So who starts at QB next week? | Page 9 | The Boneyard

So who starts at QB next week?

Reaction Score
Ok, thanks.

I still can't believe anyone thinks winning 3 vs. say 4-5 games matters if we have absolutely no QB with any experience ready to play next year.

BS is not good enough to make this a 7-8 win team.

I would play Pindell or someone else.

I know you like alternative facts, but the facts are you get about .25 likes per post and I get approximately 7 times that. Go away. Or at least be smart enough to know that almost everyone would like you to do so.

Reaction Score
Who cares. It was against a bad FCS team.

Shireffs is awful, ask NCST. Go watch the Beef o Brady Bowl tape, or Syracuse or a bunch of other games. How many games did they win last year with much better O weapons?

Play Pindell, plan beyond this year.

Who cares if they win 2, 3 vs 5 games this year, let's try and get back to something respectable next year.

My guess is they start Pindell, are ready to switch out and then depending on BS would name him after that.

I'll shut down if they name BS, just can't stand him or his game.

Hmmm. A bad FCS team who actually looked pretty good for almost three quarters as they were were kicking our butts. A win is a win and fact is, without BS we would have surely lost against that "bad FCS team."

Maybe BS has worked especially hard and made improvements since last year? Perhaps being a Senior has given him the maturity, wisdom and experience to do a much better job than in years past. He certainly far exceeded anyone's expectations on Thursday night, didn't he?

Also important to note, is that when BS was on the sidelines he was encouraging and supporting his teammates even though chances were great he'd see any playing time at all. Likewise, when Pindell left the game he sat off by himself looking very unhappy and dejected. I might feel differently if Pindell had been on his feet encouraging BS and the rest of the team during the 4th quarter. But that's not what I observed.

Bottom line, the starting QB needs to be a TEAM player.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I know you like alternative facts, but the facts are you get about .25 likes per post and I get approximately 7 times that. Go away. Or at least be smart enough to know that almost everyone would like you to do so.
I find this very funny because you are obviously replying to someone I have on ignore!!!

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Hmmm. A bad FCS team who actually looked pretty good for almost three quarters as they were were kicking our butts. A win is a win and fact is, without BS we would have surely lost against that "bad FCS team."

Maybe BS has worked especially hard and made improvements since last year? Perhaps being a Senior has given him the maturity, wisdom and experience to do a much better job than in years past. He certainly far exceeded anyone's expectations on Thursday night, didn't he?

Also important to note, is that when BS was on the sidelines he was encouraging and supporting his teammates even though chances were great he'd see any playing time at all. Likewise, when Pindell left the game he sat off by himself looking very unhappy and dejected. I might feel differently if Pindell had been on his feet encouraging BS and the rest of the team during the 4th quarter. But that's not what I observed.

^^^^^^^^^^ Like x 1,000.

It's known as leadership, experience, confidence, the IT factor, the X factor, whatever you want to call it. We will never know what Shirreffs might have been capable of accomplishing during the Fiasco regime if he had the benefit of a coaching staff that had a clue about anything, and a decent OL, two things he's never had. It's likely he's never going to have the decent OL, but at least he may now have a coaching staff that can maximize his effectiveness in spite of the limited abilities of his OL.

Reaction Score
We're counting likes now when we don't agree with someone? I'm no JSM fan but if that's the strength of your re-buttal I see an issue.

Please don't feed the troll. I have him on ignore and he still manages to screw up the threads I enjoy reading.

Reaction Score
@JSM1970

It's a timing play. Shirreffs released the bell before Mayala even began making his turn, in fact it was nearly halfway there as he began making his turn. Mayala turned his body to the inside toward the CB, not the outside toward the cone. Mayala caught the ball on his right hip as he jumped.

The ball was where it was supposed to be, when it was supposed to be. Your argument that the ball was supposed to be thrown at the cone, means both BS AND Mayala made a mistake, and by pure luck he happened to catch the ball just barely outside the defender's reach at just the right moment.

Take a poll, put as many posters as you want on there (but include yours), ask if they had to pick one, which poster would they vote off the island. That'd be you.

Last edited:

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Yes, on the football board.

Am I still aloud to go to the recruiting board and make sarcastic comments on recruits that we beat out Sacared Heart, CCSU, Fordham, Stony Brook, etc.?

She said "aloud".

Reaction Score
So, everyone universally agreed last year BS wasn't an accurate thrower beyond 10 yards

Now he is suddenly?

I'm not saying he probably is not more prepared to play right now than Pindell, I just don't know the point of winning say 5 games vs. 3 and having no experienced QBs entering next year. I don't think BS and this team can win 7-8 games, so I'd rather see other kids get experience

That's my thought, not sure why that is being a troll vs. a legit opinion? The homerism and lack of basic objectivity is nuts at times

@JSM1970

It's a timing play. Shirreffs released the bell before Mayala even began making his turn, in fact it was nearly halfway there as he began making his turn. Mayala turned his body to the inside toward the CB, not the outside toward the cone. Mayala caught the ball on his right hip as he jumped.

The ball was where it was supposed to be, when it was supposed to be. Your argument that the ball was supposed to be thrown at the cone, means both BS AND Mayala made a mistake, and by pure luck he happened to catch the ball just barely outside the defender's reach at just the right moment.

Take a poll, put as many posters as you want on there (but include yours), ask if they had to pick one, which poster would they vote off the island. That'd be you.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So, everyone universally agreed last year BS wasn't an accurate thrower beyond 10 yards

Now he is suddenly?

I'm not saying he probably is not more prepared to play right now than Pindell, I just don't know the point of winning say 5 games vs. 3 and having no experienced QBs entering next year. I don't think BS and this team can win 7-8 games, so I'd rather see other kids get experience

That's my thought, not sure why that is being a troll vs. a legit opinion? The homerism and lack of basic objectivity is nuts at times

Buddy - nobody is making a case to play for 5 wins over 3 wins at the cost of the future.

Until you can't have a really successful season because you've lost a bunch of games you still HAVE TO ACT AS THOUGH YOU WILL.

You can't play for next season when you are 1-0. When you are 2-5 or 3-6? Sure then you can start making decisions like that.

I know you've played the games in your head already and they lose - but you can't coach a team like that.

Reaction Score
We have to win now. If a bowl game is out of the question, then you can coach for next year. Whoever plays, it needs to be because he gives us the best chance to win now.

I would really like to know why people who write Shirreffs off continue to assume he can't perform any better than the past 2 years under a different coaching staff, while they (I assume) expect nearly every other player will, or at least can.

The only argument to be made against BS relies only his play under the worst OC and HC in college football, not anything that has happened on the field. (Ignoring the troll's "alternative fact" that argues a TD throw where the receiver catches the ball in his stomach was an incorrectly thrown pass AND an incorrectly run route.)

If Pindell continues to show in practice what he showed before Thursday, then maybe he'll start. But we need to see on the field, what the coaches saw in practice.

Reaction Score
@JSM1970 wrote: "So, everyone universally agreed last year BS wasn't an accurate thrower beyond 10 yards

Now he is suddenly?

That's my thought, not sure why that is being a troll vs. a legit opinion? The homerism and lack of basic objectivity is nuts at times "

No, you're a troll because you argued that a TD pass was an incorrectly thrown ball. When called out on it, you continued to argue it. When video evidence proving you wrong was provided you ignored it; and when called out for that you then went on the attack.

Then when the play was broken down and explained to you why exactly you were wrong, you ignored it, and moved the goalposts.

Maybe you aren't a troll, maybe you really are that stupid.

Reaction Score
BS was badly injured last year and played through it. You can't QB with slipped ribs, yet he did. He took an absolute beating after being injured and kept on going. Saying he can't make enough big throws isn't fair at this point. He was clearly the sharper passer against HC and had more zip on the ball. Let's just move on to the next game and see what happens.

Reaction Score
To me this is clearly a case of experience (BS) versus inexperience (DP). Not in terms of on field success, but rather dealing with adversity/failure. BS has been through the ups and downs of leading an FBS football team. DP has not only not played at the FBS level, he's probably never struggled at any level. Admittedly, he's a perfectionist. It's not that he had a bad game statistically, but he started "thinking" rather then "reacting". The game started to speed up and he struggled with trying to slow it down. HCRE recognized that and made the switch. Sometimes it's easier to have a player step back and watch. I don't think DP wasn't rooting for the team or BS. I think he was battling his "perfectionist" self and it was an adversity he's never faced. Fortunately, BS was experienced, prepared and led this team to a "W". DP will learn from this experience, he will be better for it, and this program will learn from BS's example....You need to be mentally and physically prepared to play every snap, whether you're the starter or not. This experience will galvanize this team. I don't care who starts against USF, because I know that both QBs will be ready.

Reaction Score
My gut tells me the coaches got a case of Tim Boyle Syndrome. It is a rare disease that seems to afflict football coaches and fans. The main symtom is an inability to distinguish between potential and performance. They saw a better athlete with arguably superior physical talent but missed that he didn't have the specific skills to effectively run the offense. Fortunately for us Pindell didn't go to Xavier or Southington we'd be getting posts about how Wdsall shouldn't have made the switch against Holy Cross.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Maybe it's not easy to pick but the criteria is simple: Who gives the best chance of winning Saturday.

If you don't do that you put your leadership in question with 100 other players.

Precisely. He has to put his faith in a twenty something that he has known for 8 months. There may not be a correct answer here and the outcome wil dominate perception of the quality of the decision, which is the underlying problem here. He may very well have to decide on which decision he can either sell to the rest of the team or best defend if it doesn't work out.

Reaction Score
When will we know who is starting? No, not in 20 minutes and no, not at 11:11. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

This is an excellent point- BS is married, his career was basically over and was thinking of hanging it up. I think he has matured immensely to the point of recognizing there is no real pressure just upside and the chance to play a game he loves. This showed in his calm yet authoritative presence. He appears to be a better QB and much improved. He still misses throws, but he seems to have the intangible of leadership which the team needs. Remember, we just don't need a QB, we have a whole team of players that need to have their confidence rebuilt (and that is no small task after years of failure).

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout 15s15 seconds ago
UConn coach Randy Edsall says no decision on starting QB. "I would think by (Tuesday) we'll announce a two-deep."

Hahaha...looks like HCRE is going to play the old "We're not telling anybody who the starter is" game for the whole week, leaving USF to guess who's starting. Smart move. The team will know but nobody else will. Practices will be conducted under double secret lockdown.

Reaction Score
Hahaha...looks like HCRE is going to play the old "We're not telling anybody who the starter is" game for the whole week, leaving USF to guess who's starting. Smart move. The team will know but nobody else will. Practices will be conducted under double secret lockdown.

... or he announces it during the weekly media availability @ BFFC tomorrow.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom