Simple Fix | The Boneyard

Simple Fix

Reaction Score
Whaley and Jackson were 3 for 15 or 20% FG. Polley and Gaffney were a combine 4 for 7 or 57%. We need to change the starting lineup, good coaches can really exploit our lack of offense in the first half. I thought Gaffney would have had a big night.

Reaction Score
Goes without saying, but Hurley likes the current lineup because it’s the best defensive lineup and he’s comfortable with defensive, knock down, drag it out basketball games… we have the ability to score more points I’m just not sure that’s the type of game Hurley is comfortable coaching in

Reaction Score
Another game where Sanogo misses so many shots up close. 6-16. Question: who is the coach for the big men? IMHO sanogo goes up too weak that results in those misses at the rim. Is Leito, Dickman or Vaughn around? He needs to increase his efficiency to break thru

Reaction Score
Whaley and Jackson were 3 for 15 or 20% FG. Polley and Gaffney were a combine 4 for 7 or 57%. We need to change the starting lineup, good coaches can really exploit our lack of offense in the first half. I thought Gaffney would have had a big night.
Not sure if Gaff is the answer but agree that you can’t have two guys on the court for extended stretches who are not consistent, legitimate threats in the half court (other than cleaning up the garbage on the glass). McDermott sags a second defender to clog the paint and rolls the dice with AJ, Whaley, or both on the perimeter. It’s just smart strategy.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Everything that could have gone wrong in a game went wrong, by players and coaches, and they lost by 2 on the road to a team that acted like they needed it more than UConn (so it was being said but I don't buy it).
UConn came back from being down by 16 and finally tied it up only to succumb to too many brain farts
A couple of players need to reach down inside and try to figure out why they disappeared or reacted the way they did down the stretch at the end of the game.
It's crunch time now - before they head to MSG they have to face a hot DePaul team, a game they can't lose
Coaches and players have to regroup quickly

Reaction Score
whaley and jackson are offensive non-participants. when playing alongside sanogo they are actively detrimental.

their attempts at offense are often laughable (whaley flailing and falling to the ground in an exaggerated fashion after catching the ball in the paint, or any time jackson attempts to shoot).

they are clearly mis-cast in roles that don’t fit. whaley is a backup center, not a power forward. at this stage in his career jackson is a point forward that needs to play in a transition game.

instead, we are playing them alongside a traditional post player. so they inevitably lead to a clogged up paint, and when they do get the ball on the perimeter that are no threat and look to hand it back off immediately.

in my opinion it would have been better to surround sanogo with shooters and hope the defense improved throughout the year. and let jackson & whaley play in a 2nd unit focused on getting up and down the court.

/rant

Reaction Score
why are we so slow to stymie the hot hand on the other team?. How often does the hot hand shift from one player to another in the same game? Frustrating. First it was Kaluma in the first half with his best game, then Kalkbrenner sandwiching Hawkins in the section half with HIS best game of the year.

Reaction Score
Everything that could have gone wrong in a game went wrong, by players and coaches, and they lost by 2 on the road to a team that acted like they needed it more than UConn (so it was being said but I don't buy it).

Almost winning doesn’t excuse the glaringly obvious flaws on display here. I feel like this gets trotted out as a response all the time and it detracts from the discussion of legitimate issues this team has.

Reaction Score
why are we so slow to stymie the hot hand on the other team?. How often does the hot hand shift from one player to another in the same game? Frustrating. First it was Kaluma in the first half with his best game, then Kalkbrenner sandwiching Hawkins in the section half with HIS best game of the year.
I know we love to have stats to back things up. There has got to be a way to quantify the creepily growing number of players (often average guys) having career games against us.It's definitely a thing

Reaction Score
dont know why we werent running plays for Polley at the end of the game
The one where he runs through two screens to the top of the arc? Yeah they knew that one too. I always think polley is gonna drop his shots. Tonight wasn’t gonna happen. The universe set the tempo early. Besides this is the best time to get losing out if the way. Haven’t we learned anything about post season play? Very few teams end the season with a 13-15 games win streak.

Reaction Score
Hey Guys, I know that Hurley has decent offensive plays in his book, usually for after time-outs. But I have come to the conclusion that DH is primarily a defensive coach. He almost never gets the ball back to the guy who is hot. Never. Polley has to really work hard (which he is not equipped to do) to get it on the few occasions per season when he gets hot.

When does Hurley become most animated? Right - after the Huskies have scored off a few helter-skelter, defensive pressure sequences. It's who DH is, how he played for his dad & later at Seton Hall, & how he see's himself & his teams: scrappy, D-first, high energy. Just like his legendary dad & the blue-collar NJ city he grew up in.

But we have all seen too many offensive deficiencies at the end of UConn plays, & games to make us feel that Danny Hurley can lead the right players, to the ball, at the right time, at the right place on the court to win it all - yet. Hurley's gotta make some changes in his approach.

More egregiously, Hurley hasn't recruited one versatile, great, natural outside shooter up to Storrs in his four years there yet. And that makes it so hard for his team at the end of close, 'off' away games like tonight at Creighton, who does recruit great shooters (Villanova, Davidson, Houston, UCLA & Illinois are others). Shooters are what the Huskies sorely need, & have for many years now.

Two things we all noticed at the end of that fantastic old school, BE Villanova game last week were: 1) how calm coach Wright was, even when they were missing their shots & UConn was soaring, & 2) how calm Villanova's great players were with each other as the game progressed. And they kept hitting those outside shots on the road, so calmly.

Why? Because unlike with Hurley and his scant outside shooting team (don't let the stats fool you), Villanova's coach & players had complete confidence in their ability to stay in the game, & with each other. I don't see that with Hurley & this team.

Because Coach Wright always brings in smart, great scorers & shooters. Every year. He is tempermentally more even than Hurley as well. And that provides the confidence they've needed to win two NC's in the last six years. Villanova's swagger begins with recruiting versatile, great shooting players, usually 6'3" - 6'7"who can play all the positions. Notice how often they post up their guards? Look how much former Wildcat Jalen Brunson does it for the Dallas Mav's despite being under-sized.

Danny Hurley must recognize that the name of the game is NOT Isiah Whaley flailing away on full-court, helping defensive pressure. It's Rashad Anderson putting shot after shot into the hole from deep when it counts. Shooting is the name of the game.

Hurley can start by working on Andre' Jackson's terrible "guided" outside shooting form in the off-season. Because?...same old questions apply now with Hurley: Why did '0-6 from 3' AJ have to take that last shot at the top of the key at the end of tonight's game - a complete miss of the rim, right? And...Why didn't Hurley call a play for Cole, Martin or Polley - with options, his only shooters tonight? Answers: Because Hurley needs to change his approach to recruiting, player development & in-game coaching - AND, to fully embrace offense the way a Ricky Pitino does.

Coaches like Wright, McDermott, Izzo & Pitino make Danny Hurley look like a CYO coach by comparison in a tight game.

- Father Demo -

Last edited:

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
whaley and jackson are offensive non-participants. when playing alongside sanogo they are actively detrimental.

their attempts at offense are often laughable (whaley flailing and falling to the ground in an exaggerated fashion after catching the ball in the paint, or any time jackson attempts to shoot).

they are clearly mis-cast in roles that don’t fit. whaley is a backup center, not a power forward. at this stage in his career jackson is a point forward that needs to play in a transition game.

instead, we are playing them alongside a traditional post player. so they inevitably lead to a clogged up paint, and when they do get the ball on the perimeter that are no threat and look to hand it back off immediately.

in my opinion it would have been better to surround sanogo with shooters and hope the defense improved throughout the year. and let jackson & whaley play in a 2nd unit focused on getting up and down the court.

/rant
Whaley is a non participant until he knocks down 15. He is in their for his defense. He scores. Bad night. Jackson on the other hand, commit's the most bonehead turnovers I have ever seen.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
There shouldn’t be any game Andre Jackson has double the 3 point attempts than 2 point attempts. Wouldn’t care about the misses if he was adequate at taking the ball to the rim. He has been showing progress throughout the season with his aggressiveness to at least attempt it though…

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The fixes for this team are anything but simple.

Reaction Score

/rant
I totally agree. You need guys with at least shooting potential in there with Adama. That will help both the shooter and the Big in the post. Too often we put Polley in when Adama is out and then he’s closely guarded. Put him in when their defense is doubling Adama disown low.

We can’t afford games when we score 10 points with 10 minutes left in the first half. We may come back and make it close, but we generally lose those games. Digging out if a hole, the rest of the game.

Gaffney has had some good games at the end of last season. He’s a better shooter than he shows in for brief minutes. There’s are reasons why teams with good coaches don’t guard Whaley and Jackson at the 3 line but guard Gaffney and Polley there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In this game Hurley should have been able to find 3 points for the win.

The dunks kept coming and we never adjusted. Try keeping Sanogo home, go to zone, etc. because what we were doing was not working on the defensive end. How many dunks did K have, 5-6?

the substitutions, or the lack of, on offense in the 2nd half was a head scratcher also. Polley needed more minutes, and you adjust to protect him. Again, no adjustments for what was going on last night. AJ went 0 for 6 from three and committed a huge turn, followed by an out of control drive, and like that we are back to down 5. Yet he is on the floor taking a 3 Towards the end. Even my wife is asking about his shot. I thought Gaff played better than AJ last night.

In my opinion we could have won this game, on a night where Sanogo was having trouble scoring, by making a few minor adjustments.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
End of game? We simply don’t run enough plays for him the entire game. Every game.
It’s a matchups thing. Creighton took Polley away last game too. If you can stay with him off ball Polley is unable to make you pay off the dribble. Creighton gave him very little space for 80 min. Hurley started to play off that over extension using it to get shots for others late. Two for RJ one for AJ. RJ hits one,
Different outcome?

We really missed Hawkins tonight as he is often played with Polley to take advantage of Polley absorbing a good perimeter defender.

Reaction Score
Hey Guys, I know that Hurley has decent offensive plays in his book, usually for after time-outs. But I have come to the conclusion that DH is primarily a defensive coach. He almost never gets the ball back to the guy who is hot. Never. Polley has to really work hard (which he is not equipped to do) to get it on the few occasions per season when he gets hot.

When does Hurley become most animated? Right - after the Huskies have scored off a few helter-skelter, defensive pressure sequences. It's who DH is, how he played for his dad & later at Seton Hall, & how he see's himself & his teams: scrappy, D-first, high energy. Just like his legendary dad & the blue-collar NJ city he grew up in.

But we have all seen too many offensive deficiencies at the end of UConn plays, & games to make us feel that Danny Hurley can lead the right players, to the ball, at the right time, at the right place on the court to win it all - yet. Hurley's gotta make some changes in his approach.

More egregiously, Hurley hasn't recruited one versatile, great, natural outside shooter up to Storrs in his four years there yet. And that makes it so hard for his team at the end of close, 'off' away games like tonight at Creighton, who does recruit great shooters (Villanova, Davidson, Houston, UCLA & Illinois are others). Shooters are what the Huskies sorely need, & have for many years now.

Two things we all noticed at the end of that fantastic old school, BE Villanova game last week were: 1) how calm coach Wright was, even when they were missing their shots & UConn was soaring, & 2) how calm Villanova's great players were with each other as the game progressed. And they kept hitting those outside shots on the road, so calmly.

Why? Because unlike with Hurley and his scant outside shooting team (don't let the stats fool you), Villanova's coach & players had complete confidence in their ability to stay in the game, & with each other. I don't see that with Hurley & this team.

Because Coach Wright always brings in smart, great scorers & shooters. Every year. He is tempermentally more even than Hurley as well. And that provides the confidence they've needed to win two NC's in the last six years. Villanova's swagger begins with recruiting versatile, great shooting players, usually 6'3" - 6'7"who can play all the positions. Notice how often they post up their guards? Look how much former Wildcat Jalen Brunson does it for the Dallas Mav's despite being under-sized.

Danny Hurley must recognize that the name of the game is NOT Isiah Whaley flailing away on full-court, helping defensive pressure. It's Rashad Anderson putting shot after shot into the hole from deep when it counts. Shooting is the name of the game.

Hurley can start by working on Andre' Jackson's terrible "guided" outside shooting form in the off-season. Because?...same old questions apply now with Hurley: Why did '0-6 from 3' AJ have to take that last shot at the top of the key at the end of tonight's game - a complete miss of the rim, right? And...Why didn't Hurley call a play for Cole, Martin or Polley - with options, his only shooters tonight? Answers: Because Hurley needs to change his approach to recruiting, player development & in-game coaching - AND, to fully embrace offense the way a Ricky Pitino does.

Coaches like Wright, McDermott, Izzo & Pitino make Danny Hurley look like a CYO coach by comparison in a tight game.

- Father Demo -
I think Danny must recognize that not everything that makes you successful at Wagner and the URI level makes you successful at UConn’s level. What the competition does and what you need to do is different.
Chief uses Calhoun’s press as an example. He had to adjust against better teams and once he got better talent and played differently.
Of course, Hawkins is an answer too, but he was injured after that screen last night.

Reaction Score
We have to get out of the box quicker. Been like that all season. Hurley won’t do it though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom