SMU game reinforced that next year we will be loaded | The Boneyard

SMU game reinforced that next year we will be loaded

Reaction Score
I have been viewing this season through the prism of how good we can be next season. Most of the season I thought the trio of Jalen, Alterique, and Larrier would be good enough to make us a top 15 next year. We saw how much one player can make a difference when Jalen was out with his concussion. Alterique and Larrier are of the same caliber as Jalen.

What has got me even more excited for next year are:

1) Emergence of Vance Jackson. His turnaround is no longer just a small sample size. Over the pat 7 games he is shooting 52% from the field, 52% from 3, 73% free throw line, averaging 3.4 rebounds, 1.7 assists, and scoring 11.6 pts per game. He is taking smarter shots and is more confident about his shooting. He will help spread opposing defenses and allow guys like Jalen, Alterique and Larrier to attack the rim.

2) The flashes of talent Juwan shows in his limited minutes. Anyone who has played bball knows Juwan is a baller. Good looking shooting form. Good knack for the ball for rebounds, and can finish well around the rim. While this maybe a small sample size, he has grabbed 17 rebound in 54 minutes of play in the past 5 games. That comes out to 13 rebounds on per 40 basis. With more time I believe Juwan will show he is the real deal.

So brining this back to the SMU game, although it was a terrible outcome, the SMU game continued to show Vance is playing very well and shooting lights out, and continued to show that Juwan will be a very talented player.

Yes Jalen shot the ball terribly (1-10) but he is still shooting 44% from the field and 35% from 3 over the course of the season. His 5 turnovers during the SMU game are not too much of a concern next year as Alterique will be handling the point guard role. KO has said that Jalen is more of a scoring guard and Alterique is the point guard. Jalen has shown all season he can score.

So in conclusion the SMU game further proves next year we will be loaded. it may take a few games for Alterique and Larrier to gel back in with the team, but if everyone stays healthy I have no doubt we will one of the best teams in the country next year.

Reaction Score
Brimah and Purvis just need to go (next year, yay!). At this point next year Uconn will be +4 or +5 in wins, I am certain! Maybe even +6.... They won't be knock your socks off amazing, but they will be solid and a tough out for any opponent.

Reaction Score
Brimah and Purvis just need to go (next year, yay!). At this point next year Uconn will be +4 or +5 in wins, I am certain! Maybe even +6.... They won't be knock your socks off amazing, but they will be solid and a tough out for any opponent.

Hate to break it to you but, Brimah could certainly be useful next year.

We need big men.

Brimah is useless this year because the kid is never on the court because of foul trouble.

Reaction Score
The key to next year is the center position, and whether or not Enoch will be developed enough.

Reaction Score
Assuming AG and Larrier will be the same caliber as JA is very bold, especially since both are coming off of major injuries. I do agree that next years team will have a lot of talent and should be much much better.

Reaction Score

We need big men.

Brimah is useless this year because the kid is never on the court because of foul trouble.

If 4 years isn't enough for him to learn how to stay out of foul trouble, can a fifth year really produce a miraculous change? I doubt it. We've wasted way too much time investing in Brimah and it has been a bad investment.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
This team will still have no reliable front court presence, and AG and Larrier are still effectively freshman through the lense of UConn basketball, and have still yet to go through those growing pains.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score

We need big men.

Brimah would be useful next year, but I think the reason he's somewhat useless this year is because we don't have a leader and reliable/consistent scorer on the team. Brimah clearly works better when there's not as much pressure on him to succeed, and he can just focus on blocking shots and rebounding. Our team is so inept offensively that it makes Brimah even worse.

Just look at how well he complemented the team his freshman year. He's physically and mentally gotten better since then, but he looks worse now because the rest of the team is worse, and he's not suited to lead a team.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Brimah would be useful next year, but I think the reason he's somewhat useless this year is because we don't have a leader and reliable/consistent scorer on the team. Brimah clearly works better when there's not as much pressure on him to succeed, and he can just focus on blocking shots and rebounding. Our team is so inept offensively that it makes Brimah even worse.

Just look at how well he complemented the team his freshman year. He's physically and mentally gotten better since then, but he looks worse now because the rest of the team is worse, and he's not suited to lead a team.
He was amazing as a freshman because he had no expectations and only needed to come in for 15-20 minutes a game. Now he's a senior ad expected to lead the team but he can't score a basket, can't rebound, and hasn't learned the game because he can't even stay on the floor most nights. He's a senior starter but he's barely logging any more production, and that's all his own doing, the staff is giving him ample opportunities, play time, and I'd say his leash has been longer than he deserves all year long, still nothing.

Reaction Score

We need big men.

He has some cool blocked shots, and stuff....If he can somehow keep out of foul trouble, he COULD serve as an intimidating presence down low for a decent chunk of the game. But that is a big if requires not making dumb fouls. Plus, those blocked shots are often into the stands and rarely lead to fast break points the other way. Of course I hope the best for him, and improving, but it just has not been seen yet, sighhh...

Reaction Score

Interesting. He is kind of a specialty player. Block shots, rip down those rebounds. If he was surrounded by some scorers, some offensive leaders, he could focus on those aspects. Uconn does not have the luxury right now.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If 4 years isn't enough for him to learn how to stay out of foul trouble, can a fifth year really produce a miraculous change? I doubt it. We've wasted way too much time investing in Brimah and it has been a bad investment.
I think @upstater is projecting that next years group handling the five will be weaker than this years five even with the failure of Brimah to consistently stay on the floor. The few games that the team did well was when Brimah had a good game. There is no way to know if Steve or Polly can give us even the minimum Brimah provided this season. I doubt Durham can play the five. He makes Brimah look like the Hulk.

I can't project how Steve or Polly will do next year. One of those guys really needs to give decent minutes otherwise it can be a long season even if Gilbert and Larrier show us good things next year. I would apply the same rule next year about overweighing projection if Zach came to UConn. But my probability machine would have me liking the odds of a decent five a lot more with him.

Reaction Score
I think people need to throw on the brakes a bit with the Gilbert hype next year. Kid has played less than three college games. My guess is he'll be about what Boat was as a freshman, which is certainly a useful player but not "same caliber as Jalen."

Larrier, as somebody already said, will be coming off an ACL tear. It wasn't an off-season tear where he'll have 18+ months to rehab. This was late November, giving him less than 11 months to when camp starts. He'll also have played about three games of basketball in three years, so there will undoubtedly be some rust to shake off.

If we're hoping for a really good team next year, the best guy to tie those hopes to is probably Durham. Adams, I imagine, will be an all-American type player, and Jackson, Vital, MAL, Gilbert, and Larrier should at the very least be productive. It still feels like we're a piece short in the front court, though. He has the potential to be that second blue chip player, but we'll be held hostage by the progression of his body (both from a strength standpoint and a comfort with the knee standpoint).

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I think @upstater is projecting that next years group handling the five will be weaker than this years five even with the failure of Brimah to consistently stay on the floor. The few games that the team did well was when Brimah had a good game. There is no way to know if Steve or Polly can give us even the minimum Brimah provided this season. I doubt Durham can play the five. He makes Brimah look like the Hulk.

I can't project how Steve or Polly will do next year. One of those guys really needs to give decent minutes otherwise it can be a long season even if Gilbert and Larrier show us good things next year. I would apply the same rule next year if Zach came about projection. But my probability machine would have me liking the odds of a decent five a lot more with him.

Yes, but Polley isn't a 5, at all, he's a stretch 4, and swinging to 3 at times based on the ballhandling I've seen.

Our 5's at this time are Enoch and Carleton. Both need to be able to rebound and defend inside without fouling. I could see scenarios where we might do a spread the floor type offense with, for example , Durham and/or Polley at the 5/4 for short stretches with Jackson and/or Larrier at 3/4, Gilbert and Adams. There's some length there, but not enough strength. So short stretches/situational only.

Reaction Score
This board is deranged, when we are good everyone talks about how much we stink and how we are on the bubble, but when we suck people say how good we can and will be.
I don't see a hell of a lot of people saying that. This is the worst year in 30+ years, but I have some realistic hopes that, at this point in the year next year, they will be around +4 or 5 in wins and perhaps on the bubble.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yes, but Polley isn't a 5, at all, he's a stretch 4, and swinging to 3 at times based on the ballhandling I've seen.

Our 5's at this time are Enoch and Carleton. Both need to be able to rebound and defend inside without fouling. I could see scenarios where we might do a spread the floor type offense with, for example , Durham and/or Polley at the 5/4 for short stretches with Jackson and/or Larrier at 3/4, Gilbert and Adams. There's some length there, but not enough strength. So short stretches/situational only.
My mistake. Confused the two players.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Got it. Should have just written "you mean Carleton, right?"

Reaction Score
I don't see a hell of a lot of people saying that. This is the worst year in 30+ years, but I have some realistic hopes that, at this point in the year next year, they will be around +4 or 5 in wins and perhaps on the bubble.
Then you have not been reading this board, or OP in this thread. That is not my fault.

Reaction Score
Then you have not been reading this board, or OP in this thread.
Well, judging by my post count and join date, it would seem as such. Just have a small sample size.
That is not my fault.
Not saying it is your fault, unless I am going senile and said it and forgot it. Any way, I see a lot of people being realistically positive for next year while calling this year out or what it is, some negative stuff, but mostly the aforementioned.

Reaction Score

We'd still need him though, just as we do this year.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The key to next year is the center position, and whether or not Enoch will be developed enough.
Enoch will be developed enough, especially on the offensive end. Ollie should be telling Adams to throw the ball to him all the time. Enoch can back just about anyone down and he has a nice hook shot to go with it. He can do that on most possessions as almost no one is bigger than him.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I think people need to throw on the brakes a bit with the Gilbert hype next year. Kid has played less than three college games. My guess is he'll be about what Boat was as a freshman, which is certainly a useful player but not "same caliber as Jalen."

Larrier, as somebody already said, will be coming off an ACL tear. It wasn't an off-season tear where he'll have 18+ months to rehab. This was late November, giving him less than 11 months to when camp starts. He'll also have played about three games of basketball in three years, so there will undoubtedly be some rust to shake off.

If we're hoping for a really good team next year, the best guy to tie those hopes to is probably Durham. Adams, I imagine, will be an all-American type player, and Jackson, Vital, MAL, Gilbert, and Larrier should at the very least be productive. It still feels like we're a piece short in the front court, though. He has the potential to be that second blue chip player, but we'll be held hostage by the progression of his body (both from a strength standpoint and a comfort with the knee standpoint).

Due to type of injuries, I have more faith in AG coming back stronger and ready. He can work on his footwork and conditioning from the waste down. He's a bulldog type and a fighter.
Larrier on the other hand will be forced to work on upper body only. In basketball, your legs are so important and coming off an injury as his, it will take much time to regain strength and without being at full strength there is a good chance that he will play hesitant. The type of player he is, that's not good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom