SMU | The Boneyard

SMU

Reaction Score
In their game against Cincy, they played essentially 6 players. Ojeleye might be the player of the year in the American, and Ben Moore is a great 4 year player. But they have no scholarship back up forwards. If somehow Amida can stay out of foul trouble, and Facey can have a good game, I think this will be a close game. I worry they murder us on the boards, and we never play well at Moody.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
We can win this game. SMU is overrated. Their record is deceiving. They've played a lot of cupcakes.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We can win this game. SMU is overrated. Their record is deceiving. They've played a lot of cupcakes.
Yeah but always come out and play harder than we do and the team shuts down

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Yeah but always come out and play harder than we do and the team shuts down
It's hard to play hard for 40 minutes when you only have 6 players. We found that out the hard way yesterday.

Reaction Score
Cupcakes OOC? Pitt, Mich, Stanford, USC, TCU, Boise all borderline top 50, except Mich, teams and they won 3 of those

UConn's schedule is much worse comparatively, one 1 top 50 Oregon = L, 5 other top 100s Oh St, Auburn, Ok State, GTown, Northeastern = 5 losses

SMU is a tough out, it would be their best win of the year by a mile if they can play a complete game and make shots, I'd be more surprised if they stay w/in 10-12

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Cupcakes OOC? Pitt, Mich, Stanford, USC, TCU, Boise all borderline top 50, except Mich, teams and they won 3 of those

UConn's schedule is much worse comparatively, one 1 top 50 Oregon = L, 5 other top 100s Oh St, Auburn, Ok State, GTown, Northeastern = 5 losses

SMU is a tough out, it would be their best win of the year by a mile if they can play a complete game and make shots, I'd be more surprised if they stay w/in 10-12
TCU will finish 4-14 or worse in the Big 12 and we know that. Boise is borderline top 50 because they are spanking a bad MWC. None of those teams are top 25. Stanford isn't great and neither are the other two. Wait, did you just say OK St. is worse than TCU? Haha.

Reaction Score
TCU will finish 4-14 or worse in the Big 12 and we know that. Boise is borderline top 50 because they are spanking a bad MWC. None of those teams are top 25. Stanford isn't great and neither are the other two. Wait, did you just say OK St. is worse than TCU? Haha.

TCU and Boise would be over .500 in the AAC and probably easily. SMU while not what it was because they are smaller, is still very talented. Also not having Larry Brown on the bench hurts tremendously not sure this guy has them playing even close to that level.

Reaction Score
TCU is like 13-3 and 3-1 in conference right now.

Reaction Score

FWIW.....UConn's Non-Conf SOS is 68 & SMU's is 98....and Overall SOS for UConn is 39 & SMU is 69

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
SMU is a good rebounding team.
As in every game for UConn (yesterday it was most obvious) AB HAS TO stay in the game
The SMU bigs are much more physical and bigger (muscle wise) than AB and he has issues with these types
IF the UConn bigs play a decent game (16 pts 8 rebs 3 blocks between AB, SE and JD) then UConn has a good chance
Yes, SMU is playing with a very limited bench but UConn has not had any success at Moody

Reaction Score
Yes, but UConn has 0 OOC wins against top 100 and SMU has 3

SMU is hurt by playing 6 games against 150+ teams whereas UConn has only played 3, albeit 'Cuse is 149

Lastly, UConn loss to Wagner (#286) is just unfathomable in hindsight, Wagner lost to Bryant by 11 this week

FWIW.....UConn's Non-Conf SOS is 68 & SMU's is 98....and Overall SOS for UConn is 39 & SMU is 69

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score

The cupcake he is talking about is UConn.

Reaction Score

I would argue that Pitt is a more solid win. Even (ugh) Memphis. Houston and especially Cincy later this year could easily end up being better wins.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
SMU was up by double digits over Tulane but only up 2 at half - defense went to hell

Reaction Score
Not a huge deal, but students aren't back on their campus until next week.

Reaction Score
You do realize TCU is now coached by Jamie Dixon. Pretty good coach, as all UConn fans know.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You do realize TCU is now coached by Jamie Dixon. Pretty good coach, as all UConn fans know.
Good Coach who could never win the BIG game
His team almost always under achieved in post season

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yes, but UConn has 0 OOC wins against top 100 and SMU has 3

SMU is hurt by playing 6 games against 150+ teams whereas UConn has only played 3, albeit 'Cuse is 149

Lastly, UConn loss to Wagner (#286) is just unfathomable in hindsight, Wagner lost to Bryant by 11 this week

Why is that loss to Wagner relevant? Or Northeastern for that matter. This team, as it has played the last 3 games...since it "woke up", would not lose to Wagner or Northeastern or Auburn or Tulsa or even Ohio State. It's not something casual observers can tell, and maybe SMU is similar, I really don't know, but this UConn team is not the team that played the games up to and through Memphis.

Reaction Score
It's not in the sense of affecting at-large since UConn has zero chance even if they run the table and lose in the AAC champ. But they would under that, but virtually no margin for error

The Northeastern is relevant for comparing records in OOC top 100 games

I agree the team is playing better right now, we'll see Thurs, SMU is current a top 35 team and then Cincy soon too

Why is that loss to Wagner relevant? Or Northeastern for that matter. This team, as it has played the last 3 games...since it "woke up", would not lose to Wagner or Northeastern or Auburn or Tulsa or even Ohio State. It's not something casual observers can tell, and maybe SMU is similar, I really don't know, but this UConn team is not the team that played the games up to and through Memphis.

Reaction Score
We are playing better, we can hang with competitive teams, maybe even beat them we'll see but the recurring theme is no margin for error. Last night I watched NCState beat Pitt in a close one. Pitt is 1-5 in the ACC and I don't think we could beat them, same with State.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
We are playing better, we can hang with competitive teams, maybe even beat them we'll see but the recurring theme is no margin for error. Last night I watched NCState beat Pitt in a close one. Pitt is 1-5 in the ACC and I don't think we could beat them, same with State.

Pitt is an enigma to me - start 4 seniors- and they can't win games
They look big and strong but cannot shoot consistently and turnovers

Reaction Score
Pitt is an enigma to me - start 4 seniors- and they can't win games
They look big and strong but cannot shoot consistently and turnovers
They have no big man or post game but if you listen to the experts they tell you, don't need one these days. They do make a lot of 3's but settled for a lot of 3's last night in the second half that didn't go in, and that's the problem because when these players get tired in the second half it happens.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom