Should Geno take a page from Danny’s book? | The Boneyard

Should Geno take a page from Danny’s book?

Reaction Score
Geno usually has only 7 or 8 players with significant playing time. Will he put more emphasis on developing a deeper bench? A deeper bench helped Adama not be worn out by tourney time. I hope Geno has 10 players with more than 15 minutes per game and no players more than 30.

Reaction Score
If next year’s roster is as good as advertised, I think that’s the best thing to do.

Aaliyah was visibly fatigued after the South Carolina game. If Ayanna, Ice and Jana can spell her, that’s a great sign. If KK can make an immediate impact, that’s also a great sign.

A bunch of “if’s”, but I’d love to see Aaliyah, Azzi, Nika and Paige not having to average 30+ minutes/game next year.

Reaction Score
If , a big if, Paige, Azzi and Aliyah are completely healthy, there is, in my opinion,
1% or less chance that they don’t average at least 30 minutes a game, probably more in tournament games! That is his way and it’s unlikely to change!

Reaction Score
Geno usually has only 7 or 8 players with significant playing time. Will he put more emphasis on developing a deeper bench? A deeper bench helped Adama not be worn out by tourney time. I hope Geno has 10 players with more than 15 minutes per game and no players more than 30.
No. They aren't comparable. Geno gets all-americans and even then the top players of the top. Danny gets the 2nd tier guys.

Look at the players that have won title sthe last several years in the women's game. They are usally top 5 H/s recruits that shine. In the men's game they are usually gone way before.

Jds

Reaction Score
No. They aren't comparable. Geno gets all-americans and even then the top players of the top. Danny gets the 2nd tier guys.

Look at the players that have won title sthe last several years in the women's game. They are usally top 5 H/s recruits that shine. In the men's game they are usually gone way before.
So is Geno's winning a function of his coaching or that he gets the best players? Take away Stewie, Maya, Tina, Diana and Sue and how many championships would he have? Is his approach really the best?

Jds

Reaction Score
Define approach? Are you saying getting the best players and playing them the most time on a short rotation is the approach? That wouold imply he needs the best to win.
A larger a rotation with players having roles that add to the team might be a better approach these days. BTW-He's great at getting them ready for the pros.

Reaction Score
So is Geno's winning a function of his coaching or that he gets the best players? Take away Stewie, Maya, Tina, Diana and Sue and how many championships would he have? Is his approach really the best?
It's both. Not either/or. He's even said he has had the players.

With that said, he also coach's to a style that many top recruits love. For example they love to run. Geno has said often he loves his team's to run.

It's no accident that over the years he has gotten a lot of number 1 recruits.

Reaction Score
Define approach? Are you saying getting the best players and playing them the most time on a short rotation is the approach? That wouold imply he needs the best to win.
A larger a rotation with players having roles that add to the team might be a better approach these days. BTW-He's great at getting them ready for the pros.
As for the bold, Sugar Ray Leonard beat Roberto Duran the 2nd time they fought because he chose to not slug it out with Duran. Sugar Ray's strength was his mobility within the ring. But he wouldn't fight that style vs many inferior opponents. So not all the time woudl he go with 1 style. When Geno gets the #1 recruit, he doesn't mess around; he plays to the team’s strength. But VS inferior teams he will play his bench late.

Though similar to Sugar Ray fighting to his strength vs a tough opponent, and challenges the opponent to hit him. Similarly, Geno gets the #1 recruits and challenges the opposing teams to stop them. The very fact he plays them and wins as much as he has- then that generates further interest from the next superstar young players to want to come to UCONN. It's not that he "needs." Instead, he plays to his team's strength. So, his method is self-perpetuating success as long as he keeps winning.

In regard to the italics, it's not a better approach. What's derailed UCONN the last 2 years are injuries. Are the Azzi injuries, the Caroline injuries, Aubrey injury, Ice injury, last year's Dorka injury, all attributed to Geno playing them too much? You can argue Paige but I highly doubt that too but the others - no way.

The prior year what derailed UCONN was Walker leaving. Before that Azura leaving. Before that they lose two buzzer beaters in FF. In which one team, Notre Dame, had a team of basically 6. When Stanford won 2 years ago their pg Williams played about 40 minutes the last 3 games and Hull averaged about 35.

This year LSU won in which their pg from S16 through Final 4 averaged 39 minutes. Reece had 2 games she played 38 and the 1 she played 31 she had 5 fouls. Only South Carolina used its bench a lot last year when they won it. But they tried that this year and how well did their bench wear down Caitlyn Clark? Why couldn't their bench wear her down? How many different players did they put on her? 3? 4? 5?

Reaction Score
So is this what we're doing now Husky Nation, this a thing now 2nd guessing a coach who has 11 NCs against the coach who has won 1?..injuries to a third of your team will have something to do with fatigue. Give Geno credit for making lemonade out of lemons or were we supposed to win the NC with the players who were healthy last year? Geno had role players Hurley had his entire squad and all were healthy or do you think he would have won it all if Sanogo and Hawkins were out for the year and Jackson was hurt all year along with Clingan who was in and out due to head injuries..How quickly we forget...I know this tho if Geno was coaching SC this year he would have won it all, so let's be grateful for who we have coaching both squads before we lose them and start complaining about the good old days like the 2022 season when we showed resilience in the face of adversity and overachieved.

Reaction Score

You forgot to mention Rebecca. :rolleyes:

You can do this exercise with any championship team. Doesn’t represent any kind of special insight.

Reaction Score
I hope for something similar to that. Geno doesn't usually go that deep but the 16 championship team might be a model. We had the top 3 picks in the WNBA draft, but they were only at 30 minutes a game or so, including Stewie in her senior year. Several things made that possible.

First that was one of the best teams ever, and they had early blowout wins in all but a hand-full of games, making it much easier to give extended minutes to the bench. If the games were significantly closer, obviously the starter minutes would have gone up. As far as our team this upcoming season, I see a much more dominant team than the past few years, but not at the level of 2016. Far more blowouts to give the bench more time, but not like 2016.

A second factor is how much the play falls off going to your bench, or the gap between your starters and the bench. The 2016 team had two future WNBA players on the bench in Napheesa and Gabby. It is easy to give your star starters a bench when you can do it with another star. But the next two off the bench were clearly way better than average backups as well, in fact as good as most average team's starters in Natalie and Saniya (both of whom were also drafted). By the time we went 10 deep we had Courtney who was still good enough after she transferred to be a starter in a power 5 conference. This year's team could have similar depth going 10 or 11 deep as well.

Third is how the team plays. If there is an emphasis on pressing and fast breaks, that needs a deep bench to pull it off, and a willingness to reduce somewhat the minutes played by your top players. That is the trade off, but you are also wearing out the opponents top players too, so against a team with a weak bench it seems like an obvious choice to me. That is something that could range from becoming our style we use against most teams, to a far more selective strategic used against just a few. The more we use it, the more rationale for going 10 deep.

A possible headwind to the extended bench is the schedule. Ours is front-loaded with difficult out of conference games. Could this team be ready for a big rotation from the start? Maybe, but if not there is still the possibility of expanding some roles after they get more comfortable in them during the less challenging conference schedule, and be ready to add more pieces to the rotation by the time we hit the tournaments.

Reaction Score
Yes!! He is second all time in wins, and has more NCs than all the other "teachers" combined. Do you really think if he had Boston the last 4 years he wouldn't have won at least 3 of those? He coached his team to 14 or so consecutive FFs and his winning accolades go on and on and on. He should NEVER change his approach, his formula is what built those players into what they are today.

Reaction Score
Off the top of my head I can't think of another coach I would trade for Geno and that answers your question right there. He has set the standard in WCBB for coaching and setting expectations for his players. He makes the 5* players come in and work on their team aspect just like the others and expects them to be 5* every night out.

This year he lost 3 key players after the roster was pretty much set and still had a pretty solid year. What he was missing was the player that knew how to put the dagger in the heart of the opponent when the opportunity was there and you simply can't coach that part. In retrospect he might have sacrificed a few games getting players more time but I wouldn't think nor expect wholesale changes.

Jim

Reaction Score
The issue to measure when talking about a deep bench, is how big of a drop off do you get when you take a starter out and replace that player from someone on the bench. And you trade that off with how much more effective the starter taken out will be later in the game after receiving some rest. Hurley had one of the deepest benches in the country in their championship run. He could bring in a talented 7' 2" center off the bench at the 5 spot. And the replacements for Hawkins and Jackson, Jr. were experienced players from the portal and not freshmen. So in Geno's case, what is the talent drop off between Paige and her replacement. Or Azzi and her replacement? Or Aaliyah and her replacement? Nika? You are talking about NPOY or AA (honorable mention) candidates being replaced by freshmen. We can hope those freshmen have AA level skills, but I don't see Geno changing his ways until those bench players earn their playing time in the practice gym and show him they deserve to get playing time.

Reaction Score
When Geno won it all. He always had the best players. However in the good old days--I saw him destined to los a game--until after half time. Then they'd achieve another level. He, Geo, has said (more than once) great players make a coach look great. RECRUITING determines your success.

Reactions: Jds
Reaction Score
The issue to measure when talking about a deep bench, is how big of a drop off do you get when you take a starter out and replace that player from someone on the bench. And you trade that off with how much more effective the starter taken out will be later in the game after receiving some rest. Hurley had one of the deepest benches in the country in their championship run. He could bring in a talented 7' 2" center off the bench at the 5 spot. And the replacements for Hawkins and Jackson, Jr. were experienced players from the portal and not freshmen. So in Geno's case, what is the talent drop off between Paige and her replacement. Or Azzi and her replacement? Or Aaliyah and her replacement? Nika? You are talking about NPOY or AA (honorable mention) candidates being replaced by freshmen. We can hope those freshmen have AA level skills, but I don't see Geno changing his ways until those bench players earn their playing time in the practice gym and show him they deserve to get playing time.
Great coaches when replacing "starters" have minimal drop off. Unless, you replace Paige or one of her skill level. I dare say there were times this past season when a STARTER went out and no one noticed!

Reaction Score
The year Geno's team was beating opponents by 40 points, Stewie, I think, averaged 25 minutes.

Reaction Score
I believe in the "In Geno We Trust" approach - no accident that he has won 11 championships. That being said, similar to South Carolina's loss in the NCAA's, it never hurts to be prepared for the 1 in a 100 situation. Could be based on fouls, injuries, or a hot shooter. Rarely would I ever think Geno should change the UConn approach but never hurts to keep the other team guessing.

MdStang

Greetings From Geezerville
Reaction Score
Geno hinted at using a pressing defensive style when talking about the team he thought he was going to have last summer. If everyone is healthy I think he will employ that style of play. Most of us think Paige, Nika, Azzi and Aliyah will start with either Aubrey or Caroline. Geno can sub in for quickness (KK and Quadence), scoring (Ice and Ashlynn), rebounding (Ayanna) and a variety of other situations depending on the progress of Jana, ines and Amari. The players can go all out without getting gassed late in the game. Sounds scary to me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom