Some Collier practice highlights | The Boneyard

Some Collier practice highlights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
She is the real deal. I saw her ability to handle and shoot in the u17 I believe last summer. She also has a very good 3. She only needs to get stronger so she can hang on to those incredible rebounds she hauls in. The extra strength will also help her stay on those nice moves she makes after being bumped. I hope coach gives her more opportunities this year.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
She is the real deal. I saw her ability to handle and shoot in the u17 I believe last summer. She also has a very good 3. She only needs to get stronger so she can hang on to those incredible rebounds she hauls in. The extra strength will also help her stay on those nice moves she makes after being bumped. I hope coach gives her more opportunities this year.
Yeah true. Last year she would sky in get the rebound but just didn't have the upper body strength to get the ball back up. I know they are working with her on that.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Great to see this......remember she had surgery on her hip for a torn labrum only a few months ago. Nice to see her moving so easily.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She will be another Morgan Tuck.

With that handle she may be out of position playing 4.

Funny you should say that, and this is going to sound hypercritical. Napheesa is a long legged girl, & her dribble is too high. Watch Morgan execute some of the same sequence and notice Morgan dribble is rarely above the knees while Napheesa's dribble is at the waist.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks, David. Nice offensive moves. I'd like to see her add a bank shot too. From the 45-degree angle, it's the best shot.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Funny you should say that, and this is going to sound hypercritical. Napheesa is a long legged girl, & her dribble is too high. Watch Morgan execute some of the same sequence and notice Morgan dribble is rarely above the knees while Napheesa's dribble is at the waist.

It could easily be another 10+ years before we see a Husky with footwork as good as Morgan's. Picasso and da Vinci had their hands and brushes; Morgan has her feet and her Nikes! They're all things of beauty!

Reaction Score
She will be another Morgan Tuck.

Kyla Irwin is more of a Morgan type, considering body size and aptitude for playing under the basket. Kyla also has range, able to sink 3's as Morgan did. It's noteworthy that Collier is working on shots close to the basket because that's where she's likely to spend most of her time. Gabby's shot improved greatly, and those three ladies should form the essence of UConn's defense/offense around the hoop this year. I should add that I expect Lou at 6'4" to crash the boards more this season. Hypothetically, if Kyla is like Morgan, Lou like Breanna, and Crystal like Moriah, the team has significant upside. Am I dreaming?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
nice footage... but she'd get called for traveling on just about every move

Reaction Score
She will be the single most improved player on the team this year, which is saying a lot...watch out for the new version of Gabby as well!

Reaction Score
Right: I don't see the comparison to Tuck. Napheesa is a lot quicker or at least her moves seem to be more explosively forward from the sides, while Tuck has fantastic foot work that allows her to work more methodically from the foul line or underneath. In college, at least, Tuck is a 4-5 and Napheesa is a 3-4, IMO.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Yeah true. Last year she would sky in get the rebound but just didn't have the upper body strength to get the ball back up. I know they are working with her on that.

If you remember this time last year, she said she had never lifted weights in her life. Fast forward one year.......she's been on a personal weight training program designed especially for her. She has to be stronger than ever before. She will continue to increase her strength and endurance as time goes on, the team's strength and conditioning coach will see to that.

Although her body did not show it, Breanna Stewart was said to be one of the strongest players on the team. Looks can be deceiving. Former Laker head coach "Pat Riley" once said (during the show time era) ........."No rebounds, no rings". In addition to her other skills, Collier has a nose for the ball. She has proven to be an excellent rebounder, thus earning the moniker "A ball magnet" from her teammates.

That's something you can't teach. A player either has it, or they don't. Dennis Rodman had it. Charles Barkley had it. Wes Unseld had it. Magic Johnson had it. Napheesa Collier has it!. What is "it"? It, is made up of 4 components: positioning (screening out opponents), timing, jumping/leaping ability and desire/resolve. Remove any one of them, you can/will not be a prolific rebounder.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I love watching her movement on the floor. It's almost as if she's dancing. Smooth, coordinated, purposive movement.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I

That's something you can't teach. A player either has it, or they don't. Dennis Rodman had it. Charles Barkley had it. Wes Unseld had it. Magic Johnson had it. Napheesa Collier has it!. What is "it"? It, is made up of 4 components: positioning (screening out opponents), timing, jumping/leaping ability and desire/resolve. Remove any one of them, you can/will not be a prolific rebounder.

Hey, Carnac, you left out a most important example
Kiah Stokes had it....Has it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member