Some schedule updates | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Some schedule updates

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
To me it looks like the teams that are traveling a farther distance get the better match ups, and those better match ups can increase their strength of schedule.

For instance, Niagara us traveling from far away, so they get UCLA & a top team to increase their SOS with LSU.
I don't believe that there's anything sinister going on with Kim. & LSU.
LSU plays a strong conference schedule & isn't traveling all that far, so they're playing Niagara, & Virginia is an upcoming SEC team that is traveling from farther away or similar to the distance that LSU is traveling.
So they're playing.

It all makes perfect if you use the distances traveled along with the conference that each team plays in & their SOS.

UConn & UCLA are both traveling from far away so that get to meet to avoid traveling again in the future to meet.
Both teams can enjoy the boost to their SOS, & Kansas is also traveling pretty far & gets to play UConn as a reward to their SOS.
It makes the best use of the travel investment.

IMO it's all perfect & without any conspiracy by the tournament officials.
The management simply scheduled the games that seemed to make the most sense primarily by travel distance.
Forget the conspiracy drama, just play the basketball games.
I'm sure that the tournament officials are aware of how each team performed in the post season last year.
UConn has more to prove than LSU, plus UConn plays a weaker conference schedule & is playing games in Europe.
What the hell does distance have to do with matchups? There are 4 top flight teams with a NC as a goal for this year. Those 4 teams should have played one game involving them for the sake of the tournament. LSU is scheduled to play VT later, so I understand why they aren't matched up, although UConn and SC did play in the Bahamas even though they were scheduled later that season. So, to do the smart thing, UConn should be playing VT so LSU could play UCLA. I really don't understand why the defending NC are matched up with 2 of the weakest competitors. A mid- major and a low major, but of course these matchups reflect Kims OOC scheduling for the last few years. It is amazing how she gets away with this, so I'm hoping that UConn smashes both UCLA and Kansas and LSU struggles with the bottom feeders. As a result, UConn will take over the #1 spot in the polls.

Reaction Score
I think one of these tournaments is only on FloSports.
I'll use the Varsity App instead, if they broadcast them.

Reaction Score
They would if they both make the finals.
It appears this is not a real tournament though, so there won't be a final. It's just two games against two predetermined opponents. Given that there are eight teams, you'd need three games to crown a champ if it were a true tournament.

sun

Reaction Score
Last season LSU played 2 SEC teams in the top 25 and went 1-1. The SEC is a strong conference only in comparison. Real SOS is the elite games a team plays. Those are also what builds popularity in wcbb, not 120-30 scores.
Mulkey has the right to schedule who she wants. What ticks me off is the media not pointing out the truth.
I don't agree that the media didn't point out the truth.
That's all the media talked about was how LSU was ranked as a #3 seed in the March Madness bracket when they were ranked #2 nationally in the NET.
All the news stories talked about was LSU's cupcake OOC schedule & how they were untested against ranked opponents.
And LSU also bowed out of the SEC Tourney early. when #4 seed LSU only beat #7 Georgia before losing to #3 Tennessee.
There wasn't any media cover up.
LSU wasn't favored to win the NC or even the SEC Championship, Scar was the big favorite & losing to Iowa was a huge upset.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Who plays who isn't really a thing we should/can be concerned about here. Someone said (I believe that these games are exhibition, they aren't) What we should be really concerned about is it's on Flosports! I realize that UConn has no say in who broadcasts this event, however, I hope the 'Classic' shops for another broadcast partner after the current contract expires. Seems to me ESPN would pay more and broadcast to a much larger audience that this third rate company that they have now.

Reaction Score
I don't agree that the media didn't point out the truth.
That's all the media talked about was how LSU was ranked as a #3 seed in the March Madness bracket when they were ranked #2 nationally in the NET.
All the news stories talked about was LSU's cupcake OOC schedule & how they were untested against ranked opponents.
And LSU also bowed out of the SEC Tourney early. when #4 seed LSU only beat #7 Georgia before losing to #3 Tennessee.
There wasn't any media cover up.
LSU wasn't favored to win the NC or even the SEC Championship, Scar was the big favorite & losing to Iowa was a huge upset.

The No 3 seed was given by the NCAA, not the media. If you want to see how the media thought about LSU's schedule (especially their OOC), look at the AP polls. That's how meaningful SOS was to the AP. Read ESPN's Power 25 articles and see how they put on blinders when extolling not only LSU but also Reese. "Reese pours in 35" with no mention that the opponent was ranked 340th in D1, making them in essence a DII program.

sun

Reaction Score
The No 3 seed was given by the NCAA, not the media. If you want to see how the media thought about LSU's schedule (especially their OOC), look at the AP polls. That's how meaningful SOS was to the AP. Read ESPN's Power 25 articles and see how they put on blinders when extolling not only LSU but also Reese. "Reese pours in 35" with no mention that the opponent was ranked 340th in D1, making them in essence a DII program.
The AP poll only provides more evidence that reinforces what I'm saying, that LSU wasn't over-rated.
On March 6, 2023, LSU was ranked #9 in the AP poll.
Nothing about LSU's cupcake schedule was covered up by the national media.
LSU's record was 28-2 & Iowa was ranked #2 by the AP at 26-6 & look which team prevailed.
It was the AP's underdog LSU.
Iowa was also seeded #2 by the NCAA, higher than LSU.
Both the media & the NCAA ranked LSU lower than Iowa.
That illustrates that there wasn't any cover up by the media.
LSU won the NC game on April 2 almost a month after the last regular season AP poll.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
There are no finals. Each team plays two predetermined opponents, 2 games in 2 days

There is a difference between a “tournament” and a “showcase.” In a guaranteed number of games tournament, teams are placed in a bracket. After the first round, who you play next is determined by whether you win or lose. You advance to either the winner’s side of the bracket or the loser's side.

In a “showcase”, the teams you play are predetermined. It’s a matter of semantics, but it’s understood by the general public what kind of format is being used based on what it is. A tournament or a showcase. This is called a “classic”, so you can’t assume it has a tournament type of format.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom