Sierra Calhoun Commits to Ohio State --Twitter | The Boneyard

Sierra Calhoun Commits to Ohio State --Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good for her and good for OSU. Be interesting to see how the HC handles her father... But, far enough away where the family can't drive out every time there's a home game.

Reaction Score
I wonder if upright OSU coach Kevin McGuff enticed Sierra Calhoun's dad with an assistant coach's job as he did with Kelsey Mitchell's dad?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
OSU has been the favorite for a few months now. I suspect it is because of Joy Cheek who originally recruited her for Duke. Sierra and family were also looking at the Lady Vols and Rutgers for a little while. I'm surprised it took as long as it did to make the announcement.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Good for her and good for OSU. Be interesting to see how the HC handles her father... But, far enough away where the family can't drive out every time there's a home game.
Maybe OSU will hire the father as an assistant coach, wait they already hired one stage dad by the name of Mitchell!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
St Johns was also one of the schools Sierra considered and it was one of the last ones. OSU was always #1 and all schools were compared against them. OSU probably gives Sierra the best opportunity at winning a National Championship, besides UConn and that door closed a long time ago.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
St Johns was also one of the schools Sierra considered and it was one of the last ones. OSU was always #1 and all schools were compared against them. OSU probably gives Sierra the best opportunity at winning a National Championship, besides UConn and that door closed a long time ago.
I mean this as no criticism to you, but the comment "opportunity to win a NC" is something that IMHO is bandied about way too much.

In the last 7 years, 3 total schools have won NC's - UCONN, Baylor and aTm. Since 1995, 6 schools not named UCONN have won NC's. So in a 20 year time period, UCONN (10), Tennessee (5), Baylor (2), Purdue, ND, Maryland and aTm have all won NC's.

IMHO there are very few teams in WCBB who will win a NC who are not one of the top 2-3 teams in the nation. That means right now, if any kid wants to win a NC, their best bet is UCONN, Notre Dame, and maybe SC, Baylor or Maryland (Tenn is a darkhorse). If you go back to top recruiting classes in the past 3 years (not including Stewie, Mo and Morgan as they were one of the best), VERY few schools have back to back to back really good recruiting classes. Even UCONN, for all its' success, sort of struck out in the class of Chong - just one kid who may not ever be a starter.

But OSU has had only 1 really good class. Texas, maybe 2. Baylor and Tennessee both got huge gifts in big time transfers, and while both are recruiting solid players, neither has landed a true top 5 kid in 2 years.

This coming year I think it will be UCONN, SC and ND. Everyone else will be fighting for the 4th final 4 spot and it could come from about 5-6 other schools. Next year is Sc's best chance. The following year is Tenn's best chance. The problem for them is that UCONN and ND continue to pull in top 10 kids and there's no end if sight. Should UCONN or ND land Cox and/or Walker, the rich will only get richer.

And IMHO the chances of any team who is not one of the uber elite to win a NC is somewhere between slim and none. I realize no coach is going to say "come to Baylor where the best we can hope for is an elite 8 appearance", but the reality is very few schools have the chops to challenge UCONN or ND any time soon...

Reaction Score
Maybe I missed the post where u said all of this earlier.....or did you forget to share it until now after she chose Ohio State.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Lets see...... First Duke Alum Joy Cheek leaves the Duke bench and goes to Ohio State.... next Kianna Holland transfers from Duke to OSU after one semester, now this ....

Im praying for a OSU vs Duke matchup at Cameron in the ACC-Big 10 challenge in 2017...... just so i can witness the post game handshake line in person :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Lets see. First Duke Alum Joy Cheek leaves the Duke bench and goes to Ohio State.... next Kianna Holland transfers from Duke to OSU after one semester, now this ....

Im praying for a OSU vs Duke matchup at Cameron in the ACC-Big 10 challenge in 2017. just so i can witness the post game handshake line in person :rolleyes:

you can add JPM erases Calhoun's stats from Duke's web site

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
speaking of NC in trouble. Makes me second guess my potential interest in a winter place nearby to watch lots of good WBB without dealing with snow. Also, did Ivory Latta read the handwriting on the wall at UNC in her "return" to playing basketball?

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
speaking of NC in trouble. Makes me second guess my potential interest in a winter place nearby to watch lots of good WBB without dealing with snow. Also, did Ivory Latta read the handwriting on the wall at UNC in her "return" to playing basketball?

Giving the breadth and systemic nature of the academic fraud over 18 years, I question your first premise - that Ivory Latta had the requisite literacy skills to read the handwriting on the wall at UNC. :D

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Past History does not necessary indicate what will happen in the Future. OSU is a talented team with a Dynamic Scorer. They had injuries last year and still were in competition to reach the Final Four. OSU without Sierra is a F4 Contender team, add Sierra to the mix and they and they have more depth. I'm not sure if McGuff will be able to sustain their recruiting, but for the next 3 Years they have a talented team that should be F4 Contender. Once you get to the F4 anything can happen.

I mean this as no criticism to you, but the comment "opportunity to win a NC" is something that IMHO is bandied about way too much.

In the last 7 years, 3 total schools have won NC's - UCONN, Baylor and aTm. Since 1995, 6 schools not named UCONN have won NC's. So in a 20 year time period, UCONN (10), Tennessee (5), Baylor (2), Purdue, ND, Maryland and aTm have all won NC's.

IMHO there are very few teams in WCBB who will win a NC who are not one of the top 2-3 teams in the nation. That means right now, if any kid wants to win a NC, their best bet is UCONN, Notre Dame, and maybe SC, Baylor or Maryland (Tenn is a darkhorse). If you go back to top recruiting classes in the past 3 years (not including Stewie, Mo and Morgan as they were one of the best), VERY few schools have back to back to back really good recruiting classes. Even UCONN, for all its' success, sort of struck out in the class of Chong - just one kid who may not ever be a starter.

But OSU has had only 1 really good class. Texas, maybe 2. Baylor and Tennessee both got huge gifts in big time transfers, and while both are recruiting solid players, neither has landed a true top 5 kid in 2 years.

This coming year I think it will be UCONN, SC and ND. Everyone else will be fighting for the 4th final 4 spot and it could come from about 5-6 other schools. Next year is Sc's best chance. The following year is Tenn's best chance. The problem for them is that UCONN and ND continue to pull in top 10 kids and there's no end if sight. Should UCONN or ND land Cox and/or Walker, the rich will only get richer.

And IMHO the chances of any team who is not one of the uber elite to win a NC is somewhere between slim and none. I realize no coach is going to say "come to Baylor where the best we can hope for is an elite 8 appearance", but the reality is very few schools have the chops to challenge UCONN or ND any time soon...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Giving the breadth and systemic nature of the academic fraud over 18 years, I question your first premise - that Ivory Latta had the requisite literacy skills to read the handwriting on the wall at UNC. :D

cold.jpg

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That was cold, even for a Dukie ragging on UNC.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Too good!

Reaction Score
Yowzer , that was cold!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer