So... UConn 56 - URI 49 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

So... UConn 56 - URI 49

How do feel after this game?

• Great! 56 points, what's not to like?

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • Good. We needed a win and now we have one.

Votes: 77 41.4%
  • Okay. This may be the only game we win.

Votes: 64 34.4%
  • Bad. We gave up 49 points. Crocker is officially on the clock

Votes: 29 15.6%
  • OMG QUIT FBS! We barely won a squeaker against a FCS team (again.)

Votes: 9 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
We need a guy who can deliver the ball as called in the huddle. It was painfully obvious that he is missing early reads. That doesn't work against FBS squads. Being the best offensive player on a bad teams isn't really worth much.

He completed 75% of his passes, threw for over 300 and ran for over 100. I don't know what you're looking for, he's a college QB playing at UConn, not Aaron Rodgers

Reaction Score
Haha. Thanks for correcting my grammar. Duly noted. I will do better.

Funny I’m watching highlights of Oklahoma/Iowa State. On one of ISU’s touchdowns the ESPN analysts pointed out four missed tackles on that one play by Oklahoma.
There are countless missed tackles from FBS all the way up to Sundays. You hear coaches complain about the change in contact rules and limits on practice that have affected tackling. You just don’t get enough live sessions for tackling.
Btw, I’m watching Nebraska, which btw is coached by a very good Frost. They looked lost against Troy. The amount of missed tackles against those Troy players would make you think they were poorly coached.
And as for FSU? Taggart was perceived as a good coach from WKU to USF. They look woefully coached right now. Lots of missed tackles and poor angles by their players.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree.

Again, thanks for the grammar corrections
OK

Reaction Score
Because I saw them arguing during the game, or if not arguing having an animated discussion. Also the way Crocker reacted when the game was over. If it had already happened there would have been no arguing at all, though I do think Edsall called for some blitzing near the eog.
“Also the way Crocker reacted when the game was over”

This my friend is a sentence fragment. It cannot stand on its own.

Do me a favor bud? When you decide to be an idiot and point out a flaw- be it grammatical or even attacking someone’s right to opine- make sure your cupboard is neatly arranged and beds made.
I’d like to think we are all intelligent adults who have differences of opinion. Sure, we can provide counter points but that creates a fun board discussing a topic which we all have a vested interest in.

Shame on you for even going there. It’s silly season.

Good day

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
List for me the successful coaching staffs that change their schemes from year to year based on personnel. It won’t be long, I can tell you that.

This is on Randy. Don’t bring in a guy that runs a specific scheme if you have no intention of running that scheme.

Here is an article (older, though) that talks about wide-sweeping changes throughout college football just based on what types of players are available to them and what types of offenses people are running:

Schlabach: More teams turn to 3-4 defense

"Coaches and their defensive coordinators offer myriad reasons for the sudden resurgence of the 3-4. With four linebackers, defenses can put more speed on the field to attack spread offenses. Also, coaches say linebackers are more bountiful than defensive linemen on the recruiting trail."

"I think football is cyclical," new Texas A&M defensive coordinator Tim DeRuyter said. "Everyone is trying to stay ahead of the curve on things."

"I think if somebody does something and wins with it, wins on a consistent basis, I think more and more people will gravitate to that style," Georgia coach Mark Richt said.

Plenty of folks adjust their style to match their opponents or their player pool availability. This is not something new. And while it's true that there are some fantastic "systems" coaches, it shouldn't mean that they can't adjust to what they have and to what they need to do...

C

Chief00

Uh I believe you think it’s so complicated that you have to break it down for the board. I think I did a good job detailing a large portion of why this is happening.
Lack of experience.
The techniques are being taught every day- the talking points from practice and games are gone over all week. I’m sure all the coaches meet daily to go over the direction of practice and what needs to be the points of emphasis.
The rest is up to the players in how they take that information and carry it over from day to day. Here is where you find out who takes it seriously, how high a player’s ceiling truly is, and how fast a young kid can develop confidence.
You find all that out after a couple of years of a kid being in the program.
Not rocket science.

Going through the motions of what’s expected, doesn’t get you wins.

C

Chief00

Haha. Thanks for correcting my grammar. Duly noted. I will do better.

Funny I’m watching highlights of Oklahoma/Iowa State. On one of ISU’s touchdowns the ESPN analysts pointed out four missed tackles on that one play by Oklahoma.
There are countless missed tackles from FBS all the way up to Sundays. You hear coaches complain about the change in contact rules and limits on practice that have affected tackling. You just don’t get enough live sessions for tackling.
Btw, I’m watching Nebraska, which btw is coached by a very good Frost. They looked lost against Troy. The amount of missed tackles against those Troy players would make you think they were poorly coached.
And as for FSU? Taggart was perceived as a good coach from WKU to USF. They look woefully coached right now. Lots of missed tackles and poor angles by their players.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree.

Again, thanks for the grammar corrections

With all those practice restrictions, how do our opponents learn to tackle us?
You are starting to sound like a Crocker Apologist BOT machine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Randy tends to micromanage what’s not working.
It's called getting a little help with your job. It is the same in every endeavor. Don't blame Randy. That is what he is supposed to do.

Reaction Score
You are starting to sound like a Crocker Apoligist BOT machine.
Experience brother.
The defenses we’re playing have it. We don’t. And even still, it’s not that easy.

Sure, UCF and Rhode Island did a great job tackling Pindell.
Boise did an excellent job- oh, that’s cause they returned 10 of 11 starters from last year’s defense.

Again
Experience.
Can we say it again?
Experience.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
They will get better with more experience, but they amount they need to improve is unrealistic even with a ton of experience. Bless 'em, the kids just aren't very talented, especially compared to who they're lining up against. Just playing more isn't going to overcome all of that.

Reaction Score
You are starting to sound like a Crocker Apoligist BOT machine.
One that can't spell either. Lol
I hope Crocker sees the light, let's just hope we don't get "blowned" out next week. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They will get better with more experience, but they amount they need to improve is unrealistic even with a ton of experience. Bless 'em, the kids just aren't very talented, especially compared to who they're lining up against. Just playing more isn't going to overcome all of that.

It's not either or. We probably have a few guys playing on d right now who will turn into real impact players, a few who will be suitable starters, and a few who aren't going to work out and we'll need to replace in future recruiting classes.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
He fell to his knees.

Nothing wrong with this IMO. With the game on the line a unit that had been battered for three straight games made the most important play of the season to date (on two consecutive plays). I like a coach to be that emotionally invested in the success of his players. People can get on him about an endless pile of other things.

I see people having a difficult time deciding between pulling for the current team to be successful, being angry that they aren't, looking to support them and looking for people to blame.

The only honest reaction is to be doing all of these at the same time. An occupational hazard of being a fan if your team is in the basement.

My advice is to do your best to avoid apathy and we'll all get together for a virtual group hug should it ever turn itself around.

C

Chief00

Nothing wrong with this IMO. With the game on the line a unit that had been battered for three straight games made the most important play of the season to date (on two consecutive plays). I like a coach to be that emotionally invested in the success of his players. People can get on him about an endless pile of other things.

I see people having a difficult time deciding between pulling for the current team to be successful, being angry that they aren't, looking to support them and looking for people to blame.

The only honest reaction is to be doing all of these at the same time. An occupational hazard of being a fan if your team is in the basement.

My advice is to do your best to avoid apathy and we'll all get together for a virtual group hug should it ever turn itself around.

Chief stayed until the end.

Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree here. I do believe there are some really talented freshmen on this team. Time will definitely tell it all- we’ll have to wait for a few years though.
This offseason will be the most critical one for them all. We need to see how they take all of these experiences and use them during the winter/spring/summer.
Most of them were in HS during spring ball so they weren’t really preparing like everyone else they were destined to be on the field with such as UCF, Boise and even Rhode Island. And when they arrived during the summer, the field workouts are absent coaches. And preparing in the weight room, most of them had no real training prior to arriving on campus. And these are the kids who we are mostly relying on defensively. Do you realize that every team we played against so far had winter and spring weight training at the collegiate level and our freshmen had zero?
In HS, these offenses are as vanilla as can be. These kids were not facing teams that had studs, grown men at almost every skill position on the field. It’s almost like a culture shock.

Give them an entire winter, spring and fall in the weight room along with the experience of getting their butts whooped and at least knowing what to expect.
They’re gonna be better next year. Much better. It will start to slow down for them.

Reaction Score
It's not either or. We probably have a few guys playing on d right now who will turn into real impact players, a few who will be suitable starters, and a few who aren't going to work out and we'll need to replace in future recruiting classes.
This
Thank you sir

Reaction Score
No.

We have some good players on offense and they as a group dominated URI's FCS defense. Pindell can tuck and run, but he is not a good passing QB.
If he has that many yards in completions, I don't care if he throws knuckleballs, for God's sake! Take a happy pill.

Reaction Score
We do not have the physical strength or quickness with enough players at LB and DB to run Crocker's defense. So we put more lineman on the field the first 2 games and most of today. Finally we put some faster players at DE in the 4th Q. Having this many freshman DB's is insane but it is where we are. The need to recruit at the DE and LB spots is glaring and unless we get a JUCO we are still putting freshman on the field who aren't ready next year. Pindell sometimes takes a while to hit an open receiver and there are times when he needs to put more heat on his throws but for the most part he put the ball on the money today. The biggest thing that led to the win for us today is that we took the lead and never trailed all game.
Remember the best thing about freshmen...they become sophomores.

Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree here. I do believe there are some really talented freshmen on this team. Time will definitely tell it all- we’ll have to wait for a few years though.
This offseason will be the most critical one for them all. We need to see how they take all of these experiences and use them during the winter/spring/summer.
Most of them were in HS during spring ball so they weren’t really preparing like everyone else they were destined to be on the field with such as UCF, Boise and even Rhode Island. And when they arrived during the summer, the field workouts are absent coaches. And preparing in the weight room, most of them had no real training prior to arriving on campus. And these are the kids who we are mostly relying on defensively. Do you realize that every team we played against so far had winter and spring weight training at the collegiate level and our freshmen had zero?
In HS, these offenses are as vanilla as can be. These kids were not facing teams that had studs, grown men at almost every skill position on the field. It’s almost like a culture shock.

Give them an entire winter, spring and fall in the weight room along with the experience of getting their butts whooped and at least knowing what to expect.
They’re gonna be better next year. Much better. It will start to slow down for them.
A straightforward and logical analysis. Well done.

Reaction Score

Couldn't disagree more. A number of these freshman are very talented athletically. With seasoning they will become very good football players. I would be willing to bet at least 3 of them will play in the NFL.

Reaction Score
Here is an article (older, though) that talks about wide-sweeping changes throughout college football just based on what types of players are available to them and what types of offenses people are running:

Schlabach: More teams turn to 3-4 defense

"Coaches and their defensive coordinators offer myriad reasons for the sudden resurgence of the 3-4. With four linebackers, defenses can put more speed on the field to attack spread offenses. Also, coaches say linebackers are more bountiful than defensive linemen on the recruiting trail."

"I think football is cyclical," new Texas A&M defensive coordinator Tim DeRuyter said. "Everyone is trying to stay ahead of the curve on things."

"I think if somebody does something and wins with it, wins on a consistent basis, I think more and more people will gravitate to that style," Georgia coach Mark Richt said.

Plenty of folks adjust their style to match their opponents or their player pool availability. This is not something new. And while it's true that there are some fantastic "systems" coaches, it shouldn't mean that they can't adjust to what they have and to what they need to do...

I think making a one-time change based on trends is very different from what I'm describing. That really should be obvious.

Reaction Score
Strange thing about this game was that the offense did what you would expect it to do to a 1AA team. I mean we scored virtually at will. On defense at times it seemed that we would be better off using a bunch of orange cones. At least the URI guys might have tripped over them. With any sort of defense at all this would have been a comfortable 56-21 type 1A over 1AA win.

Reaction Score
Strange thing about this game was that the offense did what you would expect it to do to a 1AA team. I mean we scored virtually at will. On defense at times it seemed that we would be better off using a bunch of orange cones. At least the URI guys might have tripped over them. With any sort of defense at all this would have been a comfortable 56-21 type 1A over 1AA win.
I agree here. This should have been one of those type games. It was nice to see the offense push them around and score at will.
The young defense definitely made it way more tense than it had to be.
But I’m glad they stood up when the pressure was on. That’s a plus.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom