So splitting right after the 2003 ACC raid was the right idea. | The Boneyard

So splitting right after the 2003 ACC raid was the right idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Seems like so long ago.

A few of us were right on the money. The problem with being ten years ahead of your time is that ten years later everyone forgets you were a visionary and you're still ten years ahead.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
So... how would it have prevented Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, Rutgers and Louisville from leaving?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So... how would it have prevented Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, Rutgers and Louisville from leaving?

Don't screw up his victory lap with your logical mumbo jumbo.

Reaction Score
...it wouldn't have made any difference. The BE was never a viable football conference, and has been visibly unsustainable for more than a decade. It's no coincidence that a school with a stadium smaller than 65,000 hasn't won a NC since GT in 1990. Nor is it likely such a feat will ever happen again.

Consequently, it's equally visionary to predict the ACC will cease to exist in ten years. The top three BCS conferences still need to get to 16. A lot of cannibalization awaits, and it's only a matter of time before Clemson and FSU jump ship. At this point, I can only envision two scenarios where UConn can realistically continue to fund a nationally competitive athletics program.

A) they find a way into the B1G, or B) Texas commits to becoming the Big XII anchor, and UConn is invited to the party. The only other rational option is an eventual move to the ACC with the single intent of temporary life support, and a prayer that a spot eventually opens in the B1G after the SEC and Pac12 meet quota.

Reaction Score
1. Splitting would have created a new conference.
2. The new conference would then have negotiated a television contract more in line with the money the ACC and other conferences were making.
3. That would have reduced the need or urge to leave as it is driven by money.
4. Ergo, that league would probably still be intact.

Next question.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I do agree that by 2009 it was apparent that the Big East TV contract was strangling the conference, and needed to be renegotiated at any cost. In fact, I said that at the time and one of the posters in this thread attacked me for it. If splitting the league was needed to bust the contract, than the Big East should have split the league.

Ignoring a problem does not mean it is not a problem.

Reaction Score
Seems like so long ago.

A few of us were right on the money. The problem with being ten years ahead of your time is that ten years later everyone forgets you were a visionary and you're still ten years ahead.
I have to say I agreed with you then and I agree now. Probably the only thing we have agreed on in all that time.

Reaction Score
A split was the right thing to do, but NI or JM could have never told ND to go screw themselves. The remaining schools still benefited because most are now in the acc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom