So who starts at QB next week? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

So who starts at QB next week?

Reaction Score
I would start Pindell. He showed a lot in camp and the unknown issue was whether he was ready for the bright lights. He wasn't in game 1. We had BS, who as a more experienced backup bailed us out. If BS starts and sputters DP may not perform as well in that backup role. Start Pindell. He likely has learned a lot this week. Stay with him until we can't, knowing BS is a ready and reliable back-up.

Reaction Score
There are great arguments for both sides but I'm just not sure that the Pindell crowd is thinking it through.

Shirreffs was better and led us to 20 points in the 4th quarter. Pindell led us to 7 points in 3 quarters. Shirreffs was heavily responsible for those scores. It would be different if we had a pick 6 or a fumble recovery in the red zone or something. He led drive after drive.

The big thing we've seen is that even under Diaco, Bryant was incredibly effective in a hurry up offense. We constantly bemoaned our slow offense and the resistance to using the hurry up all the time on this board. Now our offense is designed to be fast, Bryant got in and killed it like he always does in the high speed offense. Further, he isn't playing with dislodged ribs.

I get the theories on Pindell. I like him and I think he'll be very good but it is pretty obvious that BS should play QB until he is hurt or doesn't produce. At that point bring Pindell back in.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There are great arguments for both sides but I'm just not sure that the Pindell crowd is thinking it through.

Shirreffs was better and led us to 20 points in the 4th quarter. Pindell led us to 7 points in 3 quarters. Shirreffs was heavily responsible for those scores. It would be different if we had a pick 6 or a fumble recovery in the red zone or something. He led drive after drive.

The big thing we've seen is that even under Diaco, Bryant was incredibly effective in a hurry up offense. We constantly bemoaned our slow offense and the resistance to using the hurry up all the time on this board. Now our offense is designed to be fast, Bryant got in and killed it like he always does in the high speed offense. Further, he isn't playing with dislodged ribs.

I get the theories on Pindell. I like him and I think he'll be very good but it is pretty obvious that BS should play QB until he is hurt or doesn't produce. At that point bring Pindell back in.

If you make the decision solely on the results, not the underlying performance, of Thursday then there really isn't an argument. As the Head Coach, Randy has to first decide if making the decision in that manner is in the best interest of the season. This should not be about future seasons. After six seasons of "next year," that should be universally agreed upon by everyone.

As a management exercise, this is not a decision that is easily made. You have to weigh your long term evaluations vs. a singular though critical test. You have to look at how it will affect the rest of the team. Buy-in from the players matters a lot. Randy's explanation will matter a lot. Diaco would have screwed it up royally so, we at least we have that going for us.

For me it comes down to whether you think Pindell is better than the results indicated. If so, then you give him another start knowing that the next change would be permanent. If you saw things that indicate that he isn't head and shoulders better than Sherriffs, then you make the change and tell the team that performance under the lights matters and that you perform or risk your spot.

Other than the fumble, the red flag that I saw with my untrained eye is that Pindell's arm strength on the out and flat routes looked suspect. The balls seemed to take a long time to get there.

Reaction Score
Its difficult for me to take a hard position with so little evidence as to who should be our starting quarterback. Pindall looked better to me during the open practice than any other quarterback on the field. That was only one day and it was not under game conditions. We have seen a lot of Brian Sherriffs the past few years and have a pretty good idea as to what his skill set is although you do have to consider the line play in front of him and the problems with our prior head coach and offensive coordinator.
In the Holy Cross game, Brian not only out performed David in one quarter of play but he seem to have a better command of the offense. Still, it was only one quarter of football against a tiring Holy Cross defense. I speculated here on the starting quaterback poll thread that Shirriffs would start the year at quarterback but would be replaced by Pindell during the season. I based that opinion on Brian's two years of experince at this level and the fact that he had both the spring and the summer to learn the new offense. Still, I suspect that Pindall has better all around quarterbacking skills than Sherriffs does. Whether it was nerves or lack of experince, I think most of us would agree that Sheriffs looked more ready to play than Pindall did on Thursday night.
Going forward, no matter what happens this week in practice my guess is that Edsall will not be able to ignore the fact that one quaterback got us in the endzone 3 times in one quarter and the other only one time in 3 quarters. In any case, I will root hard for who ever is playing on Saturday and keep an open mind as to who is the best quarterback on this year's Uconn Huskies as the season goes on.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you make the decision solely on the results, not the underlying performance, of Thursday then there really isn't an argument. As the Head Coach, Randy has to first decide if making the decision in that manner is in the best interest of the season. This should not be about future seasons. After six seasons of "next year," that should be universally agreed upon by everyone.

As a management exercise, this is not a decision that is easily made. You have to weigh your long term evaluations vs. a singular though critical test. You have to look at how it will affect the rest of the team. Buy-in from the players matters a lot. Randy's explanation will matter a lot. Diaco would have screwed it up royally so, we at least we have that going for us.

For me it comes down to whether you think Pindell is better than the results indicated. If so, then you give him another start knowing that the next change would be permanent. If you saw things that indicate that he isn't head and shoulders better than Sherriffs, then you make the change and tell the team that performance under the lights matters and that you perform or risk your spot.

Other than the fumble, the red flag that I saw with my untrained eye is that Pindell's arm strength on the out and flat routes looked suspect. The balls seemed to take a long time to get there.

Maybe it's not easy to pick but the criteria is simple: Who gives the best chance of winning Saturday.

If you don't do that you put your leadership in question with 100 other players.

Reaction Score
Bad fumble, totally one-dimensional because of the running game. That's the 1st 3 quarters of offense in a nutshell. For whatever reason the line started run blocking when shirreffs came into the game and everything opened up.
They started run-blocking when BS came in, even though he was calling pass plays. No wonder everything clicked.

Reaction Score
They started run-blocking when BS came in, even though he was calling pass plays. No wonder everything clicked.

I dont think people are factoring in how tired HC must have been in the 4th quarter.

The OL didn't just happen to remember how to block. The conditioning of our offense from practicing the hurry up was obvious to me.

That said, BS made some good choices and with Hopkins able to run, things clicked.

Reaction Score
After watching that on replay, Pindell got hit a lot. I think he was replaced more due to body language/ slumping shoulders. If he is going to play here, he is going to have to roll with the punches and understand he will get hit a lot. It's one thing you don't have any questions about with Bryant. He has taken pounding here. The beating he took at ECU last year was borderline criminal.

Reaction Score
The moment Shireffs got in the game, the body language of the team dramatically changed. He brought positive energy, leadership and a game winning mentality to an otherwise frustrated and beaten down squad. When a team believes they can succeed, more games are won and the game play is always better across the board.

Reaction Score
I'm getting a little tired of the "tired Holy Cross" squad trope too. Sherriffs made better callschecked off and made adjustments and you could see the physical change in the Huskies when he came in. People seem to come up with every excuse in the book for Pindell and to denigrate Sherriff's performance. The reality is that he came into a very difficult situation down 13 with a quarter to play and he rallied a beaten team, a team that was going nowhere and drove to 3 quick scores for the win. The team looked totally different when he took over and did what they couldn't do for 3 quarters. It wasn't because the Cross got tired or any other nonsense. It was because he was in total control and made plays and inspired confidence in his teammates.

Reaction Score
I have to go back and watch the game on my DVR to see it all more clearly.

My hunch is that pindell didn't have full command of the plays or setting the o line or something because the team did seem to respond better to Sherriffs. Also, Pindell seemed nervous too and never settled in.

I would tell Pindell this is your team, but we are going to go with Sherriffs this week to give you extra time to master the offense. I would tell him get ready for week three.

After I watch the game tonight/tomorrow I may change my mind, but that is what I am thinking this morning.

Assuming Sherriffs starts and we upset the 19th ranked team in the country then I would think it will be difficult for Pindell to get the start against Virginia.

I like Pindell and can see that he is talented. He did a lot of good things. If BS flattens out and doesn't move the offense, Pindell will get a chance to prove himself. I just think that Randy and Rhett will reward Sherriffs for a. Job well done.

Reaction Score
Who cares. It was against a bad FCS team.

Shireffs is awful, ask NCST. Go watch the Beef o Brady Bowl tape, or Syracuse or a bunch of other games. How many games did they win last year with much better O weapons?

Play Pindell, plan beyond this year.

Who cares if they win 2, 3 vs 5 games this year, let's try and get back to something respectable next year.

My guess is they start Pindell, are ready to switch out and then depending on BS would name him after that.

I'll shut down if they name BS, just can't stand him or his game.

The moment Shireffs got in the game, the body language of the team dramatically changed. He brought positive energy, leadership and a game winning mentality to an otherwise frustrated and beaten down squad. When a team believes they can succeed, more games are won and the game play is always better across the board.

Reaction Score
Geez - now I don't know who I want the coaches to start more:

Pindell to see UConnNick implode or Shirreffs to see JSM1970 meltdown.

Tough call for board sanity...:D
larry davd.gif

Reaction Score

Shireffs is awful, ask NCST. Go watch the Beef o Brady Bowl tape, or Syracuse or a bunch of other games. How many games did they win last year with much better O weapons?

Who cares if they win 2, 3 vs 5 games this year, let's try and get back to something respectable next year.

My guess is they start Pindell, are ready to switch out and then depending on BS would name him after that.

Does you shutting down mean you will go away for good? Because if that's the case, I rescind my statement that I'm neutral on who starts and trust the staff. I vote for BS starting and you going away.

Reaction Score
Does you shutting down mean you will go away for good? Because if that's the case, I rescind my statement that I'm neutral on who starts and trust the staff. I vote for BS starting and you going away.

+1

He's an obvious troll. Complained about the TD throw being a bad throw, responded to everyone who challenged him except the one post that provided video evidence he was lying.

Reaction Score
Yes, on the football board.

Am I still aloud to go to the recruiting board and make sarcastic comments on recruits that we beat out Sacared Heart, CCSU, Fordham, Stony Brook, etc.?

Reaction Score
No way. That other post was awful. How could the throw be to the cone if the receiver had to turn his whole body while in bounds to make the catch?

If the throw was to the cone he would have reached out and not back.

Get lost clown.

+1

He's an obvious troll. Complained about the TD throw being a bad throw, responded to everyone who challenged him except the one post that provided video evidence he was lying.

Reaction Score

The difference is if Edsall does not go with the quarterback he believes will give the team its best chance the players will sense that he is not coaching to win and it will be catching. Diaco - all over again.

Reaction Score
Yes, on the football board.

Am I still aloud to go to the recruiting board and make sarcastic comments on recruits that we beat out Sacared Heart, CCSU, Fordham, Stony Brook, etc.?

Am I still allowed to point out the obvious -- that every board you participate in woud be a better place, with people happier to participate, without your constant snide negativism?

You are entitled to your opinions. I am entitled to believe the Boneyard would be a much better place if we lost you.

Reaction Score

"The young legs belong to redshirt freshman running back Nate Hopkins, whose debut was nothing short of spectacular, with 130 rushing yards and three touchdowns on 20 carries, the first UConn back to rush for 100 yards in his first game since Lyle McCombs in 2011.

“I’m excited, but more excited that we won,” Hopkins said. “It was nice going from being redshirted to playing a significant amount. This is the kind of thing you dream about not only all last year, but even right before the game. It was a blessing to be out there.”

Hopkins is no stranger to big games, having rushed for 2,841 yards and 26 TDs in high school. But this was a different world. He was glad to have Shirreffs at helm of the comeback.

“When Bryant is in the game, he’s real relaxed and calm, someone you can follow easily,” Hopkins said. “He’s been a starter here before, so it’s easy to get behind him. He cares a lot about the program.”

Reaction Score
Am I still allowed to point out the obvious -- that every board you participate in woud be a better place, with people happier to participate, without your constant snide negativism?

You are entitled to your opinions. I am entitled to believe the Boneyard would be a much better place if we lost you.

If his online schtick is anything like his actual self, you could replace board with just about anything.

Reaction Score
Honestly, you are on the top of that list. You are miserable.

I know you like alternative facts, but the facts are you get about .25 likes per post and I get approximately 7 times that. Go away. Or at least be smart enough to know that almost everyone would like you to do so.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
"The young legs belong to redshirt freshman running back Nate Hopkins, whose debut was nothing short of spectacular, with 130 rushing yards and three touchdowns on 20 carries, the first UConn back to rush for 100 yards in his first game since Lyle McCombs in 2011.

“I’m excited, but more excited that we won,” Hopkins said. “It was nice going from being redshirted to playing a significant amount. This is the kind of thing you dream about not only all last year, but even right before the game. It was a blessing to be out there.”

Hopkins is no stranger to big games, having rushed for 2,841 yards and 26 TDs in high school. But this was a different world. He was glad to have Shirreffs at helm of the comeback.

“When Bryant is in the game, he’s real relaxed and calm, someone you can follow easily,” Hopkins said. “He’s been a starter here before, so it’s easy to get behind him. He cares a lot about the program.”

This quote from Hopkins says it all. I know Edsall despises QB controversies, I'm sure largely because it can split the team into two opposing camps, just like it does here. That cannot be good for team chemistry, and the coaching staff doesn't want the team deciding who the starter should be.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom