Some positives! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Some positives!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think Vance and Durham have both showed enough signs already this year that by next year I think one at least will tighten their games to the point of being consistently reliable.

If our injuries don't hamper anyone by the time the games start next year, I think both Vance and Durham have showed enough to be relied upon in complementary roles, which makes me excited because our backcourt of a more mature Adams, MAL and Gilbert, with Larrier as a G/F combo, is incredibly exciting.

Then hopefully Steve can make the leap to at least be reliable at the 5...
It's so hard to predict who makes leaps in their development and who doesn't. It's also hard to know how much a leap players can make year over year or even within a season. Same with regression. It's why I like watching sports. I don't know outcomes in advance.
Here's some snark as opposed to being professorial. The way people react to players or games or seasons, makes me wonder if they'd be better served watching only reruns of movies they love or seasons that have turned out the way they needed. Why put yourself through pain if you can't handle it?
Of course I have a decent understanding of my rhetorical question. And I do have to say a number of people who post here don't just run off to teams that are successful when the chips are down.

All this is a preamble to my concerns for next season. You touch upon the most salient shortcoming - a proven reliable big. I'm excited about the potential of the other parts, but the lack of playing time, never mind the lack of playing time together, has me cautiously optimistic at best.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
PurvisG 30 0-4 0-3 2-2 0 2 2 3 0 0 2 2 2 A little off subject but this is Rodney's line last night. A remarkably unproductive 30 minutes of basketball. The highlights being he went 2 for 2 from the free throw line, had 2 D rebounds, and had one more assist than turnover. I know the game was a team stinker and I know after last season I lobbied for RP to return when other prescient BY minds wanted him to graduate and hit the road so... I want to confess how wrong I was. He was so lame last night it was unforgivable. Ollie actually benched him when UConn had no bench! I'm not worried though, I'm sore he'll kick some butt vs. ECU or USF. I'm just talking hoops between the lines. This is not a character assassination.

Reaction Score
The biggest key next year will be Enoch if Larrier and Jackson are our forwards. Steve is going to have to rebound better and stay out of early foul trouble.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
It's so hard to predict who makes leaps in their development and who doesn't. It's also hard to know how much a leap players can make year over year or even within a season. Same with regression. It's why I like watching sports. I don't know outcomes in advance.
Here's some snark as opposed to being professorial. The way people react to players or games or seasons, makes me wonder if they'd be better served watching only reruns of movies they love or seasons that have turned out the way they needed. Why put yourself through pain if you can't handle it?
Of course I have a decent understanding of my rhetorical question. And I do have to say a number of people who post here don't just run off to teams that are successful when the chips are down.

All this is a preamble to my concerns for next season. You touch upon the most salient shortcoming - a proven reliable big. I'm excited about the potential of the other parts, but the lack of playing time, never mind the lack of playing time together, has me cautiously optimistic at best.

Totally. There are multiple concerns for next year, but the way I see it is every team has concerns going into the season.

The second aspect of it is that we've had much success with role playing bigs, not focus of the offense-All-Americans...

They did their roles VERY well, don't get me wrong, and the team won't be successful without THAT, but they don't necessarily have to be dominant.

Heck, forget our history, not many teams in college have dominant interior players.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Totally. There are multiple concerns for next year, but the way I see it is every team has concerns going into the season.

The second aspect of it is that we've had much success with role playing bigs, not focus of the offense-All-Americans...

They did their roles VERY well, don't get me wrong, and the team won't be successful without THAT, but they don't necessarily have to be dominant.

Heck, forget our history, not many teams in college have dominant interior players.
Right. Blue collar rebounders and shot blockers. Anything more is gravy. Anything less is fatal.

Reaction Score
The biggest key next year will be Enoch if Larrier and Jackson are our forwards. Steve is going to have to rebound better and stay out of early foul trouble.

Yeah I agree and there's no guarantee there. Amazing how little we know about the front line - Enoch getting better, Durham getting stronger and more confident, Diarra and Larrier getting healthy, can Vance fill the 3/4 a little we know he can score a little now can he defend a bigger guy? Maybe a new body ready and able to play ? I'm guessing they will be looking.

Way too early but no guarantee we will be better at the 5 or as good. Hard to look at next year but we do have to, it is a huge year for the program no doubt. I think people step up and mature and all will be fine, but again no guarantee.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Vance can play as a stretch 4 next year. There is an opening at the 4 and I don't see anyone on the roster who's going to be a no brainer there. Durham, if he improves a lot, maybe. But Vance has more size than Larrier (Larrier will be needed at the 3 anyway) and I think he could hold his own at the 4 against most teams.

Despite Ollie's tendency to go big, I think his teams have always looked better when he goes with a four like Jackson, tlrather than a traditional 4. (Sliding Giffey over)

We should play find a way for Our best 5 to be on the court next season.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

It's the type of role that matters though. The thing they need is a rebounding defensive machine down low. I don't see those guys on the roster next year. I'd die for a Jeff Adrien. I'd happily accept an Oriakhi. Heck, I'd like a Marcus White.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Getting a burly power forward with a nose for loose balls would be a nice spring surprise. Or Bamba, whichever....

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
It's the type of role that matters though. The thing they need is a rebounding defensive machine down low. I don't see those guys on the roster next year. I'd die for a Jeff Adrien. I'd happily accept an Oriakhi. Heck, I'd like a Marcus White.

Agreed. Maybe Enoch or Diarra can be an Oriakhi-level producer and we can add Larrier/Jackson/Durham as longer wings who should rebound.

That's my ideal scenario for next year into 18.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Lost in this dismal season is that the team has significantly improved it's rebounding relative to last season. We were projecting with DHam's departure it would have been significantly worse.

Still I'm hoping it get's better but I'd like a more well rounded Big than what we've gotten from Amidah and seen so far from Steve and not just a savant rebounder or savant blocker.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Lost in this dismal season is that the team has significantly improved it's rebounding relative to last season. We were projecting with DHam's departure it would have been significantly worse.

Still I'm hoping it get's better but I'd like a more well rounded Big than what we've gotten from Amidah and seen so far from Steve and not just a savant rebounder or savant blocker.

I'd take a Roscoe Smith in an instant. That's the kind of guy I'm talking about.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
PurvisG 30 0-4 0-3 2-2 0 2 2 3 0 0 2 2 2 A little off subject but this is Rodney's line last night. A remarkably unproductive 30 minutes of basketball. The highlights being he went 2 for 2 from the free throw line, had 2 D rebounds, and had one more assist than turnover. I know the game was a team stinker and I know after last season I lobbied for RP to return when other prescient BY minds wanted him to graduate and hit the road so... I want to confess how wrong I was. He was so lame last night it was unforgivable. Ollie actually benched him when UConn had no bench! I'm not worried though, I'm sore he'll kick some butt vs. ECU or USF. I'm just talking hoops between the lines. This is not a character assassination.
It was the first time this season he was deflated. That second foul was questionable at best. Kid lowered his shoulder into Rodney. Posters here normally would have gone postal for the kid but it's Rodney and given the season he's had, I'm sure a couple of people who might have come to his defense were glad he was riding pine. Not much commentary that the biggest runs for SMU took place while he sat.

C

Chief00

Larrier doesn't have as much bulk and he's a better ball handler than Vance. So I think Larrier at the 3 and Vance at the 4 is better. But you're right, Vance will have to become a better rebounder for that to be a good line up.

I agree put Larrier at the 3 and Jackson at the 4 on defense. Larrier is quicker assuming he recovers ok and Jackson has more bulk and is smart enough to get position, box out etc. Most rebounds are gotten below the rim so the horizontal game is important - just simple things like expecting the rebound on the weak side, keeping contact with your man etc.

C

Chief00

It was the first time this season he was deflated. That second foul was questionable at best. Kid lowered his shoulder into Rodney. Posters here normally would have gone postal for the kid but it's Rodney and given the season he's had, I'm sure a couple of people who might have come to his defense were glad he was riding pine. Not much commentary that the biggest runs for SMU took place while he sat.
The other part is he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt from the refs after 4 years of bad habits. Maybe that's unfair but that's how it works. Ask Mr Brimah.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
This is crazy to say; I know its not why they lost, but the refs gave SMU a jumpstart. Started with the so-called travel on Vance. Couldn't believe the guy would make a call like that. Ref was unabsructed and closest to Vance. I can name more instances as well. Not until the game was in SMU''s hands did it stop. For my wife to say this game looks like it may be fixed a little is saying something. She doesn't dare speak that way if she can help it.

This reminds me of the story told by our late great Wes Bialosuknia. When he was team captain we played SMU at Moody Coliseum in the mid 60's. When he met with the zebras at midcourt before the game, one of the refs warmly greeted the SMU captain and asked him how his mother was doing after a hospital stay, referring to her by her given name. Wes said he knew right then we were going to lose that game before it started. Sure enough, SMU won 80-68. Our record against them was 0-1 for a very long time.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
The other part is he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt from the refs after 4 years of bad habits. Maybe that's unfair but that's how it works. Ask Mr Brimah.
Totally agree.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Not sure he would have the muscle to compete versus today's centers.
At the time of the the first NBA draft that he was eligible he was 6-9 and 238. Attitude and skills are more important than "muscle" although I would say at that size he would be competitive today. Rod Sellers Player Profile, Connecticut, NCAA Stats, Awards - RealGM. DHam and Roscoe were not known as muscle men. They were good at getting position and could get up there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom