SNY UCONN Football Season Preview | The Boneyard

SNY UCONN Football Season Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
You mean the podcast? No offense but I found it to be completely off target. Talking up Casey Cochrane? More worried about the defense than the offense? Nothing mentioned about the OL which is arguably the most important unit on the offense? Mulcahey at the end said we went 5-6 two seasons in a row? Oh, and that we have 200+ years of collective experience among the coaching staff. Somehow I don't think that makes this board particularly comfortable.

It's good to get PP out there and talking about the team. I can appreciate some of the things he said about the QB position (noticed he didn't mention McCummings) but I found the analysts to be pretty far off base.

And you know how I know all this? I spent some time on the Harvard campus which, according to Mulcahey, makes me a very smart person.

Reaction Score
right off the bat that Evan dude said PP "bought in" Weist. Yeah, with a gun to his head. Sort of hurt the credibility of the rest of the exercise. And Sean ought to re-check the offensive stats. As bad as UConn was they weren't second-worst in the country.

I will give a dollar to the first media person who characterizes the Weist hire correctly. It's like no one wants to say anything because they don't want GDL or PP to feel bad.

I think the defense isn't going to have as much a dropoff as people seem to fear. I'll be more confident about the offense when I hear TJ's voice.

Reaction Score
only on the boneyard, where posters know more than coaches, media, players, football administration and hate everything that they don't personally agree with. sounds just about right. The uconn fanbase sucks with this negative know it all attitude.

Reaction Score
only on the boneyard, where posters know more than coaches, media, players, football administration and hate everything that they don't personally agree with. sounds just about right. The uconn fanbase sucks with this negative know it all attitude.

?????

Reaction Score

Get with the program guy!

Reaction Score
The poster's points that the media a. makes a lot of obvious mistakes when covering the Huskies and b. shows a complete lack of original thinking are highly supportable. I don't think he even talks about the team itself so he is not being negative about the Huskies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Well, aside from questions about how the media covers UConn football, I'm curious to see what Obi Mel can do in games now that PP has said he's the best athlete we have...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I like the fact that SNY continues to do a nice job of pumping us and supporting us. I really do hope that this relationship between SNY and UConn continues on. I think it helps us and our image in NYC...

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Des' twitter getting hacked and him not noticing is hilarious and unfortunate.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score

Can you point to a single thing that either of the analysts said which you found insightful or interesting? I thought the nuggets of information from PP were the only part worth hearing here. I certainly don't pretend like I know everything there is to know about UConn football but as a passionate fan, how can you not be disappointed with the quality of the media "analysis"?

Reaction Score
Can you point to a single thing that either of the analysts said which you found insightful or interesting? I thought the nuggets of information from PP were the only part worth hearing here. I certainly don't pretend like I know everything there is to know about UConn football but as a passionate fan, how can you not be disappointed with the quality of the media "analysis"?

I was not going to get into this, however, since you bring it up. My comments weren't directed to a single poster, nor even just this thread, just the mentality that has been imposed on the board the last year or so. Its predictable, boring, repetitive negativity and brings down the program.

The purpose of the preview is to promote the husky's so that the general public will want to watch the upcoming season. Its to get people excited about the season and to highlight some of the players on the team to watch out for and interview the head coach. if you are a fan of the team it would make sense to be interested especially when coverage was limited this spring.

I never said that the analysts were correct nor did I say that they were wrong. I said that I enjoyed listening to the podcast. Then you have a bunch of posters on saying that they are way off base ( which they were with certain things) however the criticism then goes to the position strength evaluations, ( which was actually PP ) example, PP says the OL and QB is a strength, and the defense is not ( posters saying he's way off base, based upon the extra inside coverage that this board has, I mean if he's running the program and practices, don't you think he would know? ).

then at others times, repeatedly, posters are saying that Warde doesn't know what he's doing, PP doesn't no what he's doings, Herbst is lost, the university is not running things right, Des Conner's coverage sucks, local media does a bad job, SNY analysts don't know at thing, "why aren't we in the B10, If it was me, we would have been in a better conference." Christ, just stop beating a dead horse, it sucks. Makes me not even wanna post cause, I at least am excited to see how the season unfolds.

Reaction Score
I'm jacked for football season. I was just a BBQ yesterday talking about the season. talking about making the drive to Philly for the November weekend, (a friend's spouse is a Temple alum) bc we looked at calendar and didn't realize the game was Saturday before Turkey day in November - thought the game was Sat after thanksgiving - but thanksgiving is which would have been a no-go - but turkey day is late this year, so we'll probably pay the city of brotherly love a visit and run the Rocky stairs for old time sake.

Hopefully we get a nice contingent of fans down there in Philly this year. Not a long drive. ANd at that point in the season? I can only hope that we're playing with a number b/w 1 and 25 in front of the UCONN and next to the new logo on the scoreboard.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I never said that the analysts were correct nor did I say that they were wrong. I said that I enjoyed listening to the podcast. Then you have a bunch of posters on saying that they are way off base ( which they were with certain things) however the criticism then goes to the position strength evaluations, ( which was actually PP ) example, PP says the OL and QB is a strength, and the defense is not ( posters saying he's way off base, based upon the extra inside coverage that this board has, I mean if he's running the program and practices, don't you think he would know? ).

then at others times, repeatedly, posters are saying that Warde doesn't know what he's doing, PP doesn't no what he's doings, Herbst is lost, the university is not running things right, Des Conner's coverage sucks, local media does a bad job, SNY analysts don't know at thing, "why aren't we in the B10, If it was me, we would have been in a better conference." Christ, just stop beating a dead horse, it sucks. Makes me not even wanna post cause, I at least am excited to see how the season unfolds.

I agree that the negativity that has been omnipresent here through the off-season really made the board difficult to read or participate in. I've tried to post about upcoming opponents and I know others have tried to initiate dialogue regarding position players / offensive strategy, etc and they have just been ignored or hijacked by people who want to convince everyone else why they know so much more than everyone else being paid to do their job at the University.

Our current conference situation is not ideal but we have not reached the end game of conference realignment and it is too early to make final judgment on either Warde or Herbst in that regard. In terms of Conner, he has his flaws (as do we all) but we're better off having him than not in terms of getting the message out there. As for PP, I've tried not to beat the dead horse on it but let's just say we disagree on his abilities.

What made me angry about this podcast was just the shoddy and lazy "analysts" who just didn't say anything interesting or insightful about UConn football and that's what they spend most of their time on. They're supposed to be the experts! Instead we get comments like the one Mulcahey made about Hank Hughes and how just spending time at Harvard must make you smarter or the cumulative years of experience among the coaching staff. It was lazy and the team deserves better. You want to make interesting points about UConn football? Talk about what Lyle McCombs needs to do differently this year to get his redshirt freshman year mojo back. Yes, the OL is all back but what do they need to do differently this year to improve? Just weight room and strength and conditioning or is it technique? We absolutely lost some rock stars on the defense last year so who needs to step up and perform right away? (this last one they partially covered talking about Jones and Mack but that was really it)

I don't think Warde, Herbst, Conner or HCPP have been lazy in doing their jobs. But these guys? I have less sympathy for them. That's all I was trying to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom