fell back to the pack. Of course Close never got that far.

I’ll be curious to see if Adia Barnes can build on this past year’s success at AZ, or fall back to the pack like the majority of her contemporaries in the Pac-12.

Reaction Score
Maya did start 30 of 38 games and averaged the 2nd most min of 29.5 behind Renee Montgomery 31.2 (note-sophomore Tina Charles started 33 of 38.
Same for Nykesha Sales who also started due to an injury.
Maya didnt start until someone got injured
Sales may have started a game or 2 her freshman year when someone was out, but she was not a "starter" -- she did not start the NC game, for example.

Reaction Score
Most of us are spectators and as such we want to be entertained. We champion players who do flashy things, score and score, call the players who enters game late as garbage players, and so on. I was lucky to see highlights from the Gold Medal Game and heard one of the commentators mentioned the extraordinary defensive work that was putting out in containing the Australian player-- Melbourne. The idea that one might be disappointed because a player on the team didn't shoot (more) is a statement that I personally cannot use for anything. Personally, I think one could remove Betts and 2 of the guards (any 2) and still have the ability to win. This was a very talented group and it does no justice to anyone to rank players. I came away very impressed with the coaching and how they managed to play together as a group. One other note. Clarke who is a star was also 'unimpressive' in her debut-- even as a back up for a back up. See why these analyses cannot be used for anything beyond blowing horns! I found Betts to be extremely well coordinated given her age and height; and, Citron's ability to rebound in traffic impressed me.

Reaction Score
If Nika starts at the point, I wouldn’t rule her out getting the back up minutes in addition to time at the wing. On that incredible U17 (U16?) with Boston, Haley Jones, Hairston and Paige, she was the point guard. It all depends on what happens in training camp with six guards competing for time at three positions. Will he considering having two rotations at those three spots?! Can’t wait until that first exhibition game.
Possible and I think she would do fine there, but if Nika or Paige is on the floor, they both would be the better choice at PG. Now if Azzi was teamed with Christyn and Evina, and both Nika and Paige were on the bench she might be the best choice, but even then an argument could be made for Evina who played point guard for two years at Tennessee.

After seeing this tournament I am convinced Azzi is far more like Paige than I thought. What I mean by that is both players could be very good at PG or SG. Paige came here with a reputation of being a sensational passer and very good shooter. Azzi comes in with a reputation as one of the best shooters ever and a good passer. In both cases I am surprised at how good their second best skill is, shooting for Paige and passing for Azzi. They both can create their own shot as well and be volume and efficient scorers, along with great passers.

In short we have four players who could be considered above average starting point guards if asked to play there, in Paige, Nika, Azzi, and Evina. Three of those could be good at multiple positions with Evina sometimes playing four. Nika's effectiveness drops off quite a bit at anything other than point guard. It is a nice luxury to have and it will be interesting to see how Geno juggles the pieces.

Reaction Score
Possible and I think she would do fine there, but if Nika or Paige is on the floor, they both would be the better choice at PG. Now if Azzi was teamed with Christyn and Evina, and both Nika and Paige were on the bench she might be the best choice, but even then an argument could be made for Evina who played point guard for two years at Tennessee.

After seeing this tournament I am convinced Azzi is far more like Paige than I thought. What I mean by that is both players could be very good at PG or SG. Paige came here with a reputation of being a sensational passer and very good shooter. Azzi comes in with a reputation as one of the best shooters ever and a good passer. In both cases I am surprised at how good their second best skill is, shooting for Paige and passing for Azzi. They both can create their own shot as well and be volume and efficient scorers, along with great passers.

In short we have four players who could be considered above average starting point guards if asked to play there, in Paige, Nika, Azzi, and Evina. Three of those could be good at multiple positions with Evina sometimes playing four. Nika's effectiveness drops off quite a bit at anything other than point guard. It is a nice luxury to have and it will be interesting to see how Geno juggles the pieces.

When it comes to Azzi (and Nika) - the position and minutes she will play comes down to Evina's health, Dorka's ability to knock down free throws and possibly Liv's offense.

In regards to Dorka-- if she can't hit her free throws - you have to rely more on small-ball. If she is bad at f/t’s then it means that you can't give her the ball late in close games. UCONN doesn’t play to try to win games 55-54. Their style of play is to try to score. So her and Liv (or Griffin) on the floor in which UCONN is getting limited offense puts way too much pressure on the perimeter to have to perform.

And I highly doubt Geno is going to coach in a manner to build his team around defending SC and Stanford. Instead, imo he is going to build his team around playing his best players with at tops only one limited offensive player. Last year the 2 teams that beat UCONN were small teams. Geno is going to prepare his team with the best possibility to beat any team-- not just two tall teams.

Asa result, Nika will be tied to how well Dorka can score (hit f/t’s). If she’s a scorer then Nika is not only competing with Paige and Evina - but Azzi too for pg. UCONN needs to give Azzi at least 25 mpg and Paige 30.. And CWill is going to get at least 25. If Dorka is scoring and shows the important ability to hit free throws- it means less time for Evina to play PF. Add in CD- the minutes at guard and sf will get squeezed. This means Azzi will also get minutes at PG thus taking away time from Nika.

Now if Dorka and AE can be relied upon to score and hit free throws-and if Liv (and Griff) don't improve quite a bit on their offense- then that opens more minutes for small ball. Liv and Griff won't get benched- but one or both will have minutes significantly reduced.

****As UCONNCAT posted a podcast a while back-- Geno had said you have to be able to score. **And the better the frontcourt plays offensively – then UCONN won’t need Azzi to play near 30 minutes and can better rest Evina too meaning more minutes for Nika but maybe less in tight games. This year is crazy!!!! Who knows??!!! So many questions.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
When it comes to Azzi (and Nika) - the position and minutes she will play comes down to Evina's health, Dorka's ability to knock down free throws and possibly Liv's offense.

In regards to Dorka-- if she can't hit her free throws - you have to rely more on small-ball. If she is bad at f/t’s then it means that you can't give her the ball late in close games. UCONN doesn’t play to try to win games 55-54. Their style of play is to try to score. So her and Liv (or Griffin) on the floor in which UCONN is getting limited offense puts way too much pressure on the perimeter to have to perform.

And I highly doubt Geno is going to coach in a manner to build his team around defending SC and Stanford. Instead, imo he is going to build his team around playing his best players with at tops only one limited offensive player. Last year the 2 teams that beat UCONN were small teams. Geno is going to prepare his team with the best possibility to beat any team-- not just two tall teams.

Asa result, Nika will be tied to how well Dorka can score (hit f/t’s). If she’s a scorer then Nika is not only competing with Paige and Evina - but Azzi too for pg. UCONN needs to give Azzi at least 25 mpg and Paige 30.. And CWill is going to get at least 25. If Dorka is scoring and shows the important ability to hit free throws- it means less time for Evina to play PF. Add in CD- the minutes at guard and sf will get squeezed. This means Azzi will also get minutes at PG thus taking away time from Nika.

Now if Dorka and AE can be relied upon to score and hit free throws-and if Liv (and Griff) don't improve quite a bit on their offense- then that opens more minutes for small ball. Liv and Griff won't get benched- but one or both will have minutes significantly reduced.

****As UCONNCAT posted a podcast a while back-- Geno had said you have to be able to score. **And the better the frontcourt plays offensively – then UCONN won’t need Azzi to play near 30 minutes and can better rest Evina too meaning more minutes for Nika but maybe less in tight games. This year is crazy!!!! Who knows??!!! So many questions.
I'm sorry , my head is spinning and I didn't get all that. Can you say that again?

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
It all comes down to which lineup gives you the best opportunity to win. Most teams do not start 2 Bigs. SC does, but Stanford does not, even though they have the players to do so. Geno wants to spread the floor on offense. With Stewie & Tuck, he could still spread the floor because both were capable 3-pt shooters.

If UConn starts Azzi as part of a 4-guard lineup, they would basically start the #1 rated guard from 4 of the last 5 classes, all of whom have size, the ability to knock down 3’s and beat defenders off the dribble. It would be a fascinating matchup vs SC, with the Gamecocks trying to pound the ball into the paint and UConn forcing SC’s Bigs to defend out on the perimeter.
Yes it would be a fascinating matchup. One I think we may see for periods of the game. I am most interested to see which coach uses his players in what match ups or which coach puts out their players and in effect says this is our best this is the way we play, beat us if you can. From recent experience Dawn has had a we have the power this is how we play mentality power is our game. This year I expect that to continue however knowing that she has an exceptionally quick point and 2-3 new players who could change the way SC plays the game. I wait with anticipation and interest to see which coach controls the tempo, dictates style and pace, while watching our Husky's execute and fill the roles Geno puts them in. A big one for sure, our biggest rivalry in many ways. I can't wait for what I hope becomes a sloberknocker of a game. :cool:.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes it would be a fascinating matchup. One I think we may see for periods of the game. I am most interested to see which coach uses his players in what match ups or which coach puts out their players and in effect says this is our best this is the way we play, beat us if you can. From recent experience Dawn has had a we have the power this is how we play mentality power is our game. This year I expect that to continue however knowing that she has an exceptionally quick point and 2-3 new players who could change the way SC plays the game. I wait with anticipation and interest to see which coach controls the tempo, dictates style and pace, while watching our Husky's execute and fill the roles Geno puts them in. A big one for sure, our biggest rivalry in many ways. I can't wait for what I hope becomes a sloberknocker of a game. :cool:.
Dawn’s biggest challenge this coming season will be how to manage the PT of Boston, Amihere, Cardosa & Saxton. I honestly don’t think she can effectively use more than two of her Bigs at the same time.

Reaction Score
I’m a mediocre coach at best. I need to be more aggressive. I need to lose weight and get into better shape. I need to teach shooting more and attacking the basket. I need to get off the couch. I need to stop being so needy.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Dawn’s biggest challenge this coming season will be how to manage the PT of Boston, Amihere, Cardosa & Saxton. I honestly don’t think she can effectively use more than two of her Bigs at the same time.
I agree with with your points, but believe that Dawn will try to control the game using her bigs in excess. In any event the game offers so much for us, so much we will learn about both teams. I am most interested to see if we try to match bigs against bigs. Do we try to run them into the floor. Every team has an M.O. an over riding style of play. Will ours's be enough in big games as well as conference games to dominate. That said I do want some games that we have to scratch and claw to get the W, where Geno has to dig deep and really push the team hard. I want the team battle hard and tested by tourney time, I want it all we are ready for the next NC.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I’m a mediocre coach at best. I need to be more aggressive. I need to lose weight and get into better shape. I need to teach shooting more and attacking the basket. I need to get off the couch. I need to stop being so needy.
I think I get it. Nope I know I get it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think some folks have forgotten or don't know what a full strength Azzi Fudd game looks like........you don't become a multiple player of the year for no reason....

:eek: Is this the same player that won the Gatorade HS POY as a Sophomore? That kid was pretty good, what ever became of her?

Reaction Score
why does it matter what Dawn does? Some people here say she can't coach she can only recruit. It shouldn't matter what she does then.

Reaction Score
It all comes down to which lineup gives you the best opportunity to win. Most teams do not start 2 Bigs. SC does, but Stanford does not, even though they have the players to do so. Geno wants to spread the floor on offense. With Stewie & Tuck, he could still spread the floor because both were capable 3-pt shooters.

If UConn starts Azzi as part of a 4-guard lineup, they would basically start the #1 rated guard from 4 of the last 5 classes, all of whom have size, the ability to knock down 3’s and beat defenders off the dribble. It would be a fascinating matchup vs SC, with the Gamecocks trying to pound the ball into the paint and UConn forcing SC’s Bigs to defend out on the perimeter.
Agree with your points especially about matchups and Geno's tendency to play those that give him the best ability to win. My point is that this coming year, other teams will need to match up with UConn's inside game. Few have the players to take on 2 bigs at a time (when was the last time you heard that related to Huskies?). Relying on 3 pointers is a solid strategy but you usually have a few cold spells. We have seen many teams the past few years with slower players having success zoning the Huskie shooters. Having a balance between pounding the ball inside for high % shots while opening the shooting lanes for the guards rarely fails.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Derek Willis of Her Hoop Stats wrote up a summary of the u19 team and spent some time on Azzi Fudd that I thought BY'ers might find interesting:

"It’s odd to think of Fudd, the consensus top recruit, as a role player, but she often drew the assignment of guarding the opposition’s leading scorer. In the gold medal game she spent much of her time shadowing guard Jade Melbourne, who had scored 20 and 19 points in Australia’s previous two games but ended up with just seven points in the final.

"For UConn fans wondering how Fudd’s recovery from a severe knee injury would impact her shot, the good news is that despite a poor shooting performance against Australia, she hit 49% of her shots overall and 52% from long range. Fudd’s 13 threes were second on the team to
Clark."

Here's the whole piece:

Some "Dillon druthers" from the article:

- One of the many aspects of Sonia Citron's performance that I enjoyed was her consistency: the fact that she reached double figures every game is one example.

- Like the author, I was also jotting down notes for international players that could be collegiate and/or WNBA players. Sike Kone, the powerful forward from Mali, was the clear first thought. The 6'3" paint pounder is 19 and plays for Gran Canaria in Spain.

However, I also liked Julia Boros, the pesky 5'9" combo guard from Hungary who led her team to the bronze, leading them in both scoring and assists along the way. She's 19 and plays for BEAC, Ujboda in her native country.

Any other thoughts from BY'ers?

- And this article identifies what happened/where Jewell Spear was: Turns out that she entered the heath and safety protocol on Aug. 8. And this was not announced because ??? Well, at least we know she wasn't a team disruptor or wasn't spirited away by the Belarus secret police. C'mon USA, you let us know about KLS! Spear's 19 and is an adult.

Reaction Score
Agree with your points especially about matchups and Geno's tendency to play those that give him the best ability to win. My point is that this coming year, other teams will need to match up with UConn's inside game. Few have the players to take on 2 bigs at a time (when was the last time you heard that related to Huskies?). Relying on 3 pointers is a solid strategy but you usually have a few cold spells. We have seen many teams the past few years with slower players having success zoning the Huskie shooters. Having a balance between pounding the ball inside for high % shots while opening the shooting lanes for the guards rarely fails.

Just because you're tall doesn't mean you can score efficiently/effectively. Liv can't score and Griff can't score so far. And if Dorka can't hit her free throws, why would UCONN want to be even close to an inside team when they have Paige, Azzi and CWill as probable big time scorers?

Reaction Score
Derek Willis of Her Hoop Stats wrote up a summary of the u19 team and spent some time on Azzi Fudd that I thought BY'ers might find interesting:

"It’s odd to think of Fudd, the consensus top recruit, as a role player, but she often drew the assignment of guarding the opposition’s leading scorer. In the gold medal game she spent much of her time shadowing guard Jade Melbourne, who had scored 20 and 19 points in Australia’s previous two games but ended up with just seven points in the final.

"For UConn fans wondering how Fudd’s recovery from a severe knee injury would impact her shot, the good news is that despite a poor shooting performance against Australia, she hit 49% of her shots overall and 52% from long range. Fudd’s 13 threes were second on the team to
Clark."

Here's the whole piece:

Some "Dillon druthers" from the article:

- One of the many aspects of Sonia Citron's performance that I enjoyed was her consistency: the fact that she reached double figures every game is one example.

- Like the author, I was also jotting down notes for international players that could be collegiate and/or WNBA players. Sike Kone, the powerful forward from Mali, was the clear first thought. The 6'3" paint pounder is 19 and plays for Gran Canaria in Spain.

However, I also liked Julia Boros, the pesky 5'9" combo guard from Hungary who led her team to the bronze, leading them in both scoring and assists along the way. She's 19 and plays for BEAC, Ujboda in her native country.

Any other thoughts from BY'ers?

- And this article identifies what happened/where Jewell Spear was: Turns out that she entered the heath and safety protocol on Aug. 8. And this was not announced because ??? Well, at least we know she wasn't a team disruptor or wasn't spirited away by the Belarus secret police. C'mon USA, you let us know about KLS! Spear's 19 and is an adult.
Thanks so much for the Fudd info. I just didn't know enough about the other players like I do in college to recognize she was consistently guarding the other team's best player and gave them the Kia Nurse treatment. Good for her.

This goes with my thoughts all along. I think the other guards on the team have developed offensive one on one games but not an all around game like Azzi. Close had to do the best with what she had. They needed Azzi's all around game more than her scoring... and they got it from her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom