So who should our new coach be? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

So who should our new coach be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So, months after we give him an extension; one of the first major acts by our new AD, we are going to fire him. Um, no. Pure stupidity.

Now, what the AD should be thinking about is I have a young energetic guy who checks a lot of boxes, but he has no one on his staff who has been there, done that in terms of running a program. Benedict needs to start thinking about having a serious conversation with BD about bringining in an associate head coach who has the experience we seem to be lacking on saturdays. And not another ex-coordinator, but a former coach. IMO, that's a more reasonable approach then having a brand new AD fire a guy he extended as one of his first acts.

Reaction Score
I don't think Benedict extended him. But it is going to depend on performance. If we are 6-6 or better fine. But if we go 2-10 and even the players parents skip the Tulane game, Benedict almost can't bring him back. This idea that somehow all his problems will be fixed by hiring a grey eminence to hold his hand is just silly. This isn't baseball where you can advise the manager to bring in the lefty, watch a couple more pitches then visit the mound and do it again. Not to mention that we had that for 2 years. At some point you have to either show you can do the job or show you can't. Diaco has not proven he is up to the task yet. But I'll say this. If he does fail we need a replacement who says I'm looking to win NOW not in 2 or 5 or 12 years. I think Diaco gets one more year to take the next step assuming this year is close to last, 5-7 wins. Worse and he might not get that. Better 8 or more, and he is good for a bit. Because he will have beaten some pretty good teams. Basically here's how I see it:
1-2 wins. Back up the moving van
3-4 wins. Could go either way but the movers are at the end of the street.
5-6 He's back but probably should update the resume because he can't stumble again
7 -8 Everthing is cool. Keep doing what you're doing.
9 plus The moving van is coming but to take Diaco to a job in the Big 10.

Reaction Score
Bring back Tom Jackson!
No thanks...
Although I had a favorite or 2 on D back in the day when he was Head Coach ( i.e. Rusty Neal ), our D wasn't that great....

Reaction Score
I don't think Benedict extended him. But it is going to depend on performance. If we are 6-6 or better fine. But if we go 2-10 and even the players parents skip the Tulane game, Benedict almost can't bring him back. This idea that somehow all his problems will be fixed by hiring a grey eminence to hold his hand is just silly. This isn't baseball where you can advise the manager to bring in the lefty, watch a couple more pitches then visit the mound and do it again. Not to mention that we had that for 2 years. At some point you have to either show you can do the job or show you can't. Diaco has not proven he is up to the task yet. But I'll say this. If he does fail we need a replacement who says I'm looking to win NOW not in 2 or 5 or 12 years. I think Diaco gets one more year to take the next step assuming this year is close to last, 5-7 wins. Worse and he might not get that. Better 8 or more, and he is good for a bit. Because he will have beaten some pretty good teams. Basically here's how I see it:
1-2 wins. Back up the moving van
3-4 wins. Could go either way but the movers are at the end of the street.
5-6 He's back but probably should update the resume because he can't stumble again
7 -8 Everthing is cool. Keep doing what you're doing.
9 plus The moving van is coming but to take Diaco to a job in the Big 10.

We're not going to win just 2 games this year, but there is no way Diaco gets fired after this season. Just is not happening.

Reaction Score
I don't think we only win 2 either but if it's a disaster he is gone. You cannot waste another year. Can't have an athletic dept pulling out all the stops to sell tickets and the product not be there. As I said I think unles it all self destructs he is back but he needs to show us something next season. The scary part is that Virdinia is a critical game. We lose that and we could very well be 1-6 by Halloween. Syracuse isn't good but better than UVA and then Houston Cincy and USF are all good teams and 2 on the road. If that happens it's anybody's guess whether the team even bothers to show up the rest of the way or just mails it in.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Orlovsky. Unless Stafford gets hurt and Danny O becomes 1972 Earl Morral to Griese injury, and becomes a hot item. Unlikely.
Detroit fans coming with pitchforks already cannot understand how he is still on roster.
Diaco is on borrowed time. Apparent he has no clue once kickoff. None. He will hang around a bit because our inept Univ won't eat a bail out. But Danny O. Yes, next coach.

Reaction Score
Orlovsky. Unless Stafford gets hurt and Danny O becomes 1972 Earl Morral to Griese injury, and becomes a hot item. Unlikely.
Detroit fans coming with pitchforks already cannot understand how he is still on roster.
Diaco is on borrowed time. Apparent he has no clue once kickoff. None. He will hang around a bit because our inept Univ won't eat a bail out. But Danny O. Yes, next coach.
03-Drunk-Monkey.jpg

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Meh. Let's see tomorrow Medic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics