Shonn Miller and Sterling Gibbs | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Shonn Miller and Sterling Gibbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I'll be rooting for him to do it, that's for sure. Not sure how likely it is though - their freshman starting PF averaged 10 and 5 next year, and they have both a Texas A&M transfer and a former USC commit via JUCO at the 5. Definitely still want to follow him.
Absolutely. I just think he's always going to look like a Defensive End who wandered onto the basketball court.

Reaction Score
We will miss Miller immensely next year. On the offensive end, he had the highest BBIQ on the team. On the defensive end, unfortunately the coaching staff couldn't drill out of him his tendency to clutch/grab in the post. Still, very clearly a net positive.

Gibbs was miscast in the role of PG, but was the spot-up shooter we needed. For those pining for the days of Terrence Samuel, my goodness.

It's clear the chemistry/roles were never as settled as we needed them to be, but I don't think you can blame the individuals for that. It happens.

Without these guys we wouldn't have sniffed the Tournament and our program wouldn't have gotten even the brief glimpse of relevance and buzz we got the last 9 days.

Reaction Score
Are you ing me?
We are not kissing their asses, you imbecile, we are giving them credit for picking this university and entertaining us until we ran into the number 1 team in the country in the last 32. They brought pride and leadership to this thrown-together team. On top of that, they led our team to a conference championship and a run in the NCAA tournament. These are kids after all with heaps of ridiculous pressure, so they deserve appreciation.What are we supposed to f*king say? "Good riddance Sterling and Shonn, you were a waste of time and not good enough. Who cares what you achieved here, you're failures".
Get out of here. There will be a hole without Shonn next year.

Stop trying to top each other and going out of your way to laud Gibbs. Nobody on this board thought he should have been in the position and given the minutes that he got. As far as being a leader, what? Gibbs has 2 prior stops that show he's not a great character guy, and not a damn thing was said the entire season about Shonn being a leader in the locker room, and he sure as hell wasn't one on the court.

Reaction Score
Would you not do the same if you were Sterling Gibbs/Shonn Miller? What do you expect them to do? Sterling Gibbs and Shonn Miller were presented with a once in a lifetime opportunity- You can play at any school that wants you for one year, one last college ride, without having to sit out a year.
Be proud they picked the University of Connecticut when they each could have chosen from a handful of other schools. What other option did we have? Keep Terrence Samuel and sign a 2 star PF from the streets of Hartford?

Clearly you don't understand what I am responding to. It doesn't matter whether I would have made the same decision or not, the guy I responded to calling them "family" as if they were program lifers was being ridiculous. They chose UConn because we were the best offer they had on the board. Omar would have filled Gibbs role on this team just fine, and Shonn was a decent role player, his not being in the program for a year wasn't going to cripple the brand.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
“I think, to be honest, some people may say it was a disappointment,” he said. “But, to me, it was a success. We won an AAC championship that no one ever thought we would win. We won a game in the tournament. But, it goes further from basketball. These are my brothers. I think that’s why it hurts so bad. You want to achieve things with your family, and this is my family.”

http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20160319/kansas-hands-uconn-first-ncaa-loss-under-ollie

GFY @PcketknfNiels . I'll take a kid like Gibbs eight days a week. He's given more to this program in one season than an angry troll like you could give in ten lifetimes.

Sad that you're too miserable to realize what it's all about.

I'm glad that Gibbs does.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Stop trying to top each other and going out of your way to laud Gibbs. Nobody on this board thought he should have been in the position and given the minutes that he got. As far as being a leader, what? Gibbs has 2 prior stops that show he's not a great character guy, and not a damn thing was said the entire season about Shonn being a leader in the locker room, and he sure as hell wasn't one on the court.
Dude.... I don't even know what to say. Are you basing Sterling Gibbs' ENTIRE character on the fact that he attended a few different schools and had an on-court altercation in the past? Did you not see Gibbs this year? His character was fine. Of course, he struggled the first portion of the year, as anyone would coming to a new situation. I think some of us overrated Gibbs perhaps. When we heard Sterling Gibbs was signing with UConn, we saw he averaged 16 points and we saw visions of Kemba Walker and Shabazz Napier in our head. But, I for one, did not watch much, if any, of Sterling Gibbs until he came to UConn. I assumed he would be a quick, ball handling, good shooting floor general at point. It turns out he was an above average shooting, relatively slow, undersized 2 guard. That's not his fault, our expectations were just out of line. He still came to this University and gave it everything he had. After stumbling to start the year, he found his role and delivered big time shooting for us late in the season. If this team were in a different portion of the bracket, say the 1 seed Oregon region, who's to say this team couldn't get to the elite 8 or FF? We just ran into a much better team. It's impressive that they made it this far, and they served as great bridge players to help our young guys for next year. Because I don't know about you, but that second half against Kansas encouraged for next season with Hamilton, Purvis and Adams, and I doubt we make that progress without Gibbs and Miller.
And do NOT sit there and tell me Gibbs is not a Husky "lifer" or however you phrase it. Go to the 4:40 mark here and tell me Gibbs doesn't feel a connection to UConn.

Reaction Score
Gibb's and Miller became Huskies and will always bleed blue. Ignore doubters. Just wondering if there are any post game quotes or sightings of Miller. Appreciated both Gibb's and Miller all year and feel bad that Miller had a bad game as his last game. Without him the season would have been over a lot earlier.

Reaction Score
Hard to sustain success in any big time program without making the dance almost every year. Without Gibbs and Miller we would have missed the NCAA tournament two years in row. Expectations for Gibbs was way too high. ( This happens all the time with freshman recruits too) Miller and Gibbs provided our program with a bridge to get us through the 2015/2016 season to the 2016/2017 season. I am very happy that Ollie got both of them to come to UConn in their final year of college basketball. They both made major contributions to the success of this year's team.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
What's wrong with him is he's a total scumbag who spouts off under the veil of anonymity that internet message boards provide. He's a miserable soul who finds comfort in losing so he has something to complain about. It's reminiscent of a gambling addict who subconsciously knows that at the end of the day he will lose. And when he does lose he will complain to whoever will listen about how bad his luck is and how crappy he runs even though deep down he knows he's meant to lose and it soothes him when he does. Because losers are supposed to lose. It's why there are 10x as many posts after a loss than after a win. These people actually hope for a loss deep down because they know they're losers and they can't wait to log on and tell everyone about it. Unfortunately boards like these give these parasites a place to spout off instead of cursing at their tvs alone in their basement. I for one would much prefer the latter.

Miller and Gibbs brought a lot to this team this year and they will be missed, as will Phil and Omar. All seem like standup kids with a lot of heart. To disparage their contributions here is a total joke and you should be ashamed of yourself.
Because of what you wrote I don't feel the "need" to post this:

I think the only thing worse than the band wagon fan is the entitled fan who NEEDS the team to win as opposed to wants the team to win. Everyone can identify these so called losers (yeah I'm calling them out only because that's the only language they understand) by the way they hit the players, team and coaches over the course of a season. It's all about them, the fan. The failure isn't about the team or players. There is no sympathy or empathy regarding what the team is going through. All they can think of is how the team failed them.

All serious fans immerse themselves in outcomes. But at the end of the day the well adjusted fan doesn't project outcomes as a part of themselves. The well adjusted fan doesn't want payback for bad outcomes. They don't want to hurt the players, team or coach because they feel lousy. The insecure (their language -losers) want to see these players, coaches, team suffer.

They should paint their toe nails Cuse orange and walk around barefoot in front of the world because they take the escalator and don't have ten toes in.

Reaction Score
I'll admit I had to log out to see who everyone was complaining about.

I'm amazed most of you didn't have him on ignore and I'm shocked he stuck around this long. Usually he picks a fight, gets his feelings hurt, and disappears.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'll admit I had to log out to see who everyone was complaining about.

I'm amazed most of you didn't have him on ignore and I'm shocked he stuck around this long. Usually he picks a fight, gets his feelings hurt, and disappears.
I'm amazed you're amazed.

You have to wonder how long before people realize that trying to change someone by insulting or engaging rationally such as the person in question is a waste of time. It's kind of like being satisfied you squeezed but are still constipated. Nothing happens in the end. The turd is still there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thank you, Sterling:
Sterling Gibbs‏@SterlingGibbs4
You accepted me, you embraced me, you loved me...Thank you Uconn. Best decision of my life
1f436.png
1f499.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member