Some schedule updates | The Boneyard

Some schedule updates

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
D00A86CB-2C7A-4902-AB18-B25C30223EAF.jpeg

Reaction Score
They’re playing one of them and Virginia. How they managed to not play UConn, UCLA or Va. Tech is beyond me.
Because this isn't really a tournament. It's just a collection of teams playing two games against each other in the same venue. Maybe whoever put the tournament together didn't know LSU and UConn were really good teams and didn't think to pair them up.

Reaction Score
They’re playing one of them and Virginia. How they managed to not play UConn, UCLA or Va. Tech is beyond me.
VT isn’t an option as both play each other two weeks later

VT doesn’t face ucla or UConn either. What a weird group of matchups

Reaction Score
Mulkey def ducked UCONN per her normal history. This year she has zero excuses she’s the defending “champ”.

Meanwhile all the other years while she was at Baylor (minus the griner years and the 2 cox years that they were favorites) she would always say it’s a rebuild year and tout her conference.
Hope she goes undefeated in her conference play this year because if she doesn’t she’s in for a rude awakening from the ncaa seeding committee

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I don’t know this for fact, but I’m guessing that before teams (coaches) agree to play in tournaments, they are told who they will play. They don’t agree blindly to participate in a tournament without knowing who they will play.

Coaches try to build confidence and chemistry during the preseason portion of their season. Some coaches don’t want to play a team that could potentially blow them out, and destroy the confidence and chemistry they’ve built up to that point. Of course, they won’t admit to the media that you prefer not to play certain teams. The media would have a field day with that admission.

Somebody has to play LSU and UConn. If you are a mid-major or an unranked team, you will be compensated more handsomely for agreeing to play those teams. Otherwise, why do it? Kansas knows they don’t have a snowball’s chance in hates of winning that game.

The tournament organizers made them an offer ($$$) that was hard to refuse. Coaches have their own reasons for not wanting to play certain teams.

Reaction Score
Because this isn't really a tournament. It's just a collection of teams playing two games against each other in the same venue. Maybe whoever put the tournament together didn't know LSU and UConn were really good teams and didn't think to pair them up.
Joanne P McCallie serves as Executive Director of the tournament. Surprising she allowed the planners to schedule only one marquee game among LSU, VA Tech, UConn and UCLA. It would have brought greater interest to have two games with presumed highly ranked schools playing one another. Conspiracy theorists might suggest a particular coach with a track record for scheduling weak non-conference opponents made it a condition of participation to duck the other top three schools…

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think we got the decent draw. Don't have to play Niagara or Tulane.

Kansas with the best draw, Virginia Tech and UCONN.

Only played Kansas twice, not since '96. UCLA 7 times, last in '21.

Reaction Score
Joanne P McCallie serves as Executive Director of the tournament. Surprising she allowed the planners to schedule only one marquee game among LSU, VA Tech, UConn and UCLA. It would have brought greater interest to have two games with presumed highly ranked schools playing one another. Conspiracy theorists might suggest a particular coach with a track record for scheduling weak non-conference opponents made it a condition of participation to duck the other top three schools…
A lot of teams play their preseason schedule ahead of time and can only have so many potential losses in the group. It makes no sense for LSU or UCONN to play two very good opponents over a weekend. You risk injury and an early season loss when the idea at that point of the season is to build chemistry.

Reaction Score
A lot of teams play their preseason schedule ahead of time and can only have so many potential losses in the group. It makes no sense for LSU or UCONN to play two very good opponents over a weekend. You risk injury and an early season loss when the idea at that point of the season is to build chemistry.

Not buying this. Teams risk injury no matter who or when they are playing. This tourney is not to build chemistry. That's what exhibition games are for.

Reaction Score
I don’t know this for fact, but I’m guessing that before teams (coaches) agree to play in tournaments, they are told who they will play. They don’t agree blindly to participate in a tournament without knowing who they will play.

Coaches try to build confidence and chemistry during the preseason portion of their season. Some coaches don’t want to play a team that could potentially blow them out, and destroy the confidence and chemistry they’ve built up to that point. Of course, they won’t admit to the media that you prefer not to play certain teams. The media would have a field day with that admission.

Somebody has to play LSU and UConn. If you are a mid-major or an unranked team, you will be compensated more handsomely for agreeing to play those teams. Otherwise, why do it? Kansas knows they don’t have a snowball’s chance in hates of winning that game.

The tournament organizers made them an offer ($$$) that was hard to refuse. Coaches have their own reasons for not wanting to play certain teams.
Good points Carnac. I’m guessing it’s actually a two way conversation. The tourney tells teams who they’d like to see them play and the teams indicate who they’re willing to play. Then it’s negotiated out from there.

sun

Reaction Score
To me it looks like the teams that are traveling a farther distance get the better match ups, and those better match ups can increase their strength of schedule.

For instance, Niagara us traveling from far away, so they get UCLA & a top team to increase their SOS with LSU.
I don't believe that there's anything sinister going on with Kim. & LSU.
LSU plays a strong conference schedule & isn't traveling all that far, so they're playing Niagara, & Virginia is an upcoming SEC team that is traveling from farther away or similar to the distance that LSU is traveling.
So they're playing.

It all makes perfect if you use the distances traveled along with the conference that each team plays in & their SOS.

UConn & UCLA are both traveling from far away so that get to meet to avoid traveling again in the future to meet.
Both teams can enjoy the boost to their SOS, & Kansas is also traveling pretty far & gets to play UConn as a reward to their SOS.
It makes the best use of the travel investment.

IMO it's all perfect & without any conspiracy by the tournament officials.
The management simply scheduled the games that seemed to make the most sense primarily by travel distance.
Forget the conspiracy drama, just play the basketball games.
I'm sure that the tournament officials are aware of how each team performed in the post season last year.
UConn has more to prove than LSU, plus UConn plays a weaker conference schedule & is playing games in Europe.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To me it looks like the teams that are traveling a farther distance get the better match ups, and those better match ups can increase their strength of schedule.

For instance, Niagara us traveling from far away, so they get UCLA & a top team to increase their SOS with LSU.
I don't believe that there's anything sinister going on with Kim. & LSU.
LSU plays a strong conference schedule & isn't traveling all that far, so they're playing Niagara, & Virginia is an upcoming SEC team that is traveling from farther away or similar to the distance that LSU is traveling.
So they're playing.

It all makes perfect if you use the distances traveled along with the conference that each team plays in & their SOS.

UConn & UCLA are both traveling from far away so that get to meet to avoid traveling again in the future to meet.
Both teams can enjoy the boost to their SOS, & Kansas is also traveling pretty far & gets to play UConn as a reward to their SOS.
It makes the best use of the travel investment.

IMO it's all perfect & without any conspiracy by the tournament officials.
The management simply scheduled the games that seemed to make the most sense primarily by travel distance.
Forget the conspiracy drama, just play the basketball games.
I'm sure that the tournament officials are aware of how each team performed in the post season last year.
UConn has more to prove than LSU, plus UConn plays a weaker conference schedule & is playing games in Europe.

Last season LSU played 2 SEC teams in the top 25 and went 1-1. The SEC is a strong conference only in comparison. Real SOS is the elite games a team plays. Those are also what builds popularity in wcbb, not 120-30 scores.
Mulkey has the right to schedule who she wants. What ticks me off is the media not pointing out the truth.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom