So who gets ranked this week? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So who gets ranked this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Teams in the top five losing to unranked teams typically fall further than those in the mid teens because the teams immediately below them in the ranking all have better records without suspect losses. All the teams in the teens and twenties are already a bit suspect, and so adding one more loss isn't as significant.
For SC now at 6-1 with a loss to Duke teams that might move ahead of them are: Maryland 8-0, Mississippi State 8-0, Baylor 9-1 (Loss to #2), FSU 8-1 (Loss to #2) and you could make an argument for a few other teams as well. I suspect they will stay at 7 or 8, and they might be #6 - but from a team that many people thought might be the real #1 today was a startling reminder that they are still vulnerable in a way that before today people didn't really believe. This is a team that replaced graduates with highly touted transfers and was supposed to be a better team than the one that went through the regular and conference tournament last year with one loss to an overwhelmingly good Uconn team. And they lost to DUKE! A team that nobody thought was any good. That is not what you expect from a top ten team - a lot of voters aren't going to believe their lying eyes and keep them high in the top 10, but a lot are going to drop them out or down to 8 or 9.

Well I thought we were a good team :oops: Ill know more by the middle of January.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Tennessee moves out, as do any losers in the 20s. Duke moves in.

Texas slips a slot or two. DePaul slips about 6 slots.

I agree with Tony about the top 4: ND, UConn, Baylor, Maryland.

UConn and ND will be 1/2 or 2/1 next week, depending on the outcome of Wednesday's game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Well I thought we were a good team :oops: Ill know more by the middle of January.
I hope you can beat ND, though I'm not counting on it.

An interesting graphic from today's game. Over the past few years, ND is 0-4 vs. UConn and 114-2 against everyone else.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I hope you can beat ND, though I'm not counting on it.

An interesting graphic from today's game. Over the past few years, ND is 0-4 vs. UConn and 114-2 against everyone else.

That's really staggering. ND's only losses over a three-year period to teams other than UConn were to Miami two years ago and Stanford last year. Not to mention the fact that ND would've been only the 4th program to record an undefeated season if not for its 2014 loss to UConn.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I wouldn't think Texas falls that much. They lost to a higher ranked team on the road, not an unexpected result. Maybe the Longhorns fall a spot or two, depending on other teams' results.

I would use that same philosophy for other teams as well. My thoughts: If you lose to a team ranked above you, you should not lose any ground. They were perceived to be a better team. If you lose to a ranked team below you, then you fall accordingly depending were each team was ranked to begin with. If you lose to an unranked team, then you should fall at least 10-12 spots. If you're ranked, you have no business losing to an unranked team, that you're supposed to be superior to, especially at home.

Carnac

Reaction Score
At he beginning of the season, I predicted that NO TEAM would go undefeated this season. As of Sunday night - December 4, 2016, there are only 6 undefeated teams left in the top 25.
We lost two today South Carolina (Duke) & Oklahoma (Oral Roberts). Both teams lost to unranked opponents.

This according to the AP top 25 for Nov 28, 2016:

#1 Notre Dame 6-0 Has played 1 ranked opponent (#17 Washington).
#2 UConn - 8-0 Has played 4 ranked opponents (#12 Florida St., #2 Baylor, #15 DePaul & #8 Texas)
#5 Maryland - 8-0 Has played 2 ranked teams (#7 Louisville & #23 Arizona St.)
#6 Miss St. Has played 1 ranked opp. (#8 Texas)
#16 West Virginia Has played no ranked teams.
#21 Colorado Has played no ranked teams.

The rankings in parenthesis reflect the team's ranking when the game was played.

Rankings are subjective. It depends on who you play, your strength of schedule. If you're 9-0 like West Virginia or Colorado, but you have not played any other ranked teams, How do you compared with a UConn or who's play 4, or a Maryland that's played 2? How do you compare against teams that have played ranked opponents and lost? It's easy to be undefeated early if you load up your OOC schedule with lots of sugar (cupcakes & Twinkies), and play most of your games at home. :confused:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Triad - love your presence here (but that is not my favorite avatar you have used!) - I know Duke fans thought Duke was pretty good, but not many people outside that universe really believed it. They have underperformed the last few years and lost talent to transfer (thank you :rolleyes:) so I think people weren't really paying attention to anything they were doing this year. I believe they are now!!! :eek::)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Triad - love your presence here (but that is not my favorite avatar you have used!) - I know Duke fans thought Duke was pretty good, but not many people outside that universe really believed it

I happen to like my current avatar :) I usually try to change them up a bit.... but I was thinking... I wouldnt switch it to something Duke related until the WCBB team had a win over a ranked team. Needless to say... I didnt expect to be looking for a new avatar this early in the season. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :cool:

I know Duke fans feel that we have top 10 talent...... but are taking a wait and see approach. The ACC is gonna be a grind

. They have underperformed the last few years and lost talent to transfer (thank you :rolleyes:) so I think people weren't really paying attention to anything they were doing this year. I believe they are now!!! :eek::)

I was actually enjoying us being under the radar...... i saw the board this morning and thought..... good... everyone will be focusing on the Baylor-Tenn matchup... and they will completely forget about the Duke-South Carolina game going on at the same time. :cool:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That's really staggering. ND's only losses over a three-year period to teams other than UConn were to Miami two years ago and Stanford last year. Not to mention the fact that ND would've been only the 4th program to record an undefeated season if not for its 2014 loss to UConn.
ND has separated themselves from the pack. Stanford had a roughly similar record a few years ago, but we had Tina and Maya.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I happen to like my current avatar :) I usually try to change them up a bit.... but I was thinking... I wouldnt switch it to something Duke related until the WCBB team had a win over a ranked team. Needless to say... I didnt expect to be looking for a new avatar this early in the season. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :cool:

I know Duke fans feel that we have top 10 talent. but are taking a wait and see approach. The ACC is gonna be a grind

I was actually enjoying us being under the radar. i saw the board this morning and thought..... good... everyone will be focusing on the Baylor-Tenn matchup... and they will completely forget about the Duke-South Carolina game going on at the same time. :cool:
That's probably my least favorite avatar of yours, not that it matters. Who is it? I'm pretty sure it's not you.

Reaction Score
Now that the Dukies have beaten the more southern,smaller Carolina,i wonder if triaddukefan would now put forth a coach P avatar?I would bet he will get more of a tingly feeling up his leg if the more northern,larger Carolina gets annhilated by the blue devils though.

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
I see the top 10 as ND, UConn, Baylor, Maryland, SC, Miss St, Fla St, UCLA, Louisville, Stanford. I see Tenn and Auburn dropping and USF (speaking of teams who have played a soft schedule) and Oregon join the top 25.

I agree with you that USF will likely get ranked this week.

As to our OOC schedule this season, I knew it would not be as tough as last season, because we lost three of our star players and needed to soften it so as to give our new team time to gel.

So far that has worked out well for us.

But, it is all relative.

Perhaps various WBB sites calculate SOS differently.

According to Waren Nolan, the SOS for USF WBB is #45. It appears that there are a number of top 25 teams with a worse SOS.

2016-2017 Men's College Basketball Rating Percentage Index (RPI) Live - WarrenNolan.com

Our posted OOC schedule is incomplete. We likely will be playing Oklahoma State and Oregon State at the Play4Kay tourney in Vegas (Dec 19-21). If so, those games will be a good test to see where we stand.

Aside from playing UCONN, our biggest challenge this season will be playing Louisville. If we can win that game, I suspect that we will be making another trip to the Dance.

Reaction Score
#25 Texas A&M, #23 Auburn, #22 Tennessee will likely fall out

Duke will enter for sure
Probably South Florida and Arizona St who were 26 & 28 last week

I got the 3 that fell out, and 2 of the 3 that got in. Missed on Ariz St - which only moved 28 to 27.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
That's probably my least favorite avatar of yours, not that it matters. Who is it? I'm pretty sure it's not you.

In a perfect world.... she would be my future ex-wife #2 ..... Ciera Rogers

Yes it's him - triaddukefan is actually Ciera :p:p

Im quite impressed you knew who it was.... the boneyard never ceases to amaze me :D

Now that the Dukies have beaten the more southern,smaller Carolina,i wonder if triaddukefan would now put forth a coach P avatar?I would bet he will get more of a tingly feeling up his leg if the more northern,larger Carolina gets annhilated by the blue devils though.

I think I'll pass on that one :rolleyes:

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
3 SEC teams fell out.... Tennessee will get back in though as they go through the SEC games.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Teams in the top five losing to unranked teams typically fall further than those in the mid teens because the teams immediately below them in the ranking all have better records without suspect losses. All the teams in the teens and twenties are already a bit suspect, and so adding one more loss isn't as significant.
For SC now at 6-1 with a loss to Duke teams that might move ahead of them are: Maryland 8-0, Mississippi State 8-0, Baylor 9-1 (Loss to #2), FSU 8-1 (Loss to #2) and you could make an argument for a few other teams as well. I suspect they will stay at 7 or 8, and they might be #6 - but from a team that many people thought might be the real #1 today was a startling reminder that they are still vulnerable in a way that before today people didn't really believe. This is a team that replaced graduates with highly touted transfers and was supposed to be a better team than the one that went through the regular and conference tournament last year with one loss to an overwhelmingly good Uconn team. And they lost to DUKE! A team that nobody thought was any good. That is not what you expect from a top ten team - a lot of voters aren't going to believe their lying eyes and keep them high in the top 10, but a lot are going to drop them out or down to 8 or 9.
May be but not sure if that's true. Remember Tenn started the season ranked #4 last year, and it seemed like it took forever for them to drop out of the top 25. You may be right, though . We will see!

Plebe

Reaction Score
I got the 3 that fell out, and 2 of the 3 that got in. Missed on Ariz St - which only moved 28 to 27.

I sure as heck didn't foresee Virginia Tech getting in. Good week for the ACC, I suppose, with VT and Duke joining the 5 that were already ranked.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I sure as heck didn't foresee Virginia Tech getting in. Good week for the ACC, I suppose, with VT and Duke joining the 5 that were already ranked.

VPI is a solid team. I like Brooks as a coach... and he has a few players to work with. I was looking at their schedule..... and other than a game @ Auburn in a few weeks.... they shouldnt have much trouble until the first week in January.

Plebe

Reaction Score
VPI is a solid team. I like Brooks as a coach... and he has a few players to work with. I was looking at their schedule..... and other than a game @ Auburn in a few weeks.... they shouldnt have much trouble until the first week in January.

Brooks is definitely a good coach, and it'll be interesting to see how their season goes. I honestly don't consider VT a top-25 team, based on what I saw in the Tennessee game, and also I saw that they barely eked out a win over UCF on the road. If Tennessee doesn't miss 30 layups and commit 20 turnovers in that game, then they're not even in the conversation.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
One issue I see in their schedule is that thus far they've only played one road game and two neutral-court games, all of which were against very weak teams. They may get past Oregon at home, but I like Auburn after that.

And then there's Clemson. :)

I looked at the schedule again.... and actually its Clemson that plays Oregon not VPI.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I looked at the schedule again.... and actually its Clemson that plays Oregon not VPI.

Yeah, sorry about that. I caught my mistake and rewrote my message. My bad. :oops:

Reaction Score
At he beginning of the season, I predicted that NO TEAM would go undefeated this season. As of Sunday night - December 4, 2016, there are only 6 undefeated teams left in the top 25.
We lost two today South Carolina (Duke) & Oklahoma (Oral Roberts). Both teams lost to unranked opponents.

This according to the AP top 25 for Nov 28, 2016:

#1 Notre Dame 6-0 Has played 1 ranked opponent (#17 Washington).
#2 UConn - 8-0 Has played 4 ranked opponents (#12 Florida St., #2 Baylor, #15 DePaul & #8 Texas)
#5 Maryland - 8-0 Has played 2 ranked teams (#7 Louisville & #23 Arizona St.)
#6 Miss St. Has played 1 ranked opp. (#8 Texas)
#16 West Virginia Has played no ranked teams.
#21 Colorado Has played no ranked teams.

The rankings in parenthesis reflect the team's ranking when the game was played.

Rankings are subjective. It depends on who you play, your strength of schedule. If you're 9-0 like West Virginia or Colorado, but you have not played any other ranked teams, How do you compared with a UConn or who's play 4, or a Maryland that's played 2? How do you compare against teams that have played ranked opponents and lost? It's easy to be undefeated early if you load up your OOC schedule with lots of sugar (cupcakes & Twinkies), and play most of your games at home. :confused:

The funny thing is if ND and Maryland were to play the schedule of UCONN or SC I highly doubt they would be undefeated.

Carnac

Reaction Score
The funny thing is if ND and Maryland were to play the schedule of UCONN or SC I highly doubt they would be undefeated.

I'm not predicting anything here, I've already done that (a UConn win). I'm guessing what Geno is thinking "We're not worried about what ND will do against us, they need to be worrying about what we're going to do to them. They're more concerned about US, than we are about them. We've already played (and won) several hard/difficult games against top ranked teams that we were not supposed to win. We're still standing tall, unbroken and unbowed. Our last game (Texas) prepared us for you. We're bringing our A+ game, we're ready". :cool:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In a perfect world.... she would be my future ex-wife #2 ..... Ciera Rogers

Im quite impressed you knew who it was.... the boneyard never ceases to amaze me :D

I think I'll pass on that one :rolleyes:
Thanks. Ciera is not my type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member