So proud of this team... | The Boneyard

So proud of this team...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I am so unbelievably proud of this team. I needed a night to let the enormity sink in. Perhaps one of the most impressive, surprising, and satisfying wins in history (obviously NC wins are the most awesome).

Once all the injuries sunk in, I really felt this team should make the sweet 16, but their absolute upside was the elite 8. During the season, we lost to every top 10 team we played including ND who is at the least top 15, if not top 10. So from my perspective, this team was not going to be able to beat a 1 or 2 seed. So happy I was wrong. It's not that I doubted the teams' heart, talent, desire, etc., but when you start 2 freshmen, and your only 2 core subs off the bench are also 2 freshmen, well... it's not a recipe for success.

We took USC's best shot in the first quarter when USC raced out to their lead. Geno has said several times that the team is not good coming from behind down the stretch because they are tired, but early in the game with fresh legs, the deficit was not too much to handle.

This was a total team effort. Sure Paige (with a POY caliber performance) and Liya shined with their offense, but the defense and PG play of Nika (8 assists, 3 turnovers) was also key. KK and Ash did not have a lot of offense, but they hustled and battled. And I was shocked (and thrilled) to see Geno using Q off the bench, and then so happy she played well. And Ice - such a good game from her.

I'll say it again. 7 core players, 4 of them freshmen. Just wow. And the happiness and celebration after the game - seeing their enjoyment (and tears - Jana was in tears, and this from a kid who has not even played 1 minute of basketball for UCONN) - a testament to the chemistry and love this team has for each other.

The coaching job Geno and the staff did this year is 2nd to none. Geno should be COY for what he did with what we lost, so for him to not even be in the top 5 is shameful.

So proud of this team and what they accomplished. And not only the result on the court - seeing Paige (and Geno) stop Juju in the handshake line and say some encouraging words to her was a class act. Over the moon that they get to experience a final 4. Regardless of what happens, yes... they are in the final 4. Geno has often said that to win a NC, most of the time you need a lot of luck in additional the skill, hard work, preparation, etc. Well, the stars have certainly aligned up to now. At this point, anything is possible.

Final 4 baby!! Here we come!!

Reaction Score
I am so unbelievably proud of this team. I needed a night to let the enormity sink in. Perhaps one of the most impressive, surprising, and satisfying wins in history (obviously NC wins are the most awesome).

Once all the injuries sunk in, I really felt this team should make the sweet 16, but their absolute upside was the elite 8. During the season, we lost to every top 10 team we played including ND who is at the least top 15, if not top 10. So from my perspective, this team was not going to be able to beat a 1 or 2 seed. So happy I was wrong. It's not that I doubted the teams' heart, talent, desire, etc., but when you start 2 freshmen, and your only 2 core subs off the bench are also 2 freshmen, well... it's not a recipe for success.

We took USC's best shot in the first quarter when USC raced out to their lead. Geno has said several times that the team is not good coming from behind down the stretch because they are tired, but early in the game with fresh legs, the deficit was not too much to handle.

This was a total team effort. Sure Paige (with a POY caliber performance) and Liya shined with their offense, but the defense and PG play of Nika (8 assists, 3 turnovers) was also key. KK and Ash did not have a lot of offense, but they hustled and battled. And I was shocked (and thrilled) to see Geno using Q off the bench, and then so happy she played well. And Ice - such a good game from her.

I'll say it again. 7 core players, 4 of them freshmen. Just wow. And the happiness and celebration after the game - seeing their enjoyment (and tears - Jana was in tears, and this from a kid who has not even played 1 minute of basketball for UCONN) - a testament to the chemistry and love this team has for each other.

The coaching job Geno and the staff did this year is 2nd to none. Geno should be COY for what he did with what we lost, so for him to not even be in the top 5 is shameful.

So proud of this team and what they accomplished. And not only the result on the court - seeing Paige (and Geno) stop Juju in the handshake line and say some encouraging words to her was a class act. Over the moon that they get to experience a final 4. Regardless of what happens, yes... they are in the final 4. Geno has often said that to win a NC, most of the time you need a lot of luck in additional the skill, hard work, preparation, etc. Well, the stars have certainly aligned up to now. At this point, anything is possible.

Well said. Couldn't agree more.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
100% on every point including my assessment of their chances going in.

Reaction Score

Great post! As you say, the coaching job that brought us here is just unbelievable! I think the job done by Geno and his staff in getting this team to the Final Four has to be the single greatest accomplishment of Geno’s illustrious career!

Sure, there are many others, but none where he was able to accomplish so much with a team that was so clearly disadvantaged in both numbers and experience in virtually very game. Yes, we had quality players but to take this team with three seniors and four freshmen to the Final Four is almost unimaginable!

Plus, there are other, secondary aspects that many do not see. Not only was he able to get the actual playing part of this done but at the same time he was able to nurture and encourage the rest of the team (almost all of them with season ending injuries) to become one of the closest, most loving and supportive benches I have ever seen! As I said in another post, it is a travesty that he is not even mentioned on the list of COY candidates!

Reaction Score

Well said. Great statement.

Reaction Score
Think of it this way. Even if we had no injuries and our full team, we would not be in a better place than we are right now. No matter what happens, this is a spectacular achievement. There will hopefully be no pressure on us Friday. A loose team is a dangerous team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom