Some articles showing why duke won't play UCONN at MSG | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Some articles showing why duke won't play UCONN at MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I used to feel that way. Now I will take quality opponents whereever we can find them.

I agree, playing a good team on the road won't hurt us. Even if we lose it would do more from the team in the long run than a team we can just roll over at home.

That said, why can't we pressure Duke into a home and home? We are in the midst of one now with Florida; a rivalry I am starting to love. And we've got Ohio State and Arizona coming up. I realize these teams aren't Duke but they are both powerhouses.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I agree, playing a good team on the road won't hurt us. Even if we lose it would do more from the team in the long run than a team we can just roll over at home.

That said, why can't we pressure Duke into a home and home? We are in the midst of one now with Florida; a rivalry I am starting to love. And we've got Ohio State and Arizona coming up. I realize these teams aren't Duke but they are both powerhouses.
this year for duke they play MSU(neutral), @ Wisonsin and UCONN (neutral)... looking at their previous schedules I don't see many away games... I'm not counting neutral games, they schedule some big name schools but didnt see any away games to big time schools

Reaction Score
this year for duke they play MSU(neutral), @ Wisonsin and UCONN (neutral)... looking at their previous schedules I don't see many away games... I'm not counting neutral games, they schedule some big name schools but didnt see any away games to big time schools

Not arguing with you, I know they don't do it. I was just posing the question as to why we couldn't be the team to get them to do so; or what it would take to do so? Just a hypothetical really

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Not arguing with you, I know they don't do it. I was just posing the question as to why we couldn't be the team to get them to do so; or what it would take to do so? Just a hypothetical really
I think they don't do it simply because they don't have to. Not sure there's anything anyone can do to make it happen.

Reaction Score
I guess its possible, but given what I've seen over the last 5-6 years with early season NYC crowd turnouts, a weak UConn contingent is something that is kind of expected for these games.

I'm with you. I go to all of these games and the UConn crowds have been underwhelming, to say the least.

The people here that are confusing a cinderella trip to the final four with an early regular season game, are the same people that stay home during these games and don't realize how few fans we have there.

Believe me Duke is not scared about playing us in the Garden, they would hold their own just fine.

Most CT residents prefer driving over public transportation, anyway. The Meadowlands is an easy drive, we should have just as many fans as at the Garden.

Then again, I've gone to many of our games vs Seton Hall, and there have been some decent UConn crowds there, and some barely visible.

Reaction Score
I think they don't do it simply because they don't have to. Not sure there's anything anyone can do to make it happen.

I really do agree with you, I just don't want to. I mean why? Why are they so special? I know I'm preaching to choir here but come on. I get that they're an elite program but what makes them so special. They really aren't a blue blood; for me only UCLA, Kansas and uk garner that title. And as for their success, basically they did what we just did 10 years before we did it, 3 in 10, except it took them 20 for 4 and us just 15. And look at the bumps in the road for us and still a more impressive track record. If we keep it up we should be able to pull then to Storrs, and I would have no problem going to Cameron. , I may even pay the outrageous Cameron indoor prices to se that one.

Bottom line, I just don't understand what makes them so special. But, as I do with most sports problems, I blame espn.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

Their conference doesn't suck, so we need the game more than they do. I get it. But it would be good for college basketball Like Florida.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Most CT residents prefer driving over public transportation, anyway. The Meadowlands is an easy drive, we should have just as many fans as at the Garden.

Have you ever been on a train when UCONN is playing at MSG? It is full of UCONN fans

Reaction Score

Yeah, I took the train to Garden for the Indiana game and BC game, and the Maryland game at Barclay's, last year.

Did you?

The train was not full of UConn fans, nor were the arenas.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Yeah, I took the train to Garden for the Indiana game and BC game, and the Maryland game at Barclay's, last year.

Did you?

The train was not full of UConn fans, nor were the arenas.
I was. I unless it's big name school or a rival people aren't going to get out work early or take the day off. Barclays was a home game for Maryland bc of the contract. We need to talk this game up months in advance. Advertise for it so people don't wait until a few weeks before. Some fans probably don't even know about the game yet

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I went by train to the BC game. I saw a decent amount of Uconn fans there.
But for Big East games, the train was practically all Uconn. I think Uconn fans use public transpotation when they go to a game and I would guess less will go to the Meadowlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom