Should we stop scheduling FCS opponents? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Should we stop scheduling FCS opponents?

Should we stop scheduling FCS opponents?

• Yes

Votes: 45 49.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 50.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Yes, we need to stop playing FCS schools. Granted it's a nice payday as a home game, but as a season ticket holder I'm tired of paying for lower level schools. I'd much rather see a good MAC team or even a low level P5. We already considered unworthy to schools already in the P5. I think, until we get a seat at the table, we have to do what we can to elevate the program and that includes strength of schedule.

Reaction Score
You're delusional if you think we're going to get any of those teams at home. As someone who has played sports competitively and coached, there is literally nothing wrong with a tune up game. This is the stupidest thing I've read in weeks and I monitor the CR board.
A couple comments here JMick . With all due respect to you as a former player, coach and me being stupid, I will respond. This in a manner that may expose the fact as a player you were content with " I think I am doing my best". As a coach a win over a lesser opponent is a morale builder.
My comment was to someone whining that we had to play Villanova in our opener. What part of your playing, coaching or monitoring some board leave you to believe Nova should not be what you call a tune up game?
This year Nova opens with Pitt .. Villanova.com Villanova Football Official Schedule - Official Athletic Site Official Athletic Site - Football I wonder if Pitt fans will whine about having to play them or simply get it done?
Sorry you missed the Michigan game as many said that would never happen. That and us playing at ND, another many said would never happen, and ohoops we won!
Your intelligence may just need a tune-up on where our school and conference are at right now and what they are trying to achieve. In the mean time I will work on my stupidity by attending games and cheering the team on, regardless of who they play. Much like I did the basketball teams for decades whom many said we would never be considered in the top 25.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
A couple comments here JMick . With all due respect to you as a former player, coach and me being stupid, I will respond. This in a manner that may expose the fact as a player you were content with " I think I am doing my best". As a coach a win over a lesser opponent is a morale builder.
My comment was to someone whining that we had to play Villanova in our opener. What part of your playing, coaching or monitoring some board leave you to believe Nova should not be what you call a tune up game?
This year Nova opens with Pitt .. Villanova.com Villanova Football Official Schedule - Official Athletic Site Official Athletic Site - Football I wonder if Pitt fans will whine about having to play them or simply get it done?
Sorry you missed the Michigan game as many said that would never happen. That and us playing at ND, another many said would never happen, and ohoops we won!
Your intelligence may just need a tune-up on where our school and conference are at right now and what they are trying to achieve. In the mean time I will work on my stupidity by attending games and cheering the team on, regardless of who they play. Much like I did the basketball teams for decades whom many said we would never be considered in the top 25.

There's more to looking at the name on the schedule, seeing it's an FCS squad, and marking it as a tune up game. Villanova was ranked in the top 5 in FCS when we played them and had Josh Robertson as QB who was the reigning Walter Peyton Award winner. Games like that are incredibly difficult because they're lose-lose. Win and no one cares because everyone just says oh it's an FCS school or lose and screw up your momentum for the whole season. Plenty of people were talking about this last season. If we schedule FCS, we have to be smart about which schools we schedule. More and more FCS teams are beating FBS teams and that is not a good look

Reaction Score
If Alabama can get away with it and still make the 4 team playoff then UConn should be able to schedule a cupcake game. The only difference I would suggest is make that game vs a MAC or CUSA team, even a UMass or other FBS independent. Though I've seen enough of Buffalo.

I agree for the most part. Alabama "gets away" with a FCS team as most of the rest of the SEC is considered tough p-5 schedule

The P-5 world considers most of the AAC conference a "cupcake schedule" so we don't need to downgrade our perception by adding a creampuff FCS team.

It would be great to add a top of the heap P-5 team instead, but that may not be possible too often. I'd rather see a "low-mid" level P-5 team as opposed to FCS, or a "strong" G-5 team from another G-5 conference.

Do we want to build a program or keep it mediocre? FCS does not enhance our position in the P-5 world

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
For f--ks sake... Everyone plays a FCS school. It's a free win (or should be), it's an easy home schedule, it makes you money, and it makes getting to a bowl one step easier. Until the FBS outlaws it... schedule away. No one looks down on UConn for scheduling an FCS school, they look down on UConn because we didn't play an 1A/FBS schedule in 1982.

Why this poll is even close is baffling...

Reaction Score
For f--ks sake... Everyone plays a FCS school. It's a free win (or should be), it's an easy home schedule, it makes you money, and it makes getting to a bowl one step easier. Until the FBS outlaws it... schedule away. No one looks down on UConn for scheduling an FCS school, they look down on UConn because we didn't play an 1A/FBS schedule in 1982.

Agreed. Really surprised at the level of stupid on this board.

Reaction Score
...and arrogance. we aren't that far removed from losing to an FCS team once, and a special teams return for a TD away from losing another. We lost to Army.

Take the FCS game every year. I can't believe this is even being discussed. This team was a dumpster fire for a few years. Those of you talking trash about Tulane, have you watched our games against them? We are still a long way from looking at any game on the schedule as an automatic win.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I voted against, because I think we have more to prove than most. I was surprised that everyone was talking about 4 P5 games or losing a home game. There are many FBS schools not in the P5. Schedule MAC schools, MWC schools. FCS schools are usually a losing proposition, you get no credit for beating them and double credit for losing to them.

Reaction Score
I voted against, because I think we have more to prove than most. I was surprised that everyone was talking about 4 P5 games or losing a home game. There are many FBS schools not in the P5. Schedule MAC schools, MWC schools. FCS schools are usually a losing proposition, you get no credit for beating them and double credit for losing to them.

You do get credit, you get a W that counts towards bowl eligibility. Without that W over Villanova last year we don't go bowling. And we beat zero teams outside of our conference other than Army, who might as well be FCS.

Reaction Score
True. Wanna be the best, you gotta beat the best. Better scheduling would definitely draw more national attention to UConn, even despite not being in a P5 conference. Only question is whether this program is remotely ready to handle a stacked schedule like that.

*Still amuses me that even powerhouses like Alabama catch national grief for scheduling cupcake FCS opponents late in the season when everyone else is playing conference rivalry games.

A lot of people fail to consider the fact that the NCAA doesn't allow pre-season scrimmages. Every other level, from High School to the NFL, has scrimmages. The first time the coaches get to see they're players against different color jerseys is opening night, Act I, Scene I, with only intra-team rehearsals. That's probably frightening to many control-freak coaches. `

Reaction Score
A lot of people fail to consider the fact that the NCAA doesn't allow pre-season scrimmages. Every other level, from High School to the NFL, has scrimmages. The first time the coaches get to see they're players against different color jerseys is opening night, Act I, Scene I, with only intra-team rehearsals. That's probably frightening to many control-freak coaches. `

Agreed, but to be fair - their rosters are humongous so it's much easier to scrimmage yourself.

Reaction Score
Pros and cons of scheduling an FCS:

On the one hand, we dramatically increase our chances of +1 win, which makes a successful bowl season much more likely.

On the other hand, we make more money from an extra home game every other year.

So you really do need to look at both sides to this. Personally, I think maximizing your chances of a bowl is the most important factor, so I'd take the FCS game. But maybe you think the extra game and revenue are more important in which case you'd . . . also take the FCS game.

Reaction Score

Firstly, I understand the purpose of FCS games as they presently stand. I'm not talking about doing something like this overnight if something like this does ever happen. But I only come from the standpoint that with the school's present predicament of being affiliated with a G5 conference, with no life boat in sight, the second best thing for UConn to do would be to at least take strength of schedule into more consideration in the near or intermediate future. It would be a reasonable alternative to raising the profile of the program. Again, scheduling FCS schools probably doesn't need to be completely abolished overnight, but bolstering the strength of schedule a bit, perhaps when the program is more stable, is definitely worth considering if conference realignment continues to not work in UConn's favor. Like another poster suggested, maybe scheduling second or lower tier P5 teams where you would normally schedule an FCS squad. Doesn't have to be Oklahoma, Notre Dame and Texas week-to-week by 2019.

I was listening to Dibble and even heard an interviewee suggest FBS teams scrimmaging FCS teams for spring games rather than playing them in the regular season, which I thought was a decent alternative. Either that or college football actually starts playing preseason games. Maybe only two games, starting about mid-August with willing programs, abbreviated quarters, get your starters off the field after the first quarter and get your reserves plenty of playing time the rest of the way. Then coaching staffs can make whatever adjustments they need accordingly.

Of course that'll never happen because of it did, that would just be one more indictment against the "amateurism" mirage.

*And yes, I am aware not just anybody is willing to schedule with UConn at the moment. Especially P5 schools.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
We need to schedule FCS opponents. Especially in Week 1, if possible. I like the idea of a live practice game that lets the kids hit someone wearing a different color uniform for the first time in months and build confidence. Those games that we struggled to win early in the year against Nova and Army really paid off later in the year against ECU and UH. Confidence at the college level is a wonderful thing. Once you have it, good things happen.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Seriously? Is this how you feel about every differing opinion? It makes for a great discussion counterpoint.
I'm one of the stupid people. I think as long as we don't have a seat at the big boy table, we need to do it better than the other G5 teams. Most P5 schools' fans don't consider us P5 worthy, so we need to change the story. You don't get that playing 'Nova. First and foremost we need to win. Part 2 is no FCS. I think we get more out of playing and beating a crappy Kansas than we do playing FCS schools.
Once we get a seat at the table, I'm all for doing what everyone else does. But until that time comes, we need to separate ourselves from the other G5 schools vying for spots in the P5.

Reaction Score
I would say as the program improves so should the strength of schedule. As of right now your still looking at 5 losing seasons in a row, the presumed starting QB is nursing a broken wrist(not good if your a QB) and the young offensive line has yet to dominate anything so bring on that scrimmage with Maine!!

Seeing as the powers that be see UConn as not quite ready for prime time I would suggest doing away with the FCS after the current ones on the schedule run their course and replace them with regional and/or old Big East rivals. BC and Syracuse are already on the schedule as is UMass. If I was the new AD I'd try and package some stuff together with say Pitt and WVU basketball and football wise. Then throw out some feelers to regional schools like Penn St, Maryland and Rutgers. If none are interested work with the MAC, CUSA and Mountain West schools.

Playing Maine and Holy Cross now is ok but 5 years from now that cupcake game might be the one that keeps the Huskies out of the playoffs even if they are owning the rest of the AAC.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I would say as the program improves so should the strength of schedule. As of right now your still looking at 5 losing seasons in a row, the presumed starting QB is nursing a broken wrist(not good if your a QB) and the young offensive line has yet to dominate anything so bring on that scrimmage with Maine!!

Seeing as the powers that be see UConn as not quite ready for prime time I would suggest doing away with the FCS after the current ones on the schedule run their course and replace them with regional and/or old Big East rivals. BC and Syracuse are already on the schedule as is UMass. If I was the new AD I'd try and package some stuff together with say Pitt and WVU basketball and football wise. Then throw out some feelers to regional schools like Penn St, Maryland and Rutgers. If none are interested work with the MAC, CUSA and Mountain West schools.

Playing Maine and Holy Cross now is ok but 5 years from now that cupcake game might be the one that keeps the Huskies out of the playoffs even if they are owning the rest of the AAC.
Unfortunately, Pitt won't do home and home series with G5 schools.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
We're not going to be in the playoffs unless we're undefeated with wins over multiple top 25 schools, one being OOC. Cripes, Iowa was 12-1, wins over #19 and #20 and the lone loss in the champ game against the #5 rated team. We'd need something similar to that with the championship game victory.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
We're not going to be in the playoffs unless we're undefeated with wins over multiple top 25 schools, one being OOC. Cripes, Iowa was 12-1, wins over #19 and #20 and the lone loss in the champ game against the #5 rated team. We'd need something similar to that with the championship game victory.
Or we need an 8-team playoff, which is likely coming down the pike.

Reaction Score
Then embarrass them a few times at their place, squawk loud about it and tell them if they want revenge they "have to pay the Rent!!" Squeaky wheel gets the grease. UConn needs to make noise and if it's on the road then so be it.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Or we need an 8-team playoff, which is likely coming down the pike.
I thought so, until ratings dropped big time and ESPN was stuck with ad buybacks. I think we're in a holding pattern for 2 more years.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
I thought so, until ratings dropped big time and ESPN was stuck with ad buybacks. I think we're in a holding pattern for 2 more years.

That's because those idiots picked a bad schedule.

Reaction Score
Seriously? Is this how you feel about every differing opinion?

No, just the stupid ones. There is no downside, either now or in the immediate future, particularly if the remaining non-conference schedule has more compelling games.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Michigan and Tennessee will, but Pitt won't? F them then.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Pat Narduzzi is an arrogant SOB. Personally, I don't think Pitt warrants the kind of leverage to eliminate G5 schools from their schedule but if that's the talk they want to talk, so be it. As much as I dislike Pitt, Narduzzi has them going in the right direction. Sometimes when you say that you are above a certain threshold/standard enough, even when you're not, people start to buy into it. Then you can actually become a program above a certain threshold. We will see if Pitt can do that or if playing an entire P5 schedule will be too difficult for them.

Plus, there is the whole ticket sales aspect in Pitt football. Nobody goes to Pitt football games. Heinz is an empty ketchup bottle and has been for many, many years. I think the whole "no G5 schools" proclamation has as much to do with desperately trying to move tickets as it does Narduzzi trying to establish a swagger at Pitt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom