Smith: 6 that have exceeded expectations, 6 that have fallen short | The Boneyard

Smith: 6 that have exceeded expectations, 6 that have fallen short

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Thought they were spot on, except that I didn't understand the high expectations for Dayton, and I expect Arkansas to fold like a cheap chair.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Lost all creditability when they included Arkansas. Their Strength of Schedule is 314. Instead of picking Arkansas, I would have chosen Indiana as their SOS is 228. However, with that said, I wouldn't have chosen either. I suspect they didn't chose Baylor as over achieving is because of their SOS which is 323.

Reaction Score
Thought they were spot on, except that I didn't understand the high expectations for Dayton, and I expect Arkansas to fold like a cheap chair.
Dayton was a surprise team last year. Based on last season and the fact that they were returning most of their team including Malott and Hoover, I think it was reasonable to expect them to be good. I believe they are really missing Sam Mackay's leadership at the point.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
nice article to read once it was finally posted. I agree that Arkansas is likely to flop.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Dayton was a surprise team last year. Based on last season and the fact that they were returning most of their team including Malott and Hoover, I think it was reasonable to expect them to be good. I believe they are really missing Sam Mackay's leadership at the point.
I didn't follow that closely - I thought last year that they were going to lose a lot of the team, in fact I thought it was Jabir's best shot before rebuilding. Of course, some of the underclassmen could have been really good, as I say I didn't follow that closely. I also didn't think they were a surprise last year, but maybe I'm confused.

When he was at Providence, he recruited and coached a friend's daughter, although she ended up quitting basketball. However, my wife and I have long known that he is a good coach, probably under-supported at Providence.

Reaction Score
I didn't follow that closely - I thought last year that they were going to lose a lot of the team, in fact I thought it was Jabir's best shot before rebuilding. Of course, some of the underclassmen could have been really good, as I say I didn't follow that closely. I also didn't think they were a surprise last year, but maybe I'm confused.

When he was at Providence, he recruited and coached a friend's daughter, although she ended up quitting basketball. However, my wife and I have long known that he is a good coach, probably under-supported at Providence.
I went to Dayton, so I follow them. They are a young team - only one senior, but Malott is their only McDonald's AA and Hoover was their best player last year. They also had Amber Deane, who was the A10 rookie of the year. Last year was their first ever A10 championship. They had 3 seniors who graduated, but a very solid base coming back and a nice incoming freshman class. I don't know that they were a huge surprise last season, but I don't think anyone expected them to win as many games as they did as Mackay was a question mark. She only started as a senior as she had some issues with playing the way Jabir wanted, but IMO, she was their heart and soul last year.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Hard to call Cal underachieving, with what they lost and what they have lost since....

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
IHowever, my wife and I have long known that [Jim Jabir] is a good coach, probably under-supported at Providence.
That's very tactfully put. The current administration doesn't seem to give a rat's patootie about womens' hoops, a real shame as Providence was a power years ago.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Arkansas has not played any ranked teams so far. The play South Carolina on Thursday.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Did OU really underachieve?? Yea, 4 losses but they lost to Duke and Louisville. Marist is always tough and UCLA( can't explain that one).

They still may assume the top of the BIG12 as the other teams haven't really played any tough games.

Conference games should be eye opening for a lot of teams that have played an easier schedule!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom