Singular focus on Caitlin Clark brings risk, reward | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Singular focus on Caitlin Clark brings risk, reward

Matthew1589

Iowa Hawkeye Grad and Fan
Reaction Score
Personally, though I didn't do it, I don't have a problem with a little profanity and a little trash talk but "Shut the duck*k up" is a bit much. My problem is more with how CC is portrayed by the media and her PR team, and with the double standard. CC is human just like the rest of 'em but the media and her PR team have set her up as something she's not. If Angel Reese or a S. Carolina player had said the same thing, we'd be hearing a different tune. Has the video been erased yet? Can the public still access it? I wouldn't be surprised if it disappeared.
Caitlin is not being portrayed as something she isn't. She's been asked at a few post game pressers over her time at Iowa about something she said or did on the court. She owns up to it, doesn't make excuses, nor does she care if it's out there because she knows she makes mistakes and has learned from them too. Someone else already posted this but I'll add too it, but who is she? Academic All-American 3.7 GPA, community volunteer, visits Stead Family Children's Hospital weekly, has become a good teammate & leader (wasn't always the case), has her teammates backs & gives them gifts (Nike shoes & gear, rented a yacht for the team on the summer trip), nobody outworks her, is the ultimate competitor, takes time to sign as many autographs as possible for girls & boys at home/away/neutral court games, often gives her game shoes to little girls as she's leaving the court. That's a snippet of who Caitlin Clark is.

Reaction Score
But the ways she’s captured the attention of the nation it doesn’t matter. She’ll forever be the greatest of all time in women’s basketball imo and to many others. Someone new might surpass her eventually but like her or not she’s the Tom Brady/Serena Williams/Simone Biles of our sport.
That can be someone’s opinion but it doesn’t make it true. She’s not on their levels.

Reaction Score
But the ways she’s captured the attention of the nation it doesn’t matter. She’ll forever be the greatest of all time in women’s basketball imo and to many others. Someone new might surpass her eventually but like her or not she’s the Tom Brady/Serena Williams/Simone Biles of our sport.
You are correct. And as much as I’m tired of it, it’s been good for WBB and we need to try to capture the attention and. Keep some of it. MiLaysia Fulwiley is going to be one to watch. She’s different and exciting and the National NIL brands are starting to roll her way. Hopefully one of the youngsters will capture the attention of the media so we can keep the train rolling.

Reaction Score
A lot of chatter about preferential officiating for Iowa vs WVU, speculation to make sure she is still playing in the tournament, keep the ratings up?

Reaction Score
Speaking of singular focus on CC, why has the "Shut the duck*k up!" post and video disappeared?

Reaction Score
That can be someone’s opinion but it doesn’t make it true. She’s not on their levels.
Thank you.

Caitlin can be one of the greatest based on impact/individual achievements, but to be in that "greatest ever" with those athletes (Woods, Brady, Biles, Williams), she needs to bring the championships like Tiger, Tom, Simone, and Serena do/did.

16754461789752.jpg

Insert Serena Williams and her 23 Grand Slam titles image here (reached image limit).

Insert Tiger Woods and his green jackets here (reached image limit).

simonemedals.jpg

Titles do matter.

Caitlin is 22, so she has time to get there. But she ain't there yet.

Reaction Score
A lot of chatter about preferential officiating for Iowa vs WVU, speculation to make sure she is still playing in the tournament, keep the ratings up?
As a Gamecocks fan who had to face this same "preferential" treatment excuse against Boston and our team in general in years past, I personally see this as an excuse made by those who dislike the Iowa program and/or Caitlin Clark. I don't put much stock into it and it just seems like an attempt to discredit the program. I think the evidence points to WV being a more aggressive team that is prone to foul based on their defensive style, thus the foul disparity.

Reaction Score
As a Gamecocks fan who had to face this same "preferential" treatment excuse against Boston and our team in general in years past, I personally see this as an excuse made by those who dislike the Iowa program and/or Caitlin Clark. I don't put much stock into it and it just seems like an attempt to discredit the program. I think the evidence points to WV being a more aggressive team that is prone to foul based on their defensive style, thus the foul disparity.
Honestly, WV didn't get called for enough fouls. They play a rough brand of basketball and were deserving of the fouls they did pick up.

Reaction Score
Personally, though I didn't do it, I don't have a problem with a little profanity and a little trash talk but "Shut the duck*k up" is a bit much. My problem is more with how CC is portrayed by the media and her PR team, and with the double standard. CC is human just like the rest of 'em but the media and her PR team have set her up as something she's not. If Angel Reese or a S. Carolina player had said the same thing, we'd be hearing a different tune. Has the video been erased yet? Can the public still access it? I wouldn't be surprised if it disappeared.
Technically, she said "Stand the Duck up" to the crowd and we complied. She is like a Maestro with the crowd. The hype video before each game was a collaboration between the basketball team and the school of music. Hard to describe but I've never seen a video get the fans so jacked up before.

Reaction Score
In all the years of officiating in all the different sports, has an official EVER come out and said 'higher ups told me to favor team X?"

This is alleged about 1000x a year, and yet there has not been a single snitch, more content with his/her meager salary than the massive payday that a tell-all interview would generate.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
In all the years of officiating in all the different sports, has an official EVER come out and said 'higher ups told me to favor team X?"

This is alleged about 1000x a year, and yet there has not been a single snitch, more content with his/her meager salary than the massive payday that a tell-all interview would generate.
Tim Donaghy said as much about the controversial Kings-Lakers Western Conference Finals series from years back. Yeah he was disgraced and discredited, but Stern and the whole NBA was crooked. I believe Donaghy a lot more than I believe Stern.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom