Shonn Miller and Sterling Gibbs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Shonn Miller and Sterling Gibbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Not sure why any of you feel the need to bend over backwards to kiss either of these guys asses. Gibbs was largely a failure and KO did him no favors stubbornly sticking with him at PG all year. Miller was a pretty efficient finesse post player, but doesn't rebound well at all, doesn't protect the rim, and is a complete foul machine.

You 3 seem like the type of guys that thinks every athlete should get a trophy for participating. If you had your way, we wouldn't even be keeping score of these games, we'd just have a 68-way tie every year.

Can only speak for myself but I hate the participation trophy destruction of society. That being said, I will never waiver on my stance of always supporting those who are family. Shonn and Sterling are family.

Have you ever actually played a team sport?

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Gibbs was the major factor in our win at Houston and hit some key threes in other games as well. He will also be a Husky to me and I wish him well in his future career.

Shonn struggled today but for most of the year was our best low post player in many years.

Before the season, I must admit that I had much higher expectations for Sterling, but he played hard and improved his defense notably over the season.
After seeing Shonn early on, I thought he was only scratching the surface of his talent and I hoped he would be a star by the end of the year....didn't happen that way but he still was a very good player and I wish he was coming back.

Reaction Score
Wish Shonn didn't decide to his pants from the Cincy game until now. Not sure if the moment was too big for him at a real program or what. Either way, not going to sit here and act like I'll miss either of them much.

You are a jerk and clearly don't understand basketball. Think about this team without Miller and Gibbs. NIT at best. It is very hard to come into a program for one year and fit in perfectly. Yet, they were two of our top contributors.

Thank you Mr. Miller and Mr. Gibbs for coming to UConn! We needed you this year and we appreciate your efforts!

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Gibbs will go home with the knowledge that his last game in college was probably the best game of his life. Shonn will have to live with the fact that he came up short. The sad part about Miller is that he could play Kansas tomorrow and have a solid game. He just had a bad game on the wrong night.

Reaction Score
This is a terrible post and you should feel bad for writing it.

It's not and I don't. We will be a better team next year, and part of that is because these 2 extremely limited players won't be around.

Reaction Score
Why did we stick with Gibbs all year? Because the alternative was playing Adams 30 minutes a game all year notwithstanding that, until the tournament, his ability to get to the hoop was overwhelmed by the fact that Gibbs played much better D, was in a different stratosphere as a shooter and avoided the abundant freshman mistakes. And was more consistent. The Adams who suddenly started hitting shots in the last few weeks was not the Adams who Gibbs was playing more than most of the year.

You're confusing people thinking you are wrong for being against participation awards with people who think you don't actually know crap about basketball.

Gibbs was horrible defensively for at least the first half of the season, and was THE key factor with this team being offensively challenged all year. The only reason he didn't turn the ball over was because he wasn't capable of breaking any defense down, and thus the vast majority of his passing were routine around the horn type passes. I'll grant that he's a better shooter than Jalen, but that only adds to the argument that he should have been off the ball.

Adams on the other hand, while he'll make freshman mistakes, he's capable of initiating offense and would have been able to improve over the course of the season with added experience in a bigger role. Gibbs is what he is, no 5th year senior was going to suddenly drastically improve or show new skills.

Reaction Score
Can only speak for myself but I hate the participation trophy destruction of society. That being said, I will never waiver on my stance of always supporting those who are family. Shonn and Sterling are family.

Have you ever actually played a team sport?

Omar and Nolan are family. Gibbs and Shonn were hired guns. Them coming to UConn to play basketball for a high profile program was more self-serving than beneficial to this program in any way.

Reaction Score
Gibbs was horrible defensively for at least the first half of the season, and was THE key factor with this team being offensively challenged all year. The only reason he didn't turn the ball over was because he wasn't capable of breaking any defense down, and thus the vast majority of his passing were routine around the horn type passes. I'll grant that he's a better shooter than Jalen, but that only adds to the argument that he should have been off the ball.

Adams on the other hand, while he'll make freshman mistakes, he's capable of initiating offense and would have been able to improve over the course of the season with added experience in a bigger role. Gibbs is what he is, no 5th year senior was going to suddenly drastically improve or show new skills.

Of course he would have been better playing off the ball! Unfortunately, UConn didn't have an experienced pg so the responsibility fell on Gibbs. Early in the season, Adams was not ready to be the pg.

Don't blame the players. This team had limitations, but they played their hearts out most games. We should thank Gibbs and Miller, not criticize them.

Reaction Score
It's not and I don't. We will be a better team next year, and part of that is because these 2 extremely limited players won't be around.

You're losing it. These 2 guys were our only post scorer and the one guy you couldn't afford to leave on the perimeter. Without them, we would have pretty much been just like last year's team with Jalen Adams (who couldn't shoot threes) instead of Boat and an offense that looks like a clogged toilet. That means none of these guys get the taste of winning a postseason tournament or playing in the NCAAs to build on.

Reaction Score
Of course he would have been better playing off the ball! Unfortunately, UConn didn't have an experienced pg so the responsibility fell on Gibbs. Early in the season, Adams was not ready to be the pg.

Don't blame the players. This team had limitations, but they played their hearts out most games. We should thank Gibbs and Miller, not criticize them.

So you're saying Gibbs shouldn't have been the PG and that Ollie shouldn't have been playing the guy on this team who is a PG from day 1? We knew very early on Gibbs wasn't the guy, why wouldn't you go with the alternative? Players get better by playing and getting that experience.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Wish Shonn didn't decide to his pants from the Cincy game until now. Not sure if the moment was too big for him at a real program or what. Either way, not going to sit here and act like I'll miss either of them much.

Let me guess, you're in your 50s and terminally single with an odor that repulses every woman who comes near you? It's definitely showing here.

Reaction Score
You're losing it. These 2 guys were our only post scorer and the one guy you couldn't afford to leave on the perimeter. Without them, we would have pretty much been just like last year's team with Jalen Adams (who couldn't shoot threes) instead of Boat and an offense that looks like a clogged toilet. That means none of these guys get the taste of winning a postseason tournament or playing in the NCAAs to build on.

Miller was a horrible rebounder, complete foul machine, and a total 0 as a rim protector. Purvis, not Gibbs, was this team's best deep threat. Omar could have played spot up shooter in Gibbs place and we wouldn't have been any worse for it.

Reaction Score
Let me guess, you're in your 50s and terminally single with an odor that repulses every woman who comes near you? It's definitely showing here.

Pretty wide miss, but I can see how my saying I won't miss either of their games on a sports team necessitates that kind of response.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Not sure why any of you feel the need to bend over backwards to kiss either of these guys asses. Gibbs was largely a failure and KO did him no favors stubbornly sticking with him at PG all year. Miller was a pretty efficient finesse post player, but doesn't rebound well at all, doesn't protect the rim, and is a complete foul machine.

You 3 seem like the type of guys that thinks every athlete should get a trophy for participating. If you had your way, we wouldn't even be keeping score of these games, we'd just have a 68-way tie every year.
Are you ting me?
We are not kissing their asses, you imbecile, we are giving them credit for picking this university and entertaining us until we ran into the number 1 team in the country in the last 32. They brought pride and leadership to this thrown-together team. On top of that, they led our team to a conference championship and a run in the NCAA tournament. These are kids after all with heaps of ridiculous pressure, so they deserve appreciation.What are we supposed to f*king say? "Good riddance Sterling and Shonn, you were a waste of time and not good enough. Who cares what you achieved here, you're failures".
Get out of here. There will be a hole without Shonn next year.

Reaction Score
What are we supposed to f*king say? "Good riddance Sterling and Shonn, you were a waste of time and not good enough. Who cares what you achieved here, you're failures".

Yes, I believe that's what he has reiterated several times.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Pretty wide miss, but I can see how my saying I won't miss either of their games on a sports team necessitates that kind of response.

Either way, you post as if you have a participation trophy up your rear. You might wanna take it out, your temperament could stand to improve.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Omar and Nolan are family. Gibbs and Shonn were hired guns. Them coming to UConn to play basketball for a high profile program was more self-serving than beneficial to this program in any way.
Would you not do the same if you were Sterling Gibbs/Shonn Miller? What do you expect them to do? Sterling Gibbs and Shonn Miller were presented with a once in a lifetime opportunity- You can play at any school that wants you for one year, one last college ride, without having to sit out a year.
Be proud they picked the University of Connecticut when they each could have chosen from a handful of other schools. What other option did we have? Keep Terrence Samuel and sign a 2 star PF from the streets of Hartford?

Reaction Score
Yeah, he totally wanted to play badly. What is wrong with you.

What's wrong with him is he's a total scumbag who spouts off under the veil of anonymity that internet message boards provide. He's a miserable soul who finds comfort in losing so he has something to complain about. It's reminiscent of a gambling addict who subconsciously knows that at the end of the day he will lose. And when he does lose he will complain to whoever will listen about how bad his luck is and how crappy he runs even though deep down he knows he's meant to lose and it soothes him when he does. Because losers are supposed to lose. It's why there are 10x as many posts after a loss than after a win. These people actually hope for a loss deep down because they know they're losers and they can't wait to log on and tell everyone about it. Unfortunately boards like these give these parasites a place to spout off instead of cursing at their tvs alone in their basement. I for one would much prefer the latter.

Miller and Gibbs brought a lot to this team this year and they will be missed, as will Phil and Omar. All seem like standup kids with a lot of heart. To disparage their contributions here is a total joke and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
It's not always the message, it's the delivery. I don't think it can be disputed that Gibbs wasn't what we hoped he might be and that Miller was not very effective down the stretch. We don't need to beat them up though. The kids were what they were and the season is over. A season that ended a lot stronger than we all thought it may have just a couple of weeks ago.

I'm like everyone else, I want to see this team play up to the standard that has been set in the past and I would like to see us not needing to rely on 5th year transfers, but I just don't see the need to burn anyone now.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Would you not do the same if you were Sterling Gibbs/Shonn Miller? What do you expect them to do? Sterling Gibbs and Shonn Miller were presented with a once in a lifetime opportunity- You can play at any school that wants you for one year, one last college ride, without having to sit out a year.
Be proud they picked the University of Connecticut when they each could have chosen from a handful of other schools. What other option did we have? Keep Terrence Samuel and sign a 2 star PF from the streets of Hartford?

Maybe he's the one person still holding out hope that Rakim Lubin would've become the next DeJuan Blair.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Maybe he's the one person still holding out hope that Rakim Lubin would've become the next DeJuan Blair.
I guess you never know, the Rak could take California State University-Northridge to new heights by his senior year.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I guess you never know, the Rak could take California State University-Northridge to new heights by his senior year.

I'll be rooting for him to do it, that's for sure. Not sure how likely it is though - their freshman starting PF averaged 10 and 5 next year, and they have both a Texas A&M transfer and a former USC commit via JUCO at the 5. Definitely still want to follow him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom