So now, who's number two? | The Boneyard

So now, who's number two?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After the 25 pt blowout last year, I asked this question. Some folks thought I was being kinda snarkey, but I didn't think that the team that suffered that kind of beatdown deserved a number two ranking. Well, after tonight, I feel the same way, but I don't know who should be so named, especially after seeing ND's weak effort vs. L'Ville...the dropoff from Number One to everyone else remains vast!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
ND. Then Maryland.

Reaction Score
I still think the #2 team, despite some close games recently, remains (in my mind always has been) Notre Dame. The 2nd best coached, 2 most disciplined, 2nd most emotionally level team in the country. The only team, I believe, that might, under special circumstances, beat UConn on a neutral court.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Baylor or Notre Dame. SC wasn't competitive tonight and Notre Dame was much more competitive against UCONN. Baylor is likely still undefeated if Johnson plays in the game they lost.

South Carolina is a terrible match up for Connecticut because their strength is their post play and they don't shoot well. Their height advantage is negated by Stewart's length, and any bulk advantage is negated by Tuck. Baylor projects to be a tougher matchup because they have solid guard play and good posts. UCONN will exploit Johnson as a scorer, so she'd need to step up and take/make shots for Baylor to be competitive.

Notre Dame is another tough matchup because they run a great offense and have a slew of outstanding shooters. Turner's length matches up well with Stewart's, and Allen is an outstanding point guard. They also are very well coached and play their best in tight games.

SC is a good team that plays very good defense and has a good scoring trio, but they are an awful matchup for Connecticut. I'd love to see them play ND and Baylor, tbose would be great match ups.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Right now, Ohio State at #7 is playing their tails off against MD. OSU could be a dark horse for the final four.

Reaction Score
Has to be the Irish, unless they falter later this week. they played us tougher and are a more complete team. And as long as we don't have to play them in South Bend--and we won't, we should be OK.

Reaction Score
It's hard for me to award SC the number two status...they lost their composure completely in the third quarter...something you don't see Muffett's teams do, even when their performance is mediocre - as it has been on several occasions. Probably the NC matchup yet again, not good news for the Irish!

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Same #2 that I have predicted all season. Notre Dame! The Irish has the offense and I would love to see South Carolina schedule with them.

Reaction Score
My top teams would be: UCONN, South Carolina, ND, Maryland, OSU, and Baylor.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Who was that idiot that said Maryland #3. SC all the way.

Reaction Score
Not sure Baylor will ever rise to #2 and rightfully so. I do believe they are the only team that at the end of the year would have a chance to knock off UCONN but it would take a perfect game by them and an off night by several UCONN players. Chances of that happening are very slim at best.

Reaction Score
After the 25 pt blowout last year, I asked this question. Some folks thought I was being kinda snarkey, but I didn't think that the team that suffered that kind of beatdown deserved a number two ranking. Well, after tonight, I feel the same way, but I don't know who should be so named, especially after seeing ND's weak effort vs. L'Ville...the dropoff from Number One to everyone else remains vast!

During this latest UConn run the 2nd best team has been and continues to be Notre Dame. I think this game against SC shows once again that even though they are certainly a FF team they don't match up well against the Huskies. They don't have enough consistent scorers to do much against the best defensive team in the country. Also, SC needs Wilson/Coates to dominate the opposition for SC to beat a good team, well there is no combo in the country that is capable of dominating Stewart/Tuck... actually just the opposite is more bound to happen... Well done ladies!

Reaction Score
#2 ND, #3 SC, #4 Baylor, #5 Ohio St. #6 TX, #7 Maryland

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
#2 SC, #3ND, #4OSU, #5 Baylor
I think OSU may be the most improved team and will be in the FF

Reaction Score
ND over SC for #2, mainly on the strength of it's coaching staff and overall team demeanor. SC #3, then OSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom