Sherri Coale on Geno | The Boneyard

Sherri Coale on Geno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wow! How could any recruit read that and want to play for anyone else? Sherri has to know that too - what a nice thing to write. (She also has to know she ain't makin' no friends in the male-coach-hate faction of the WBCA.)

Reaction Score
Touche! All who were aghast at his recent comments toward Stewie MUST read this. Also, add "Geno: In Pursuit of Perfection," to your Kindle. Personally the impetus to my love for women's basketball began with my love for my three daughters. Their friends referred to me as The Sarge. My oldest, went to camp when Kim Mulkey was stiil at LaTech. My girls continue to thank me. (IMHO) They are fine young women, great mothers, loving wives, and assets to their various professions. I give God the glory. As for me, Geno's my guy.

Reaction Score
"But Geno wins because he makes the best players better versions of themselves."

Isn't that all we can hope for from a teacher? They make their students better versions themselves. Geno's tools of choice are humor, sarcasm, and demands of the pursuit of perfection. He teaches when he needs to teach. Cheers when he needs to cheer. Counsels when he needs to counsel. Is he right for everyone? No. No teacher is.

But there is a reason that his former players come back to practice with the team. That they come back to cheer Geno, CD and the team on. That they come back to pass on their wisdom. There is a reason they cry when it is time to graduate.

He finds a way in. He stirs their talent. He stirs their competitive spirit. He stirs their dreams. Many think he is chasing championships. That is only the manifestation of his goal. His goal to make them the best versions of themselves.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sherry is a tremendous writer. Always loved reading her stuff.

Excellent article. Must read for any UCONN fan.

Reaction Score
"But Geno wins because he makes the best players better versions of themselves."

Isn't that all we can hope for from a teacher? They make their students better versions themselves. Geno's tools of choice are humor, sarcasm, and demands of the pursuit of perfection. He teaches when he needs to teach. Cheers when he needs to cheer. Counsels when he needs to counsel. Is he right for everyone? No. No teacher is.

But there is a reason that his former players come back to practice with the team. That they come back to cheer Geno, CD and the team on. That they come back to pass on their wisdom. There is a reason they cry when it is time to graduate.

He finds a way in. He stirs their talent. He stirs their competitive spirit. He stirs their dreams. Many think he is chasing championships. That is only the manifestation of his goal. His goal to make them the best versions of themselves.
That was the best line in the article. I think it sums it all up and why the best players (who really get it) want to play for him.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score

That sums Geno up in one declarative sentence, which isn't easy to do. Isn't that what we would all hope for ourselves or our children - to become better versions of yourselves? And if someone will help you get there, what an opportunity, even if the work is very, very hard.

Reaction Score
Sherri Coale is a great writer.
Agree. While her sentiments and opinion of Geno are great I was really impressed with her writing ability. Nicely done. Plus, she's always been nice to look at. :)

Reaction Score

That notion was not lost on Bria Hartley when she came off the court for the last time.

Reaction Score
One of the most gratifying ways to receive complements on ones work is to have it come from your peers. As others have said, this is such a well written article with some great insights that could only come from another coach. UConn fans, we are truly living through a very rare period in any sport. Appreciate it (and I know we do!) We may never seen the likes of it again........

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
"...that could only come from another coach"

And, from someone with a magnificent ability to use the English language! Beautifully written.

Reaction Score
"...that could only come from another coach"

And, from someone with a magnificent ability to use the English language! Beautifully written.
Not being an English or Lit major, just a clumsy (word wise) old engineer, I'll take your word for it! But, I did like the article and thought it said it so well!

Reaction Score
More than the technical ability, it is the generosity of spirit that moved me. What a wonderful gesture to write something like that about a mentor who is also a current competitor!

Reaction Score
Likely widely viewed, of the 2014 National Champions returning to Storrs, for me this is the perfect, off-the-court video clip showing the extraordinary impact Geno has on his players. Not to disrespect Stef, but the best part is 1:20 minutes in, when Bria speaks. Wow!

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Likely widely viewed, of the 2014 National Champions returning to Storrs, for me this is the perfect, off-the-court video clip showing the extraordinary impact Geno has on his players. Not to disrespect Stef, but the best part is 1:20 minutes in, when Bria speaks. Wow!

Now why'd you have to bring this clip back out again to make me tear up in the middle of the work day? :D

Reaction Score

Can't watch that enough times

Reaction Score
Bria Hartley was never the most talented Husky, but the way she dealt with and overcame all the personal adversity and injuries made her my all-time favorite. The way she was unafraid to express her passions, on and off the court, for all of us to share, was extraordinary. Almost as extraordinary as her coach and the program he built.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What a great writing by Sherri Coale! A class act, great coach, amazing writer and yes not too bad to look at :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom