OT: - Sleeper Sofa vs Murphy Bed | The Boneyard

OT: Sleeper Sofa vs Murphy Bed

Reaction Score
Still remodeling (year 3- alas)

Want guest space for occasional overnight guests, which is rare, trying to decide about either a Murphy bed or a sleeper sofa. The sleeper sofa would be easier/entail less construction, but are any of them actually comfortable for sleeping? If people have tried a Murphy bed, any recommendations (or recommendations for comfortable sleeper sofas too)? Are there Murphy beds with included storage space maybe to the sides?

Thanks!

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Still remodeling (year 3- alas)

Want guest space for occasional overnight guests, which is rare, trying to decide about either a Murphy bed or a sleeper sofa. The sleeper sofa would be easier/entail less construction, but are any of them actually comfortable for sleeping? If people have tried a Murphy bed, any recommendations (or recommendations for comfortable sleeper sofas too)? Are there Murphy beds with included storage space maybe to the sides?

Thanks!
Fair Haven Woodworks makes a sleeper sofa that is expensive but very comfortable memory foam.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The only times I have ever slept on a Murphy bed have been at nice hotels that had them. I have never seen one in a house but I am sure many apartments have them.

When we put on an addition several years ago we wanted the space to double as a guest room when needed; I did a lot of research then and settled on an American Leather sleeper sofa, which has been great. Guests love it, the kids love it and Mrs. 8893 and I both find it more than comfortable enough to sleep on several times a year for various reasons. The company has also been exceptional with warranty service, which we required once for the sofa with a freak accident that ripped the upholstery, and once with my recliner from the same company that had a minor mechanical issue, which they remedied without issue. They are not cheap, but they are very good.

We got ours from Fair Haven Furniture, which is a great store owned by great people who provide excellent service.

Reaction Score
We have a Murphy bed with a high quality queen mattress. It also has built in reading lights. It was expensive but I've gotten no complaints and it looks great.

Reaction Score
The other answers make a lot of sense, are pricier, and give you both a sofa and a bed and accommodate a guest couple.

This may not be the answer you are expecting, but if you have just one guest, a recliner, if you already have one, will serve the purpose.

I have had some shoulder problems and often sleep on the Lazy Boy or whatever the brand is, and get a very good night's rest. The near zero gravity position works well for me. There is enough room to actually side sleep besides just reclining backwards. I don't need a pillow what with the softness of the recliner.

I hate to admit this, but I recently bought an expensive adjustable bed and still have difficulty sleeping on it even after experimenting with all the head and leg adjustments offered, but maybe it is my age and other factors I am trying to figure out.

Just my two cents or two lira or two yen, or whatever currency my answer is worth.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
We have a small house. Tiny, even. But from way before Tiny Houses were a thing. But because of that, we have not only a convertible sofa (a horrid sleeping experience and only passable as a sofa) and a Castro convertible ottoman, that opens into a single bed. The latter has been much better as a sleeping option than the convertible sofa, and as far as its utility as an ottoman -- no one ever sits on an ottoman for very long.
Not sure what we're going to do with that ottoman when we move next month, after 54 years in our Tiny House.

Reaction Score
I’ll probably look on line for recommendations, but if anyone has gotten a Murphy bed, what kind did you get, how’s it working out for you? Is there a place in New England to see some real ones?

Reaction Score
I’ll probably look on line for recommendations, but if anyone has gotten a Murphy bed, what kind did you get, how’s it working out for you? Is there a place in New England to see some real ones?
Klotee Farms in Ellington sells Murphy Beds. There are several places in Fairfield County as well.

Reaction Score
Unless they improved Sleeper sofa’s are fine for a night but anything longer and it will get painful. Mattresses tend to be thin and after a few nights you can feel the springs .
The thickness and quality of the mattress and how it’s going to be used long term or short term would determine what I would buy.
Murphy Beds can be pretty pricy though we looked into one for our office/den . But it would be used so infrequently it wasn’t worth it.
Actually we have a large guest room
However if it’s been more than a couple visiting .
We just use a queen blow up mattress in the Den.
The high end ones are more comfortable than s couch.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Re the sleeper sofas, I agree with the conventional wisdom that most are uncomfortable as both couches and beds; the American Leather Comfort Sleepers are exactly the opposite. Very comfortable as both, and also a wide variety of fabrics and styles to customize to your place.

The difference between their bed and others is that there are no springs or bars on the American Leather bed. It folds out to a platform bed, so essentially the same as a Murphy bed once extended. And the mattress is a memory foam mattress that is plenty supportive.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Sofa beds, by and large, are neither comfortable sofas, nor comfortable le beds (some extre.ely high end models are moderately comfortable).

Murphy beds, IMHO, are simply modified platform beds. A comfy mattress and they are excellent for sleeping. When not in use, they take something like 6" to 8" off of the dimensions of the room, and otherwise have no negatives, imho.

Reaction Score
Wife and I installed a Murphy bed from Bedder Way I think which takes a real 10-11 inch mattress. Sleepers cant give you that. Guests have said it's very comfortable. Not inexpensive but it takes little room and goes up and down very easy. I'm a fan.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If you don’t need a sofa get a Murphy Bed. If you need a sofa and a bed get an American Leather Comfort Sleeper.

Reaction Score
Today I learned that Murphy beds are still a thing.
I’m in an over 55 community where homes are typically 2 bedroom and a den .
Adding a Murphy bed to the Den is popular for when your company is more than just one couple.Living in a mild climate on a golf course can draw a lot of visitors in the winter.
We use a queen air mattress for overflow. but a Murphy Bed can double as a book case or a storage unit when not in use. Unless you look closely no one would know it was a bed. They are pricey but what isn’t.

Reaction Score
I’m in an over 55 community where homes are typically 2 bedroom and a den .
Adding a Murphy bed to the Den is popular for when your company is more than just one couple.Living in a mild climate on a golf course can draw a lot of visitors in the winter.
We use a queen air mattress for overflow. but a Murphy Bed can double as a book case or a storage unit when not in use. Unless you look closely no one would know it was a bed. They are pricey but what isn’t.
Yup. Bedder Way has many kinds with and without bookshelves. Looks very good IMO. I had a plain white cabinet one that ran $2200 uninstalled, no mattress included. It is in a den mistly used as a computer desk area.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I’ve installed 3 Murphy beds now and have had numerous sleeper sofas. The Wilding Murphy beds with a tempurpedic mattress is one of the best sleeps I have had. We did have a Crate and barrel American Leather sleep sofa with a tempupedic mattress that was also real comfy

Reaction Score
We have a small house. Tiny, even. But from way before Tiny Houses were a thing. But because of that, we have not only a convertible sofa (a horrid sleeping experience and only passable as a sofa) and a Castro convertible ottoman, that opens into a single bed. The latter has been much better as a sleeping option than the convertible sofa, and as far as its utility as an ottoman -- no one ever sits on an ottoman for very long.
Not sure what we're going to do with that ottoman when we move next month, after 54 years in our Tiny House.
I have a tiny house too. A lake house built in the late 30s early 40s. I feel your pain. Although, bigger houses just mean you have more stuff to vacuum and mop.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Rich this summer we bought a 954 sq ft half cape in MA to be close to my grandkids when we are not in FL. I still have an office but it is a he shed. Everything in this house has to have at least 2 functions and our biggest problem right now is where to put the TV which currently sits on the dining room table. We are headed to FL though so that problem won't get solved until next spring. Any ideas you or 80s might have I'd love to hear. BTW first project this fall for our condo in FL is installing a Murphy bed!

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
This thread is very timely, as we are just finishing renovations on what will be a den/guest room. The room happens to have large windows and I don’t think we have the wall space in there for a Murphy bed.

I will be checking out the American Leather sleepers - has anyone had experience with La-Z Boy sleeper sofas? I have heard good things about those as well.

Reaction Score
this showed up in one of the ads in this thread. Looks really interesting. Anyone have any experience with Breda horizontal in line Murphy beds

Breda bed

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
This thread is very timely, as we are just finishing renovations on what will be a den/guest room. The room happens to have large windows and I don’t think we have the wall space in there for a Murphy bed.

I will be checking out the American Leather sleepers - has anyone had experience with La-Z Boy sleeper sofas? I have heard good things about those as well.
Make sure the American Leather has the tempurpedic mattress. I don't have any experience with La-Z-Boy mattresses but have enjoyed a few naps in their chairs over the years!!

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I have a tiny house too. A lake house built in the late 30s early 40s. I feel your pain. Although, bigger houses just mean you have more stuff to vacuum and mop.
Mine started out as a summer cottage in the 30s, and was made into a residence in the mid-40s. We bought it from the grand-nephew of the original resident. He was a foreman in a construction crew and did a lot of exceedingly poor quality renovation to it. We made it a tinier bit bigger by enclosing the front porch and eventually making it part of the kitchen. Showing it, the thing we heard the most was "the rooms are too small". Everybody owns big furniture these day, I guess. Eventually, we found a buyer. hope I never have to go through that again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom