SMU Athletic Director Relieved of Duty | The Boneyard

SMU Athletic Director Relieved of Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
“We thank Steve for his contributions to SMU athletics,” Turner said."While we both are committed to the support of our student-athletes and coaches, a unified effort is required for future progress in our athletics programs.”

http://espn.go.com/dallas/story/_/i...gs-fire-ad-steve-orsini-says-change-necessary

I guarantee that all the "sources" that "say" in Dallas - FW are wondering WTF just happened.

Reaction Score
I'll say so. There aren't many AD's out there who have done a better job than this guy has. That football program went from roadkill to something that could be really really good in the Big East. I didn't really think the Larry Brown hire was too hot, but if he actually tries it could work out or em.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think a commentor nails it, he must have gotten on the wrong side of a big booster.

Reaction Score
Probably has to do with retaining June Jones for the long term.

Reaction Score
Probably has to do with retaining June Jones for the long term.

After Ford fired CEO Lee Iacocca (the developer of the Mustang and responsible for a general company resurgence), Henry Ford Jr. (or the third, maybe) was asked why he had fired the best manager in the auto industry? His answer: "I just don't like the guy."

Maybe that's all this is.

Reaction Score
My opinion is that whatever the reason was he was fired, has nothing to do with the timing and release of information about the firing, and that Mr. Orsini, who's name I didn't know before yesterday is going to be just fine in the future, as will SMU.

..... and I continue to be very happy about what I'm observing from the Big East conference, and my conclusionsI'm drawing based on those observations.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My opinion is that whatever the reason was he was fired, has nothing to do with the timing and release of information about the firing, and that Mr. Orsini, who's name I didn't know before yesterday is going to be just fine in the future, as will SMU.

..... and I continue to be very happy about what I'm observing from the Big East conference, and my conclusionsI'm drawing based on those observations.

So even though you don't know who his is, what he did or how he did it you are encouraged by his firing. Makes sense.

Reaction Score
Carl, I'm thinking your "happy" is very different than the majority of boneyarder's "happy" scenario, but then again you may have more realistic and therefore lesser expectations than me and others.

Reaction Score
Carl, I'm thinking your "happy" is very different than the majority of boneyarder's "happy" scenario, but then again you may have more realistic and therefore lesser expectations than me and others.
Sure, but it was more concise and insightful than most messages. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I read a report somewhere, one of the Dallas area papers perhaps, that the Athletic Department at SMU was running significantly over budget and that contributed to his demise. Whether that is correct or not, I am not certain, but it would make sense (unless you're AD at Rutgers, in which case it is almost required to go deep into debt).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom