Sign of the times: No Vol Loss article -- until now | The Boneyard

Sign of the times: No Vol Loss article -- until now

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
A few years ago, after a UTenn loss the BY would light up with at least a couple of threads related to all of the fascinating elements of that game which needed to be discussed here at great length. But now the Vols can take a tumble and any comments are kind of desultory remarks in a general Sunday games thread and the passion seems to have gone out of even a no-games distant rivalry, replaced by a few snide comments such as "It's Tennessee's only trip to Nashville this year," which is actually a serious thread over on VolNation as the fans there debate who should replace Holly W.

It's a little sad in a way for we nostalgic types, but we've rightly moved on at this point since we may never see them again.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Perhaps - but perhaps not. I know there are many UCONN fans who take great delight in seeing Tennessee lose. However, I also realized (from a different thread) that there are fans who dislike/hate ND more than Tennessee, and others who feel sorry for Tennessee at this point. I'm sure LVol fans do not want our pity, as that may be the ultimate insult to them, but for many of us, Tennessee is still our most hated rival, even if we don't play them any more.

I do get that for a competition to be a "rivalry", the teams actually have to play on occasion. But UCONN and Tennessee have among the best attendance, most active fan base forums, and traditionally the best 2 programs in WCBB by a very wide margin. It's also highly possible that UCONN won't face Tennessee this year unless Tenn is a 2 or 3 seed in UCONN's bracket. I seriously don't see them making it to the final 4 as of now. Things could change but...

Anyway, those of us who took great delight in Tennessee's loss got our freak on other ways. I texted, and spoke with, several other UCONN fans after the loss, and I'm sure other Tennessee "haters" did likewise. Don't be fooled by the lack of threads on their loss! ;)

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Anyway, those of us who took great delight in Tennessee's loss got our freak on other ways. I texted, and spoke with, several other UCONN fans after the loss, and I'm sure other Tennessee "haters" did likewise. Don't be fooled by the lack of threads on their loss! ;)
So you've been holding out on us, ES? Sneaking texts behind our back? Shame on you!

C'mon, let that deep-seated bile flow free out in the open and let's get back to remembering those nasty gloats that used be promenaded on the Summitt after a UConn loss. From what I understand, rejuvenation is right around the corner for the Vols as soon as a Summitt is back in charge in Knoxville.

Reaction Score
A few years ago, after a UTenn loss the BY would light up with at least a couple of threads related to all of the fascinating elements of that game which needed to be discussed here at great length. But now the Vols can take a tumble and any comments are kind of desultory remarks in a general Sunday games thread and the passion seems to have gone out of even a no-games distant rivalry, replaced by a few snide comments such as "It's Tennessee's only trip to Nashville this year," which is actually a serious thread over on VolNation as the fans there debate who should replace Holly W.

It's a little sad in a way for we nostalgic types, but we've rightly moved on at this point since we may never see them again.

Well, Dobbsy, I hate to admit it, but I do take great delight in a Vol loss. I feel for the players, every loss hits every kid hard, but I am having a hard time getting past all the crap of the end of Pat's tenure. The innuendo and actual complaints were malicious and so far out there, I still resent it all. A lot.

BTW, Doggy are you off the FBI's 10 most wanted yet?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Margo's video after Vandy loss.

Didn't see that Margo's video was posted in the thread about Sunday's game. Sorry

Last edited:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Well, Dobbsy, I hate to admit it, but I do take great delight in a Vol loss. I feel for the players, every loss hits every kid hard, but I am having a hard time getting past all the crap of the end of Pat's tenure. The innuendo and actual complaints were malicious and so far out there, I still resent it all. A lot.

BTW, Doggy are you off the FBI's 10 most wanted yet?
Hey, UConn needs someone in the top 10, so it may as well be doggy d. When the fans get soft like the Vols group on VolNation, other teams stop fearing that team and soon some Dores are slamming on you and making life miserable. I think we should start spreading rumors that dd gave free skittles to Stewie when she was in HS to make her sign up for Storrs.

Oh, and BTW, it appears that only 50% of Vol fans now believe that recent losses should be blamed on the refs or that they have a vendetta against UTenn, so things are definitely changing. Some fans even said that a certain star post player picked up a technical foul and FOed out with 9 1/2 minutes to play because she dropped bomb on the ref. That is not something that would have been said in the past about upstanding Lady Vol players.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Margo's video after Vandy loss.

Margo is great. "It does not get any easier!"

UConn needs a fiery video analyst like that to get the Husky fans fired up and out of their post-blowout malaises.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Perhaps - but perhaps not. I know there are many UCONN fans who take great delight in seeing Tennessee lose. However, I also realized (from a different thread) that there are fans who dislike/hate ND more than Tennessee, and others who feel sorry for Tennessee at this point. I'm sure LVol fans do not want our pity, as that may be the ultimate insult to them, but for many of us, Tennessee is still our most hated rival, even if we don't play them any more.

I do get that for a competition to be a "rivalry", the teams actually have to play on occasion. But UCONN and Tennessee have among the best attendance, most active fan base forums, and traditionally the best 2 programs in WCBB by a very wide margin. It's also highly possible that UCONN won't face Tennessee this year unless Tenn is a 2 or 3 seed in UCONN's bracket. I seriously don't see them making it to the final 4 as of now. Things could change but...

Tennessee may never be replaced as our most hated women's hoops rival. ND can never be replaced as the most hated institution - at least so far as it's arrogant sports attitude goes. They can't lose enough for my taste and if it has to be UT's women to do it, more power to them. Then they can both lose the rest of their games:D

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Every now and again I will take a peek over at Orange Land to see if there is anything to learn. I only looked at the A'ja thread where the discussion was largely about how much Geno is a cheater and how sick they will be if she comes to Storrs. So much more of the same and not worth looking at again until late March. So it is a little schadenfreude but that is why fan is short for fanatic. Hope they are in UConn's bracket and play in the Great Eight. The matchup would be the Great Eight to play for the Nine.

HGN

Reaction Score
There may not be a lot of talk about UT losses because not many outside Orangeland expect that much from the team this year. UT made some noise early when competition was light and some hopes got raised. Now that the competition is picking up some weight and getting a little heavier , reality is setting in. So no one is talking..... Not even the threads.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
There may not be a lot of talk about UT losses because not many outside Orangeland expect that much from the team this year. UT made some noise early when competition was light and some hopes got raised. Now that the competition is picking up some weight and getting a little heavier , reality is setting in. So no one is talking..... Not even the threads.
That is a change though. Preseason they were ranked #4 and until the LSU and Vandy losses there were some on the BY who said they were a def #2 seed and maybe a #1 if any of the top 4 started having issues. The relatively weak guard play is starting to be exposed more now. Massey has UTenn projected at 23-6 entering the SEC tournament.

Reactions: HGN
Reaction Score
Margo is great. "It does not get any easier!"

UConn needs a fiery video analyst like that to get the Husky fans fired up and out of their post-blowout malaises.

Yes! We need some fiery stemwinders like Margo here. There's one thing the Lady Vols have over the Boneyard.

Reaction Score

Ya know what's especially delicious about the loss to Vandy? The Old Gold were unranked before their matchup with Tennessee!

LOL!!

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I think they will be looking for a new coach in the not too distant future, and I bet they look toward Louisville.

HGN

Reaction Score
That is a change though. Preseason they were ranked #4 and until the LSU and Vandy losses there were some on the BY who said they were a def #2 seed and maybe a #1 if any of the top 4 started having issues. The relatively weak guard play is starting to be exposed more now. Massey has UTenn projected at 23-6 entering the SEC tournament.
I have noted the inconsistent and relative weak guard play as well, so I think you have a point Dobbs.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I have noted the inconsistent and relative weak guard play as well, so I think you have a point Dobbs.
With an offense setup like UTenn's, the guards really need to feed the post. In the five most recent games against real teams (that is, excluding Lipscomb), the Vols have sunk to an average 12 assists a game, far below the 19 apg they were racking up in the first 10 games. Something appears to be breaking down a bit in the backcourt, and there are rumors that the bigs are not happy about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom