So, Who Gets Breanna Stewart Next Year? | The Boneyard

So, Who Gets Breanna Stewart Next Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know it's way too early, and this has probably been talked about in other threads. But I'm bored and thinking about which WNBA team could/should get the #1 pick in 2016: Breanna Stewart.

San Antonio is off to a fine start (in their bid to land Breanna Stewart), with an 0-6 record. And frankly, this would make the most sense to me. They don't necessarily have any particular gaping need position-wise, but they need a star/go-to player. And they have really paid their dues. Personally, I don't think they've really made any mistakes or slept on anyone in recents drafts. In fact, they seem to have always picked the right player when it's their turn. It just seems like their turns are never soon enough, because they overachieve and always have an impressive record considering their roster. For the sake of spreading the wealth and equal opportunity, I would say San Antonio deserves Breanna Stewart.

Los Angeles is also off to a winless start (0-4) with their top players Candace Parker, Nneka Ogwumike, and Kristi Toliver yet to play, and even Alana Beard missing 2 games so far. The situation kind of smells like Phoenix in 2012, when Taurasi, Dupree, and Taylor barely played, the Mercury finished last, and wound up getting the #1 pick (Griner) even though their cupboard was far from empty. I happen to like the Sparks and a lot of their individual players, so I wouldn't be mad if Stewart ended up in LA, but it would feel like a similar situation.

I would very much compare Indiana to my description of San Antonio.

Washington seems to be off to a good start thus might not be in the running for Breanna Stewart. They too haven't been lucky in scoring a recent high pick/high impact star player, but IMHO, unlike Indiana and San Antonio, some of their lower picks have been head scratchers. Like, I wouldn't have passed over Kelsey Bone in 2013, and I don't think they made good picks in 2012.

Finally, there might be a chance Seattle gets the #1 pick again, right? It seemed as though they got lucky with the late 2 additions to the 2015 drafts, but time will tell if it actually made a significant difference. But even if, say, Amanda Zahui B. and Elizabeth Williams outperform Jewell Loyd and KML, I can't really fault Seattle for that since there were pros, cons, and uncertainties about each of the top 4.

However, in terms of "giving each team a fair shot," I'd say definitely San Antonio and Indiana and then even Washington (to a lesser extent) are "more deserving" of Breanna Stewart!

LOL, I know my tone for this sounds a bit odd/silly, but think of it as a "Fantasy WNBA" perspective.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I would love to see her end up in LA seeing as I'm moving there...

Reaction Score
What is really wrong here is because some great players are taking time off their respective teams are not playing that great. So standings shuffle around. Didn't Diana not play one year and the Mercury got a great draft pick. Did Parker not play one year and the Sparks got a great draft pick. Then these players come back the following year and its like they all had two First Round draft picks. The WNBA really needs to look at this and how the draft works.

Reaction Score
I'm going to put my money on Seattle getting the top pick (Breanna). They look horrible. I really hope that Phoenix doesn't get the pick because I think that they pulled a dirty to get Griner. I can't fault LA much because I guess Parker never seems to play with the Sparks anyway but I felt that DT deliberately was pulled from the lineup to get a franchise player. Maybe I'm wrong about Parker but didn't she also have pregnancy issues? Highly doubt that she cares about LA getting a high draft pick anyways.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Show me the money!
UMMC Ekaterinburg -Salary ~$900K
Zhejiang Golden Bulls as a replacement for Griner-salary ~$600K
WNBA it will be whatever teams does the best job of tanking the season- my money is on the Sparks-Salary ~$100K

Reaction Score
I posted this on another thread and it also applies here!

triaddukefan said:
Its not the Sun's fault that Tolliver would rather play for whatever country she is playing for.... or that Parker is taking an extended vacation... or that Griner got pimp slapped after chasing Glory :rolleyes: A win is a win is a win.. If the Sun do make the playoffs.... I doubt the WNBA will look at their record and subtract victories because some of their wins were vs teams at less than full strength. ;)

triaddukefan- - - -Everything you said is true! But when PHX., LA, or whatever powerhouse has a star or stars sitting out gets Breanna Stewart, MoJeff, or any of the other studs in a draft class then EVERYONE will be bitching! The weakest teams are picking up "surprising" wins so when the Lottery (which I've stated many times is worthless for the WNBA) is held CT/Tulsa/San Antonio/Seattle that have legit reasons for getting the best players, even though San Antonio & Seattle are losing now, will have 500% or winning records to get the next level of players not B. Stewart!
For the WNBA to have a fair draft is pick teams with the worst record over a 4-5 year period and they get the #1 pick, the 2nd worst record over that 4-5 year period will get the 2nd pick, then the WNBA will truly grow and there will be more competitive teams!
The other day I reminded people that B. Griner should have gone to Tulsa and N. Owgumike should have gone to Washington! NOT PHX with DT sitting out most of the season maybe hurt, and LA for Nneka when C. Parker got pregnant!
All these "games" the players, teams, league plays now does matter in the long run the competitive balance is widened and you'll have more haves & have nots, 4 great teams and 8 lousy teams for example!
As things are now the WNBA bosses don't care about league competitiveness, just put the butts in the seats!

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
I'm going to put my money on Seattle getting the top pick (Breanna). They look horrible. I really hope that Phoenix doesn't get the pick because I think that they pulled a dirty to get Griner. I can't fault LA much because I guess Parker never seems to play with the Sparks anyway but I felt that DT deliberately was pulled from the lineup to get a franchise player. Maybe I'm wrong about Parker but didn't she also have pregnancy issues? Highly doubt that she cares about LA getting a high draft pick anyways.
DT3 and Penny Taylor were both hurt the season prior to the Griner draft, DT3 had knee and back issues, Taylor missed that season as well as the following season with her knee and CanDu got hurt in the middle of the season, there was no conspiracy and no deliberate 'tank job'.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
LA is the team that least needs Breanna with a roster that includes Nneka and Parker. For Breanna however it might be the best place for her to go as she would be able to take advantage of the Marketing that LA would offer. From a strictly basketball perspective San Antonio would be the best fit, followed by Seattle.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think we should all be very very happy that the women's stars play as many seasons in the WNBA as they do - they are the only professional team athletes who are routinely expected to play competitive games 12 months a year and they pay a heavy price physically to do so. That a player like Diana 8 years or so into her career decided to shut it down half way through a season because of nagging injuries in the league that pays her 10% of her yearly income is perfectly reasonable. That she has decided in her 11th season to take a full season away from the league is also perfectly reasonable. That Parker wanted to have a child and took a full year off to do so is also perfectly reasonable.
People seem to want to bind burdens to these women - that is what I find unreasonable.

And the foreign players drafted are an equal issue - should Tulsa be penalized because one of their high draft picks isn't playing in the WNBA - or Seattle with Lauren choosing not to play?

The draft is what it is - and with the lottery, tanking is not a sure thing. And Seattle - as I recall they just got the 1st and 3rd pick in this past draft - would it be fair for them to get another #1 pick this coming year?

Reaction Score
Jefferson to San Antonio. She goes back home to Texas and shows everyone how good you can be if you play at Uconn. Stewart in L.A. could help with the CA kids.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Jefferson to San Antonio. She goes back home to Texas and shows everyone how good you can be if you play at Uconn. Stewart in L.A. could help with the CA kids.

sarcastic or serious.jpg

Thats like me saying I hope Tyus Jones goes to Houston so he can show how good you can be if you play at Duke... or Okafor with the Lakers can help in Duke's recruiting out west :rolleyes:

Last edited:

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
I think we should all be very very happy that the women's stars play as many seasons in the WNBA as they do - they are the only professional team athletes who are routinely expected to play competitive games 12 months a year and they pay a heavy price physically to do so. That a player like Diana 8 years or so into her career decided to shut it down half way through a season because of nagging injuries in the league that pays her 10% of her yearly income is perfectly reasonable. That she has decided in her 11th season to take a full season away from the league is also perfectly reasonable. That Parker wanted to have a child and took a full year off to do so is also perfectly reasonable.
People seem to want to bind burdens to these women - that is what I find unreasonable.

And the foreign players drafted are an equal issue - should Tulsa be penalized because one of their high draft picks isn't playing in the WNBA - or Seattle with Lauren choosing not to play?

The draft is what it is - and with the lottery, tanking is not a sure thing. And Seattle - as I recall they just got the 1st and 3rd pick in this past draft - would it be fair for them to get another #1 pick this coming year?
The Cleveland Cavaliers got the #1 pick in the NBA Draft in the last two consecutive years and 3 of the past 5 years.

Reaction Score
DT3 and Penny Taylor were both hurt the season prior to the Griner draft, DT3 had knee and back issues, Taylor missed that season as well as the following season with her knee and CanDu got hurt in the middle of the season, there was no conspiracy and no deliberate 'tank job'.
Well I realize that DT had some issues but I still believe they were not that bad that she could not play. I personally believe mgmt made her sit. DT was at every game sitting. That's the only time that I really believe that there was an intention to get the top pick and a franchise player at that. I love DT but that just wasn't right. I really hope that they are not rewarded with the number one pick. I'm sure Annie Meyers will do her best though. I think it's the unspoken word of that season but Phoenix tanked it.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
LA is the team that least needs Breanna with a roster that includes Nneka and Parker. For Breanna however it might be the best place for her to go as she would be able to take advantage of the Marketing that LA would offer. From a strictly basketball perspective San Antonio would be the best fit, followed by Seattle.
and LA also has Jantel Lavendar, not too shabby herself.

Reaction Score
Would love to see her in LA. Idk if its been discussed on this board yet or not, but what position would Stewart fit best into, once she's in the WNBA?

Reaction Score
It's a farce to constantly have the worst teams in the league get the 4 or 5 pick in the draft lottery while a good or great team has that 1 down season to get that years stud! How can the WNBA league office not make building up the entire league the priority not just certain franchises!
Same thing with the lousy refs! It's criminal to watch some of the calls where both teams react surprised how bad the calls are!
When Patty Coyle was head coach of the Liberty I ran into her at the XL Center scouting at a BIG EAST Tournament game. I asked her how the players & coaches don't rebel vs the horrible refs and their laughable calls! She laughed and said you know I can't really answer that but I will say "PAY BACKS A BITCH!" You say something you'll be paying for it down the road!
When you watch a lot of WBB both WCBB & WNBA games, you have to shake your heads at how horrible all the refs are! There are moving screens on every play, but fouls called selectively; certain players are allowed to be mugged while other players almost never commit a foul, the inconsistencies of calls, called at one end and not the other end; the far ref makes the call while the near ref swallows their whistle, the charge/block calls are a joke! It really is a simple call, If the offensive player initiates contact by lowering her shoulder its a charge every time, unless the defense is inside the 1/2 circle!
Diggins & ND did that all the time to UCONN and got the charge call!

Reaction Score
And Seattle - as I recall they just got the 1st and 3rd pick in this past draft - would it be fair for them to get another #1 pick this coming year?

The last time Seattle had two #1s in a row, they turned into Lauren Jackson and Sue Bird. Good for the league as well as Seattle.

Reaction Score
View attachment 9849

Thats like me saying I hope Tyus Jones goes to Houston so he can show how good you can be if you play at Duke... or Okafor with the Lakers can help in Duke's recruiting out west :rolleyes:
YES! your always an ambassador of your school. In woman's bball it is the result of improving over 4 years, not being babysat for 1. Players look up to the top players. Our best former players are in MN, WA, NY. Nothing wrong with spreading them out for all the young players to see and admire.

Reaction Score
I think the worst least talented team , worst coach and worst managed team in the WNBA should have the rights to the number one pick just like the NBA does. Let's be honest that's how it works and usually the same worst talented, coached and managed get the next years pick too unless you are a good team and tank it because your boss tells you too.

Reaction Score
the NBA has a lottery. The Knicks tied for the worst record and are picking 4th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom