SNY's Sean Mulcahy's Report Card | The Boneyard

SNY's Sean Mulcahy's Report Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just sharing - I didn't write it!

Sean Mulcahy’s Report Card
October 22nd, 2012 6:45 pm

Mulcahy’s Report Card ~ Former UConn defensive end and SNY studio analyst Sean Mulcahy grades UConn’s 40-10 loss to Syracuse on Friday night.

Quarterback - Grade: B

Mulcahy’s comments: Chandler Whitmer played above average compared to the rest of the team with 293 yards passing and a touchdown despite heavy pressure. He did throw a pick, albeit at the end of the game with no effect on the outcome. Whitmer spread the ball around nicely, continuing to look for the open receiver and best option to sustain drives. He did prove one thing, Whitmer is not soft. He got hit and hurried a lot Friday night and hung in there like a true competitor.

Running back - Grade: F

Comments: What can I say? 16 yards on 12 carries for Lyle McCombs? Atrocious, but it’s not all on him. It’s a complete team effort on the offensive side for that matter. Not much in the run game and falling behind leads to a -6 total in the rush department. The blitz pickup of the running backs and fullbacks was terrible. Where was Max Delorenzo?

Wide receiver - Grade: C+

Comments: Not bad, but not enough. Mike Smith (4 rec., 61 yards) and Geremy Davis (4 rec., 79 yards) led the way but couldn’t make any big plays. That’s where Nick Williams needed to come in and give the offense some explosiveness down the field but couldn’t make anything happen with three catches. UConn desperately needs YAC-yards after catch. I haven’t not seen enough of big plays after the receiver has caught the ball.

Tight end - Grade: B+

Comments: Ryan Griffin is a stud and John Delahunt is as well, he just doesn’t get to show it as much. Griffin (6 catches, 72 yards) had his best game of the year and the two continue to block aggressively and catch the ball consistently. The strength of the Huskies offense lies in getting the tight ends involved.

Offensive line - Grade: F

Comments: The Huskies gained only -6 yards rushing. Whitmer was under siege at times in the passing game and there was no push in the running game. The offensive line was over matched, and is now without Adam Masters, who is out for the season with a right ankle injury. There is not much more to say about the performance.

Defensive line - Grade: F

Comments: 250 rushing yards allowed? What has happened since the first thre games? Where is the dominance? Angelo Pruitt is a big guy. He shouldn’t be getting pushed around like that. Neither should DTs Shamar Stephen and Ryan Wirth. Nothing from Trevardo Williams, who didn’t get near Syraucse QB ryan Nassib. I guess the loss of Jesse Joseph and Teddy Jennings really shows here. No sacks.

Linebacker - Grade: C-

Comments: Statistically it was not bad-Jory Johnson, Sio Moore and Yawin Smallwood combined to lead the team in tackles. Smallwood tied safety Ty-Meer Brown with 10 tackles. Still, 250 rushing yards allowed? A lot of that is up front, but the second level didn’t get the job down either. When a safety gets that many tackles that means DEs and LBs aren’t getting the job done.

Secondary -​
Grade: F

Comments: A lot of missed tackles! Awful against the run even though Ty-Meer Brown had 10 tackles, but a safety should never lead the team in tackles. It translates to the line and linebackers not doing there job. Alec Lemon had 166 yards receiving and two big gains beating safety help. Not a good tackling game, not a good covering game and not a good game at all. Syracuse 8 of 15 on third down? That’s the defense.

Special team - Grade: C+

Comments: At least Chad Christen made his field goal to gain some confidence. Punting was pretty solid as was the coverage in kickoffs and punt coverage. Still not getting what they need out of Nick Williams in the return game.

Coaching = Grade: F

Comments: Fail. the coaching staff couldn’t get the run game going, couldn’t get Syracuse off the field on third down, and took too long to adjust to the intense pressure on Whitmer. Maybe they should have gone apple picking before the game. Maybe it would have loosened the team up.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
When you don't tackle it tells you everything you need to know about your team's level of effort.

Reaction Score
I agree with this assessment. I would love to be able to see Whitmer' full potential if we had a line that could actually block!

Reaction Score
Can't say I disagree with this. If anything, I'd say he was too lenient on the linebackers...

Reaction Score
I think the overall grade for the defense is too harsh. Here are some thoughts to ponder for
Friday's game:
The average starting field position for SU waste SU 47 yard line during the first quarter & SU 35 for the game? Might have something to do with SU kicking 4 field goals & getting 16 additional points on the scoreboard. That 9 of 12 UConn drives were 4 plays or less & two of the other drives ended in turnovers? And SU doesn't lack talent on offense. They racked up 450+ yards and 27 first downs against USC (and I do believe USC has some talent). I think you may be seeing some of the residual effects of the defense being on the field in high pressure situations frequently.

Reaction Score
I think the overall grade for the defense is too harsh. Here are some thoughts to ponder for
Friday's game:
The average starting field position for SU waste SU 47 yard line during the first quarter & SU 35 for the game? Might have something to do with SU kicking 4 field goals & getting 16 additional points on the scoreboard. That 9 of 12 UConn drives were 4 plays or less & two of the other drives ended in turnovers? And SU doesn't lack talent on offense. They racked up 450+ yards and 27 first downs against USC (and I do believe USC has some talent). I think you may be seeing some of the residual effects of the defense being on the field in high pressure situations frequently.

I'm chalking that performance against syracuse up to simple fatigue. Emotional, mental, and physical fatigue.

When the schedule first came out, this syracuse game was the first thing that stood out to me (after MD of course). Eight straight weeks of games to open the season, with the eighth game, coming on a short week and traveling. BRUTAL.

I remember remarking somewhere, in the other board,way back, that this was ESPN, basically ensuring that Syracuse would get the win for the ACC on that night - only game on national TV.

Now I"m not giving excuses, i'm just writing what I think. They played flat, looked uninspired, adn there's plenty of reason to speculate why, and this is only one.

I'm banking on that defense, regaining every bit of speed, force and swagger that they carried into the season, for the next road trip to Tampa, and for the remainder of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom