So how come NaLyssa Smith | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So how come NaLyssa Smith

Reaction Score
So Baylor had one player on the whole roster capable of getting the ball to their AA? Come on, if that truly was the case, shame on Mulkey. The salient point is they never even attempted to run a play through Smith, there is a big difference between trying and failing and not trying. There is no doubt in my mind Richards would have made sure to get the ball to Smith but Mulkey did nothing to try and make that happen.
I have said all year Mulkey handled the PG position horribly and didn't even try to develop outside of Richards, it has shown is ugly rear at times and it definitely came back to bite them vs UCONN. Not that I thought Didi was some good PG but she was able to get the ball to her post players.

I hated Baylor's game plan after Didi went down, it was all about Carrington, while she is good, there are other good players on the floor. They wasted quite a few possessions of her doing isolation plays and jacking up bad shots and not attempting to even look at Baylor's best player (Smith). Some of this was UCONN's defense but Baylor literally didn't attempt to get her the ball much.

Mulkey did a good job of getting Baylor to the point it was this year, as it is not as talented and versatile as past teams but she dropped the ball with her game plan at times vs UCONN and refusing to use timeouts to calm her team down and stop momentum from UCONN.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have said all year Mulkey handled the PG position horribly and didn't even try to develop outside of Richards, it has shown is ugly rear at times and it definitely came back to bite them vs UCONN.

I hated Baylor's game plan after Didi went down, it was all about Carrington, while she is good, there are other good players on the floor. They wasted quite a few possessions of her doing isolation plays and jacking up bad shots and not attempting to even look at Baylor's best player (Smith). Some of this was UCONN's defense but Baylor literally didn't attempt to get her the ball much.

Mulkey did a good job of getting Baylor to the point it was this year, as it is not as talented and versatile as past teams but she dropped the ball with her game plan at times vs UCONN and refusing to use timeouts to calm her team down and stop momentum from UCONN.
I did not see a lot of Baylor this season. But I do check out the scores. In Many games Baylor dominated their opponents. How much PT did Mulkey give Andrews in those early season blowouts?

Reaction Score
I did not see a lot of Baylor this season. But I do check out the scores. In Many games Baylor dominated their opponents. How much PT did Mulkey give Andrews in those early season blowouts?
Andrews got a bit of time actually and improved a lot towards the end of the season but she played majority of it off the ball than at the PG position. They had Richards, J. Oliver or Owens handle the PG position while she was the off guard who and was able to be a good threat from the perimeter with her 3 point shooting.

She clearly wasn't ready to be a PG. Andrews is extremely talented but wasn't ready for that role this year. Maybe she develops into one next season but don't think they really worked or developed her enough to assume that position year 1. She was better in a shooting role than distributing. She came into the game and did the best she could do.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Unless Kim or some of the Lady Bears address this specifically, we don’t know for certainty that the last offensive series was what Kim drew up and wanted. It’s possible that she called a different play that wasn’t executed the way it was intended.

To clarify, I’m not saying this was the case - I just hold to its being a possibility.

But looking at Baylor’s performance over several years, it seems a recurring theme that when the team faces unexpected adversity, they don’t respond too well. Doesn’t speak well of Kim.

That being said and as regards our game, I think that we have to give them credit for not folding after the 19-0 run and finding themselves down by 9 with the likelihood that Richards wasn’t returning. Speaks well of Kim and the players.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
....... And with 6 sec to go? That was yet another charge.
The one w/ the controversial no call at the end of the game? If that's what you're talking about, I didn't see what you saw.

Reaction Score
But looking at Baylor’s performance over several years, it seems a recurring theme that when the team faces unexpected adversity, they don’t respond too well. Doesn’t speak well of Kim.
There have been times where Kim's teams have folded like cheap tents but they literally clawed their way back and fought back after each run against a great UCONN team. They had a response every time UCONN made a run. I wouldn't say they didn't handle the adversity well. It was a respectable fight they put up

What I think Baylor didn't do well:
-Not calling a TO during UCONN's 19-0 run
- that last play call, I am not a fan of and we can agree with that. It gave Carrington very little chance. Foul or no foul, you can't put yourself into that position.
-Not enough touches for Smith. Best player for Baylor period and she is a mismatch to defend in the open floor.

Reaction Score
Carrington was overly aggressive, being called for a charge at 9:04 & 7:24, & the last second attempt was a charge, as well. But when the 19 point run was over, UConn scored only 5 points in the last 7 minutes.
The last second attempt was no charge. As Geno said Paige got fouled earlier and didn't get the call. Even Geno's daughter and Swin Cash called it a foul on social media. The 3 refs were letting that play on. Players need to be aware of how refs are calling the game.

Reaction Score
The last second attempt was no charge. As Geno said Paige got fouled earlier and didn't get the call. Even Geno's daughter and Swin Cash called it a foul on social media. The 3 refs were letting that play on. Players need to be aware of how refs are calling the game.
As a former coach people should understand what we see, the player sees and the refs see depends on where you are. If you were standing in front or behind Edwards you could think her hands were straight up. From the side, and of course with 50 camera angles in slow motion you see her hands were forward, not straight up. Plays happen very fast. It's possible more than one ref could have been blocked by the 7 other players, and again were you stand effects what a ref calls. 3 refs and they all thought play on. In hind sight if the refs looked back, and they do, they will find many missed calls or called fouls that weren't. They get evaluated for consistency and how even the calling of the game is.

Reaction Score
I rewatched the game and saw a couple of factors I missed the first time:
-When getting the ball around the key, Smith seemed reluctant to drive on Aubrey. I had thought Aubrey had a mediocre 1st half but changed my mind after the replay.
-Carrington was unstoppable for a time but never looked to pass. Once UConn recognized this, they doubled her most times she got the ball. One factor that contributed to Carrington's poor offensive performance the 2nd half.

Reaction Score
I still don't know how people expect a ref to call a foul in real time even after people who watch slow mo and look at the still shots from different angles still debate. Also don't understand the argument that the final minutes of play is more important than the other 39 minutes so the game should get called differently at the end of the game. If that's true, then we might as well reduce the game to a hockey style shootout. Each team picks five players to shoot two FTs and whoever knocks down the most wins. That way we don't have to waste our time with the other 39 minutes.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
only took 5 shots in the second half, Coach Mulkey? and she made 4. I believe Christyn was guarding her, but Christyn wasn't going to stop her a lot of the time, but obviously she wasn't taking shots a lot of the time. She was their best player, but she was taking many more shots. maybe a bigger reason for Baylor losing than the unfortunate no-call.
Their best player that night was Carrington closely followed by Didi.

Reaction Score
Queen Egbo had a pretty effective game as well. She rebounded, defended and made some crucial shots down low. Every time Mulkey spelled her with Bickle or Gusters, she was forced to get Egbo back in quickly as UConn tended to take advantage of her absence.

Reaction Score
As a former coach people should understand what we see, the player sees and the refs see depends on where you are. If you were standing in front or behind Edwards you could think her hands were straight up. From the side, and of course with 50 camera angles in slow motion you see her hands were forward, not straight up. Plays happen very fast. It's possible more than one ref could have been blocked by the 7 other players, and again were you stand effects what a ref calls. 3 refs and they all thought play on. In hind sight if the refs looked back, and they do, they will find many missed calls or called fouls that weren't. They get evaluated for consistency and how even the calling of the game is.
Carrington was carrying the offense under great pressure. She was called for charging at 9:04 & 7:24 that I saw. With 5 seconds left, she turned to her right, & elevated right into the upraised arms of 2 UConn players. I just viewed it again, & it was her movement into the UConn players that determined the contact. It has become the living symbol of the anti-UConn crowd. It was the pattern of behavior of Carrington in this game, to charge the opposition; to take control of the offense - but she would not pass the ball to teammates waiting for the ball. When Paige was lying on the floor with a Baylor player lying on top of her, Geno asked the official what happened. The official said "I don't know". If it had been a cleaner game, it would have meant a greater margin of victory for UConn.

Reaction Score
Smith had 13 rebounds and 14 points, while taking only 13 shots. Carrington shot 32% for the game, 17% for the 2nd half, along with 3 turnovers, some critical. She takes 12 shots in the 2nd half, while Baylor's All American takes only 5. Mulkey should have shut down Carrington some, and gone to her best player more. Didi's story certainly was inspiring, and she rightly deserved the recognition. But 4 points and 2 assists in 30 minutes ( injury considered) does not make for a good game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Carrington was carrying the offense under great pressure. She was called for charging at 9:04 & 7:24 that I saw. With 5 seconds left, she turned to her right, & elevated right into the upraised arms of 2 UConn players. I just viewed it again, & it was her movement into the UConn players that determined the contact. It has become the living symbol of the anti-UConn crowd. It was the pattern of behavior of Carrington in this game, to charge the opposition; to take control of the offense - but she would not pass the ball to teammates waiting for the ball. When Paige was lying on the floor with a Baylor player lying on top of her, Geno asked the official what happened. The official said "I don't know". If it had been a cleaner game, it would have meant a greater margin of victory for UConn.
One thing that has happened in basketball is you here all the time a player jumped into the the defender to draw contact. James Harden makes his living because of this. Geno has noted this. Unless the defender is in control and not moving toward the offensive player the offensive player gets the call very often. Just look at the sentence - the offensive player JUMPS into the defender to draw contact should tell you rules needed to adapt to this. Basketball, like football (breath on the quarterback and draw a penalty) want more scoring believing fans want offense. It's really not good for the sport but someone has to stand up in order for change to happen.

Reaction Score
One thing that has happened in basketball is you here all the time a player jumped into the the defender to draw contact. James Harden makes his living because of this. Geno has noted this. Unless the defender is in control and not moving toward the offensive player the offensive player gets the call very often. Just look at the sentence - the offensive player JUMPS into the defender to draw contact should tell you rules needed to adapt to this. Basketball, like football (breath on the quarterback and draw a penalty) want more scoring believing fans want offense. It's really not good for the sport but someone has to stand up in order for change to happen.
I hear ya!
I want to put it a slightly different way. IMO a basketball move has integrity. There's much that goes into that: is the player "on-balance". either offense or defense. Ex. offensive player attacks the basket and trips and gets hit by the defender. The player being off-balance supersedes the contact unless the contact is deemed unnecessary by the defender. Play-on. I truly believe that the offensive player has to have a reasonable expectation of converting the play before there is a possibility of a foul situation. So, if the offensive player has a half-inch of space to attack and the defenders are holding their ground and there is contact with no reasonable chance of converting the play- Play-on. The defenders have to hold their ground with their arms up. Fouls called in these examples are called, "bail-out" calls. Using slang, the offensive player's got nothing so they do not deserve a foul call.
Reason #1 for any infraction is fairness between the players involved. Is there an unfair advantage by one or the other player. IMO there is a hierarchy of factors that comes into play before a foul is considered. 1) highest level- safety of the players 2) integrity of the basketball play- spirit of the game itself 3) unfair advantage by one player or the other- maybe verticality 4) contact
So, long story short: I did not feel the Baylor/Carrington play was a foul. If I was a player I would in no way expect to be rewarded for such a move with a foul and two shots. Reminds me of a college pickup game in which I out of frustration called a foul on a play like that and the guy defending me threw the ball at me. I had it coming and I actually remember the instance 40 years later. Shame on you LeBron and you too Carrington.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom