Should we play like old school Arkansas? | The Boneyard

Should we play like old school Arkansas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Since we can't shoot, and teams like Wagner and Northeastern were able to get open shots anytime they wanted in the half court, perhaps we should become a full-court press/trapping team. The old 40minutes of hell that Nolan Richardson used to run. We do have length and athleticism. This team needs an identity

Reaction Score
I have been saying for 3 years that we have to run to be an elite team due to the serious issues in the halfcourt offense. Averaging 59 points against Wagner and Northeastern is further proof of that.

Get the games up into the 70's and things will improve dramatically. Even if you don't rebound that well, you can still play a more uptempo style than pass around the perimeter for 20 seconds, then hope to get a good shot.

Run mofos, run.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Since we can't shoot, and teams like Wagner and Northeastern were able to get open shots anytime they wanted in the half court, perhaps we should become a full-court press/trapping team. The old 40minutes of hell that Nolan Richardson used to run. We do have length and athleticism. This team needs an identity

We aren't even capable of ten minutes mutes of pain right now. We need to defend the 3 first.

Reaction Score
This is West Virginia's plan why not? Since we don't have the beef down low do we have the players to make that work?

Reaction Score
In this case it might not hurt. Heck, it's worth a try. Our guys can get up and down the floor and we do have depth.

Reaction Score
They tried to full court press in the first exhibition, but they weren't great. New Haven just passed over the press and it led to a few layups and at least one open 3. Despite that, I'd still like to see them try it going forward. At this point, anything to shake things up.

Reaction Score
You cannot run if you cannot rebound. Very few teams can run off of made baskets; Doron was amazing at it, but that was 20 years ago.

I would love to see us press. However, the press has become an outdated concept. Trapping and pressing was effective in the past because there were so few ball-handlers on the court and teams were unsure how to beat it. But now, teams generally have 3 capable ball-handlers and presses are pretty easy to beat. That's why our "heyday" of pressing was really only two years. After that, we just used it to disrupt tempo. Not to get easy baskets.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
You cannot run if you cannot rebound. Very few teams can run off of made baskets; Doron was amazing at it, but that was 20 years ago.

I would love to see us press. However, the press has become an outdated concept. Trapping and pressing was effective in the past because there were so few ball-handlers on the court and teams were unsure how to beat it. But now, teams generally have 3 capable ball-handlers and presses are pretty easy to beat. That's why our "heyday" of pressing was really only two years. After that, we just used it to disrupt tempo. Not to get easy baskets.
I agree with you that once Calhoun got some studs he pressed less and less. I don't see enough studs on this team not to give it a try. UCon will occasionally pressure after a time out or made basket but after the inbounds pass they call out off immediately. UConn is struggling to score and doesn't rebound well enough to run on missed shots leading me to believe some full court pressure will create turnovers or at least up the tempo.

Reaction Score
I agree with you that once Calhoun got some studs he pressed less and less. I don't see enough studs on this team not to give it a try. UCon will occasionally pressure after a time out or made basket but after the inbounds pass they call out off immediately. UConn is struggling to score and doesn't rebound well enough to run on missed shots leading me to believe some full court pressure will create turnovers or at least up the tempo.

Maybe... Or it would be a layup drill.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score

Louisville plays this style and they won a national championship doing it. I think it has potential. We do have the athletes and length to do it

Reaction Score
Coming out pressing may help get the energy level up, but that's probably temporary. I'd take it.

Our biggest issues in no particular order are rebounding, zone offense and defensive assignments. You can throw in 3 point shooting also. Rebounding may require new recruits, the other 2 can be improved with different schemes,, though defense requires some basketball IQ and hustle.

We could use Larrier in the middle of the zone, but he seems to not see the floor well (so far) and seems to be a shoot first guy. Maybe you try Adams or one of the new guys Vital/Jackson. It will take more than one guy.

On Defense he may need to mix it up. Our teams the last few years, don't rotate well and are frequently out of position. There is so much that needs to be fixed, I'm not sure we can do it without an offseason focus and training camp. How the does cuse succeed with the scalitoing zone every year?

Reaction Score
Watch West Virginia. Good call @jibsey

Problem arises with the new foul rules w/ hand checks. Don't think we could keep our guards out of foul trouble which would be a major issue. Plus once we send them to the line, it's tough for our transition game to get going.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
What makes anyone think that KO can coach a press ? I don't mean it as a knock either. How do we know it's in his bag of knowledge. Coaching up a good press is pretty specialized,
Pitino is good at it
Huggins is obviously.
I hate to say it but nose picker coaches a good press.
Probably Shaka too

Why do we think we'd be successful with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom