So let's be honest, what's left for UConn? | The Boneyard

So let's be honest, what's left for UConn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
So I'm not shocked by Boise leaving nor will I be shocked when/if SDSU follows suit. So where does that leave the following:

1) The 2013 schedule. You're now looking at two, possibly more, holes in our conference slate. I know we weren't slated to play Boise but if SDSU goes, we were slated to play them. Does the awful play a team twice idea come into play?

2) What's left of this conference? So SDSU and Boise bolt (assuming on SDSU). There are thoughts out there that the MWC isn't done. While I think grabbing Cincy would be bold, it would make them a complete outlier and not sure that's what this conference can afford to do. So let's say they grab UH or SMU or both. So we're back to an Eastern Conference. Who do we replace the 4 teams that leave? Is there anyone even worth adding or do we stay at 8 teams?

3) Who will be carrying this conference on TV? I believe our deal with ESPN for FB has another year and bball is up after this season. The one thing the Boise thing is making glaringly obvious is that no TV network wants to touch the NBE due to the instability of UConn and Cincy. I don't blame them but the reality is that someone, hopefully, needs to cover these games. The C7 are here until 2015 so there is a viable bball conference for another 2 seasons. No one is willing to sign a 2 year deal?!?

4) Finally, where do we go from here? I know everyone wants to believe that the B1G or ACC will swoop us up but let's be honest with ourselves. We've been c**kblocked by teams within the ACC twice and the B1G is a long term pipe dream that may come true but not for some time. Also, how long until the Big-12 acts and grabs Cincy? That just leaves us....I wanna believe that we will end up being fine, but when and for how long until we reach there? It's looking like it's 3-5 years away. It's possible the UMD settlement will change that but we need to look at the now.

I was feeling good after Saturday when KO got is contract and we romped Stanford. The Boise thing doesn't shock me but it definitely makes me worried who the MWC might take next. If it's Cincy.....man....

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
rutgers and uconn will start playing in the b10 this fall all sports. they will pay a little less than wvu $ to leave right away. the next year the 2 to 4 acc schools leaving for the b10 will join and the b10 will have a couple years to build everyone up power wise so that when 2017 comes around they are getting mega offers for the inventory tier 1. by then the tier 2 b10n is juiced up with 2 channels and the b10 per team is so crazy its 50mil+. dez nuts!!!!!!

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
We're going to go Division III. Grow a pair.
Seriously buddy? Maybe you need to just take a step back and look at UConn's situation. Am I saying it's over? No. However, it's not looking so good. If you wanna live in dreamworld, knock yourself out. I like to live in reality. It's not all doom and gloom but there aren't many roses either. So maybe have a serious conversation about this instead of calling everyone else a wimp.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Seriously buddy? Maybe you need to just take a step back and look at UConn's situation. Am I saying it's over? No. However, it's not looking so good. If you wanna live in dreamworld, knock yourself out. I like to live in reality. It's not all doom and gloom but there aren't many roses either. So maybe have a serious conversation about this instead of calling everyone else a wimp.

i'll have marinate mail u a dozen roses.

Reaction Score
Well, this is why I think we go Independent for football, and then if by 2015 we aren't in or in line for the ACC/B1G tag along with the C7.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Well, this is why I think we go Independent for football, and then if by 2015 we aren't in or in line for the ACC/B1G tag along with the C7.
Too hard for us to go Indy...not enough games to play. Conferences are all locked up come October to the point that trying to schedule a game would be a nightmare. Unfortunately we don't have the pull of a ND or even BYU so there's no reason a team would wanna schedule us...not sure if it would work out.

Reaction Score
At least we now know who HFD is sharing a brain with.
Naaa. It's ok. I function on my own. Since some of you want to cry over college athletics, the realistic future for UConn is the ACC or the B1G. If half of our fans cry in fetal position like some of you, then yeah, we have no future.

Reaction Score
Naaa. It's ok. I function on my own. Since some of you want to cry over college athletics, the realistic future for UConn is the ACC or the B1G. If half of our fans cry in fetal position like some of you, then yeah, we have no future.

So talking tough on this message board is how we secure an invite? I'll give it a try.

What's with all you losers fretting over this nonsense? Boise moved to the MWC because they know we are going to the B1G. Herbst and Warde locked it up. F#$k all you losers!

Reaction Score
So talking tough on this message board is how we secure an invite? I'll give it a try.

What's with all you losers fretting over this nonsense? Boise moved to the MWC because they know we are going to the B1G. Herbst and Warde locked it up. F#$k all you losers!
That's HFD's style. Try being severely chronically ill for 30 years. See if you can survive that.

Reaction Score
What a bunch of on this board.

1) This will all work itself out, on its own timetable.

2) Judging by the repeated overreaction from some of you, you obviously have no big problems in your lives. I sincerely hope (for your sake) that it stays that way.

I'd hate to see how some of you would cope with a serious problem in your lives.

This is conference realignment for God's sake, get some perspective and lighten up.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This was obvious. Cross country conferences do not work. They are inherently unstable, as are any conferences with members not participating for all sports.

I don't think the MWC will move east. They have enough schools to choose from in the mountain and pacific time zones.

Aresco needs to call SMU and Houston and suggest the idea of Tulsa to them. Tulane is a decent rival for Houston, as is Memphis. Tulsa makes a good rival for SMU. I've been saying for weeks our conference will probably be ten teams:

East: UConn, Cinci, Temple, USF, UCF
Midwest: SMU, UH, Tulane, Memphis, Tulsa.

Switch Southern Miss for Tulsa if you want.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

2) Judging by the repeated overreaction from some of you, you obviously have no big problems in your lives. I sincerely hope (for your sake) that it stays that way.

I'd hate to see how some of you would cope with a serious problem in your lives.

This is conference realignment for God's sake, get some perspective and lighten up.
Some of us get perspective by lighting up!:)

Reaction Score
HuskyHawk, I posted this in another post this past weekend, so it seems we are on the same page:

IMO, regardless if Boise St and San Diego St bolt out, we should immediately add East Carolina as a full time member. Secure that Navy and hopefully Air Force will come in as football only members. And then look at adding as fulltime members Tulsa (this would hopefully keep Houston & SMU happy) and choose/offer between one of the following Kent St/Ball St/Bowling Green. If Boise St (not now) and San Diego St do stay in as football only members, and any of the above ideas cannot happen, then I would then look at Fresno St and whoever else of value out west that want to join in as football only members...

Reaction Score
...and choose/offer between one of the following Kent St/Ball St/Bowling Green.
UMass (playing football back in Amherst) and probably ODU are better options. Both schools have about two years to get prepared.

Reaction Score

I just had to give you a "like". It's disturbing what I have to see here from grown people who have supposedly "full lives".

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The news is only bad if you think UConn needs a sports conference in order to actually field teams and play things like football and basketball.

The MWC may play hardball with them, but losing Boise provides SDSU with a get-out-jail free card - they can leave the Big East without paying a dime. One way or another, we'll need to replace two more teams and have much, much less leverage to do so.

Reaction Score
Relax folks, just let the process work itself out, it will most likely be in a weaker acc or (long shot) big 10 or 12. It will happen, just not soon enough for most people on this board.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Relax folks, just let the process work itself out, it will most likely be in a weaker acc or (long shot) big 10 or 12. It will happen, just not soon enough for most people on this board.

Can't we just get on with it, then?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Boise ST. is not a surprise to me. Actually a relief. Secure all our other programs and then find a temporary home for our FB program.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The news is only bad if you think UConn needs a sports conference in order to actually field teams and play things like football and basketball.

The MWC may play hardball with them, but losing Boise provides SDSU with a get-out-jail free card - they can leave the Big East without paying a dime. One way or another, we'll need to replace two more teams and have much, much less leverage to do so.

We are a hockey school now. Conference is all set. The fighting Krygiers will put North Dakota State in their place.

Reaction Score
I think Independent in football is doable and based on the fact that our Womens Basketball team gets $1.5m a year, we would probably make more money as an Independent than what we would through a gutted NNNBE conference. We would just have to schedule Army, Navy, UMass and BYU post October, which I think is realistic as they also have scheduling issues. Cincy, Temple, etc. are also possible scheduling options for the later months.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Whatever may be left for us (under a worst case scenario) will still be there three, four or five years down the road. What we need to do, the only thing we can do is basically what we are doing (replacing the football coach excepted for the time being) which is attempting to build the university into something on all levels that looks and acts like a university that belongs among the better major universities.

I don't know what will happen and I realize that there will be further bumps in the road. Contrary to what many on this board believe, I personally believe that the longer it takes for the next round of B1G expansion, the better off we will be as it will put us further along our course of action. Like it or not, if the B1G expands tomorrow, we have little chance of getting there. If it take four years for that conference to announce their expansion to sixteen, we have a very solid chance of being one of the two top candidates.

We need to look at this from a larger perspective than what conference our football program will be playing the 2015 season in. We need to get to the best home for the last eight decades of this century. From that point of view it will make little difference if we landed there in 2016 or 2019. Additionally, it will make little difference (assuming we never land there) if our fate doesn't finally get determined until 2017 instead of 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom