Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley | Page 25 | The Boneyard

Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We count taking money out of students' pockets as revenue too.

It is revenue.

I was talking about the word "makes." Athletics "makes."

Athletics "takes" is more like it.

In Trenton, they say, "Trenton makes, the world takes." Probably not true there anymore either.

Reaction Score
I can see Pitt making a big push for Hurley since they supposedly missed out on their first few options (not sure who they were) and are probably feeling the pressure not to end up with a no name. Going > $3.5mm and 5 years for Hurley seems crazy, but the comment about the east coast vs. midwest thing seems misplaced (unless it was a dig on Pitt, which is cool). They had their only real success in decades by being an east coast-centric school. I can't imagine them recruiting the midwest for the ACC, and they can't compete with the southern ACC schools in that region. The ACC has a known void between Boston and the Carolinas. It would be smart for Pitt to focus on that void.

The Hurley situation reminds me of UConn and the ACC. We were the early favorites, and then we just got beat down. Hopefully we'll come out winners here, but hopefully the AD has a second option ready to go immediately.
With no real access to NYC with any regularity (BET), and no teams in the NE except Syracuse, Pitt's not really an east coast team anymore. They aren't going to beat out Syracuse, Duke, Villanova (and soon UConn) on those TriState kids, so they're better option is mining southern and midwest areas, and trying to be more national like UConn was in the early 1990s. NE kids are unlikely to consistently go to Pitt, and NJ kids might, but if they're really good they'll go elsewhere, so Hurley's connections aren't as strong at Pitt as they are at UConn.

Reaction Score
With no real access to NYC with any regularity (BET), and no teams in the NE except Syracuse, Pitt's not really an east coast team anymore. They aren't going to beat out Syracuse, Duke, Villanova (and soon UConn) on those TriState kids, so they're better option is mining southern and midwest areas, and trying to be more national like UConn was in the early 1990s. NE kids are unlikely to consistently go to Pitt, and NJ kids might, but if they're really good they'll go elsewhere, so Hurley's connections aren't as strong at Pitt as they are at UConn.

Agreed. The Pitt job seems like a death sentence in the ACC. They got into the conference of their choosing and have the safety of the ACC but I don't think they'll be relevant on the hoops scene for a very long time due to the reasons you mentioned.

Reaction Score
In my wildest dreams I couldn't imagine spending as much time as you do on this board in a constant state of anger and frustration. You are constantly in either a sarcastic or hostile state in your interactions with fellow posters. Honestly, I find it bizarre.
Life is too short to deal with nonsense like that and some people just enjoy being miserable, ignore!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Everyone wants to be first with the story, but there is no story yet because he hasn't made an announcement, and everyone else is guessing based on their best information.

I am guessing that UConn presented an offer that it felt confident he would accept, and that he gave them enough comfort that it would be acceptable that they still feel confident based on whatever information was gleaned over the past few months or more. But he said he wants to go back and talk with URI's AD just to close it out the right way.

I am also guessing that Pitt's offer--likely the richest and yet the least likely to be accepted--caused him to reconsider his priorities and think about what matters most to him, in that Pitt would mean more money, better conference, better city and lower expectations than UConn.

All of which could lead him back to URI, if URI is able to step up to the table with a significant raise and an even more significant investment in its facilities. It's clearly the lowest risk for him, and in some ways the greatest likelihood of continued success.

I have no idea what URI's ability is to commit to an investment in its facilities that would satisfy Hurley enough for him to stay, but I think today is a monumental day in the history of both of our programs. If Hurley leaves URI, they are undoubtedly taking a huge step backwards instead of capitalizing on what he has built there. If he stays, UConn has struck out in a major way on its universally acknowledged top choice, and his choice to stay with a lower-tier program within the region will speak volumes about the directions of our respective programs. And we will be rudderless and still potentially on the hook for Ollie's contract, with our best hope being someone who everyone knows was far from our first choice to replace him.

"You should be a lawyer."

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I don't think the Pitt job is as bad as people are making it out to be... it's not like Pitt is a wasteland of a basketball school. They have a history of some success, are in the ACC, and Hurley has a track record of turning programs around, quickly. Not a bad gig for $3 mil+. Plus he can start fresh with his own footprint.

Having said that, the UConn job is better, assuming Jalen/AG/Wilson/etc. are staying. And assuming UConn are offering in the $3 mil range.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Pitt, despite their Tournament failures, was arguably the best or one of the best programs Big East for the last decade before leaving for the ACC.

Duke and UNC are always going to be tough to top, but they competed and beat the best among UConn, Louisville, Cuse, etc. all those years as well.

Reaction Score
This same article has been posted multiple times here, it's not a reputable enough source to solely confirm the story.

if we post it enough times maybe it then becomes a reputable source on it's own, which then of course makes it 100% true

Reaction Score
Pitt, despite their Tournament failures, was arguably the best or one of the best programs Big East for the last decade before leaving for the ACC.

Duke and UNC are always going to be tough to top, but they competed and beat the best among UConn, Louisville, Cuse, etc. all those years as well.
The best program in the BE doesn't have a Final Four? In their "dominant" time, Syracuse, UConn and Louisville all won a title in the conference.

Those three, plus Villanova, Georgetown, and West Virginia all went to the Final Four (add in Marquette, who did it in the time range but from CUSA if you want).

Oh, the glory days of Pitt basketball!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
As tzznandrew said, a huge part of that success was the NYC pipeline they established. That isn't carrying over to the ACC, even with a Northeast guy like Hurley IMO.

Is it though? Or it something we just continually say here and assume to be true?

Going back through the years...these are some of the guys that I've identified as good/great players for the program who were NJ/NYC players.

Probably not too dissimiliar from any other program in the northeast. I think the idea they were overly reliant on NJ/NYC kids is a bit overblown.

Ashton Gibbs (haha) West Orange, NJ
Travon Woodall Jersey City, NJ

Levance Fields Brooklyn, NY

Ronald Ramon Bronx, NY

Chris Taft Brooklyn, NY

Brandon Knight East Orange NJ
Ricardo Greer New York, NY
Carl Krauser Bronx, NY

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Is it though? Or it something we just continually say here and assume to be true?

Going back through the years...these are some of the guys that I've identified as good/great players for the program who were NJ/NYC players.

Probably not too dissimiliar from any other program in the northeast. I think the idea they were overly reliant on NJ/NYC kids is a bit overblown.

Ronald Ramon Bronx, NY

Chris Taft Brooklyn, NY

Carl Krauser Bronx, NY
How about ours?

Reaction Score

Ronald Ramon Bronx, NY

Chris Taft Brooklyn, NY

Carl Krauser Bronx, NY
By and large, those were among their very best players. They haven't made it out of the first weekend since 2009. Notice what stopped happening?

Reaction Score
Too many variables (Pitt in the picture and panicking while having deeper pockets, the AAUP can try to block the hire) for me to believe that a decision is imminent. I'll believe it when he's introduced at a press conference.

I really hope that the AD and legal folks did their homework.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I don't think the Pitt job is as bad as people are making it out to be... it's not like Pitt is a wasteland of a basketball school. They have a history of some success, are in the ACC, and Hurley has a track record of turning programs around, quickly. Not a bad gig for $3 mil+. Plus he can start fresh with his own footprint.

Having said that, the UConn job is better, assuming Jalen/AG/Wilson/etc. are staying. And assuming UConn are offering in the $3 mil range.

Pitt is a good job, but I think there's obviously merit to the fact that they're losing their whole team basically and that they aren't in an ideal recruiting spot. I do think we're a better job.

Reaction Score
Some URI fans believe that the reason URI doesn't get more state money is that all the state legislators went to private schools like PC. Or something.
It is possible. NE is weird like that. West Coasters, Midwesterners, and Southerners all love their state schools. Until UConn burst onto the scene in the 1990s with men's and women's basketball, it was hard to get the state to invest because most of the leaders of the state had gone to the private schools. Same here in MA: UMass-Amherst is a fine school, but BC, BU, Harvard, Tufts, Brandeis, Amherst, Williams, etc. is where the best in-state talent goes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer