Single Most Important Factor to a Deep Run | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Single Most Important Factor to a Deep Run

Reaction Score
OK, it’s simpler than anything listed so far. Just get them psychologically to play loose, without fear or tightness. Do we have a sports psychologist prepping the team? It’s all state of mind because we have the talent, just need the defensive effort and that looseness when shooting.

Reaction Score
My first thought is that we have to be able to get off our schneid of not being able to win a close game, but that's more of an effect than a cause.

While a lot of other things come to mind, the most obvious answer is the simple one. Donovan Clingan played the first 40% of the season as if he was the next Zach Eddy, but way ahead of where Eddy was as a frosh. When a ball came within his wingspan in the paint, he caught it and did something positive with it. He was unbelievably dominant. Which, rightfully, led to the debate as to whether him being on the floor was more valuable than having Sanogo on the floor, and if that didn't mean they had to have minutes on the floor together. Then DC disappeared in conference play. Many on here have attributed that to Big East refs not being willing to call fouls. I don't doubt that that has happened, or that it's relevant, but I don't think that's the primary cause. To me, he no longer is a vacuum cleaner catching every catchable ball in his area. I don't understand why -- whether it was hitting a freshman big wall, confidence shattered, being told he wasn't going to keep taking Sanogo's minutes or something else -- but my eyes tell me that, refs aside, he is not the same player.

When DC was the dominant DC, we were literally as good as anyone in the country. While we've been a very good team since having hit bottom in late January, we're not at that level. The 4 seed line is roughly how we've played the last month and a half -- maybe a little generous. We should get to the Sweet 16, and we certainly could get to Houston, without DC reverting to who he was in November and December. But if there is one key to a deep run, it's the early season DC coming back to us. Because that's the difference between a really good team that could do something special, and a great team that should do something special.
I think Sanogo, AJ and Hawk will give us consistent performances. The wild card here are our transfers. When they are on, these transfers, all of them, provide us with such energy, it is palpable. That makes us hard to guard over 40 minutes.

Reaction Score
Keep our turnovers to 12 or less and hit our free throws. We will probably have some games where our shooting is off but we are still good enough to win a lot of games if we don’t make a lot of mistakes.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Shooting 80% + from the free throw line

Reaction Score
Most important thing? Well can we all agree nearly all teams have to Play from behind at some point In the tournament. We don’t have a record of overcoming to many deficits to win games - even small ones.

To do this, we will need to ADJUST when the game calls for it.

What does this mean?

Protect the ball - No more careless turnovers. Need an example, don’t throw ball to someone on his way off court :). Don’t try and squeeze passes inside and underestimate the other teams defense. If the pass is there go for it but don’t throw 50/50 passes in tight games.

Make free throws.

Rise to the moment and play with discipline and together as a unit when we run plays at the end of the game. Don’t settle for wild outside shots and Dannny at the very least have poeple Like Clingan under the rim at end of game.

A Put back counts for 2 pts the last time I checked. But we can’t get them if no one is under the rim!

So part of what I suggest we need to do is from player perspective but the other is coaching as well.

Reaction Score
Serious question. Is there a team shrink? I think this teams biggest problem is all in their head.

Reaction Score
Yes, which is why Hawkins playing like a lottery pick is key to making a run. If he played even slightly better against Marquette we win
It's also one game. I think we'd all say he's been pretty darn good this year, even if two of the last three games he's shot poorly.

Reaction Score
Serious question. Is there a team shrink? I think this teams biggest problem is all in their head.
oddly enough I think it is, too. Which is why this team is so good as front runners, but lose their composure when things go wrong and the pressure rises.

Reaction Score
My first thought is that we have to be able to get off our schneid of not being able to win a close game, but that's more of an effect than a cause.

While a lot of other things come to mind, the most obvious answer is the simple one. Donovan Clingan played the first 40% of the season as if he was the next Zach Eddy, but way ahead of where Eddy was as a frosh. When a ball came within his wingspan in the paint, he caught it and did something positive with it. He was unbelievably dominant. Which, rightfully, led to the debate as to whether him being on the floor was more valuable than having Sanogo on the floor, and if that didn't mean they had to have minutes on the floor together. Then DC disappeared in conference play. Many on here have attributed that to Big East refs not being willing to call fouls. I don't doubt that that has happened, or that it's relevant, but I don't think that's the primary cause. To me, he no longer is a vacuum cleaner catching every catchable ball in his area. I don't understand why -- whether it was hitting a freshman big wall, confidence shattered, being told he wasn't going to keep taking Sanogo's minutes or something else -- but my eyes tell me that, refs aside, he is not the same player.

When DC was the dominant DC, we were literally as good as anyone in the country. While we've been a very good team since having hit bottom in late January, we're not at that level. The 4 seed line is roughly how we've played the last month and a half -- maybe a little generous. We should get to the Sweet 16, and we certainly could get to Houston, without DC reverting to who he was in November and December. But if there is one key to a deep run, it's the early season DC coming back to us. Because that's the difference between a really good team that could do something special, and a great team that should do something special.
I agree with you Donovan is the key. However, Donovan was dominant as recently as last game. He was +8 or +10 in a 2 point contest. He brought us back from an 8 point dificit, totally changed the momentum. After the comeback, he was taken out and spent the remainder of the game on the bench. So your question needs to be asked in that context. He played just 10 minutes.

I think he is fine, but needs to be given some runway minutes and we need to stop thinking of Adama and Donovan as mutually exclusive. The last time I checked Donovan was shooting about 65% from the field. 2 of every 3 shots go in. Needs to work on his FT.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The answer is actually turnovers, with fouls a close second.

I’m hoping for fewer passes to the opponent and a fair whistle now that we’re away from the Big East rat bag officials.
As a team I agree those are the two metrics holding us back and if they call fouls on our opponents outside the Big East, will someone other than Hawkins and Karaban consistently make foul shots?

Reaction Score
No, I meant what I said. Our best road win during that period was Nova. Our best neutral win was a reeling Providence. We beat good teams at home, and won games impressively, but if you want to be a 1 or 2 seed you've got to beat good teams on the road.

Well then you're wrong, the last month and a half we played like one of the best teams in the country. This is since February 1

View attachment 85075
This was my point in my reply. We been playing like a 1 seed since Feb 1st.

Reaction Score
The last month and a half you think we played like a 4 seed? Hilarious. We went 9-2 with the 2 losses - at Creighton by 3 (foot online game) and at MSG to a top 6 Marquette team by 2. We pounded Marquette and Providence twice. Blew our Nova at Nova. We def played more like a 2 seed the last month a a half. I think you meant January.
Add in the fact in that creighton game Jackson was brutal down stretch and against Marquette (who shot thier brains out first 25 mins) we lost by 2 with hawk having his worst game of career and Ajax barely playing. I think we played like a 1/2

Reaction Score
Luck. It seems like every championship team has at least one thing they don't deserve go right for it somewhere along the way. And it's better early. Like something inexplicably bouncing your way in a 2nd round game against a pesky mid major or mediocre P6 team that is hanging in there and making you miserable.

Reaction Score
No, I meant what I said. Our best road win during that period was Nova. Our best neutral win was a reeling Providence. We beat good teams at home, and won games impressively, but if you want to be a 1 or 2 seed you've got to beat good teams on the road.
Not that I completely disagree with you but… since 2/1 in road games:

Alabama went 3-2 on the road, including an OT win over 11-21 South Carolina. Lost to both tournament-bound teams they played.

Kansas went 3-2 (1-2 against tourney teams)

Purdue went 1-3 (0-3 vs tourney)

Houston went 5-0 (1-0 to tourney teams) but… AAC

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's defense. We've been giving up too many 40 point halves. Keep opponents under 70 and we'll win most games.

Reaction Score
Dominating the offensive boards and getting easy offensive put backs. Demoralizes the defense and empowers the scoring team. We are great on the offensive boards. We will win handily if we do so against Iona

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Not that I completely disagree with you but… since 2/1 in road games:

Alabama went 3-2 on the road, including an OT win over 11-21 South Carolina. Lost to both tournament-bound teams they played.

Kansas went 3-2 (1-2 against tourney teams)

Purdue went 1-3 (0-3 vs tourney)

Houston went 5-0 (1-0 to tourney teams) but… AAC
I understand these stats but as of 2/1 everybody has played everybody in the conference at least once not counting the league tournaments. Second chances are different than initial meetings.

Reaction Score
make threes and foul shots.

For this team, do not let the opponent get in the bonus early....we do that so much, especially in the second half

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom