Shame on the offensive coordinator | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Shame on the offensive coordinator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So ...

Despite all we've seen from Boyle. Lots of plays. And considering we had success the week before against Houston with a strategy, YOUR plan is to let Tim Boyle become the crazed bomber.

Reaction Score
So ...

Despite all we've seen from Boyle. Lots of plays. And considering we had success the week before against Houston with a strategy, YOUR plan is to let Tim Boyle become the crazed bomber.
And your plan is to run off tackle against a six man front?

How did that work out?

Reaction Score
I'm really hoping that Tyler Davis jumps up to number 2 in the depth chart next year. He seems to have the tools to be pretty good for us, especially considering the fact that he seems to be a similar qb to BS, meaning we wouldn't need to make the drastic gameplan changes that we've seen with Boyle under center, if BS gets hurt again next year. I'm not trying to knock Boyle, but with the offensive line we have, a scrambling qb is a necessity, not a luxury. GA clearly hasn't shown enough in practice to be able to fill that role, so here's to hoping that TD can develop into that role sooner rather than later.

If Tyler Davis is developing beyond what we saw in HS his skills should give him a real shot to be the number 2 guy. Beyond that he could be a step up from anything we've seen recently. In other words, hope for the future if we can develop a decent blocking line.

Reaction Score
If Tyler Davis is developing beyond what we saw in HS his skills should give him a real shot to be the number 2 guy. Beyond that he could be a step up from anything we've seen recently. In other words, hope for the future if we can develop a decent blocking line.

Davis seems like the prototypical QB for this style of offense. I have high hopes

Reaction Score
And your plan is to run off tackle against a six man front?

How did that work out?

Garrett Anderson. Noel Thomas as wildcat. Boyle. Luke Carrezola.

Those are four distinct things two-headed Diaco tried. Let Boyle wing it around the field seems to not be a plan destined for success ... given past history. And, leaving out Tyler Davis, I'm not sure we had other good options at the beginning of that 2nd half. Down 10-0 & getting the ball, I think I'd try to replay Houston & hope for turnovers.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
He is wrong?
Do you honestly think that TD's offensive recipe would have led to a different result versus Temple, Tulane or Mizzou? What happened before Diaco does not matter now. Diaco is getting the most out of the offense based on the guys on the roster. I have no issues with the spread, we're just not build to be more dynamic than we are.

Reaction Score
huskypantz said:
Do you honestly think that TD's offensive recipe would have led to a different result versus Temple, Tulane or Mizzou? What happened before Diaco does not matter now. Diaco is getting the most out of the offense based on the guys on the roster. I have no issues with the spread, we're just not build to be more dynamic than we are.

No. I'm not talking about any specific game. Talking about the offensive philosophy. We seem to be recruiting to run a smash mouth ball control run oriented offense. But we can't run it against anyone good. I'm not suggesting we go Oregon. But there is something between that and what we do.

That's two games without an offensive score. We won one of them. But that doesn't say much.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
No. I'm not talking about any specific game. Talking about the offensive philosophy. We seem to be recruiting to run a smash mouth ball control run oriented offense. But we can't run it against anyone good. I'm not suggesting we go Oregon. But there is something between that and what we do.

That's two games without an offensive score. We won one of them. But that doesn't say much.
Until we have a QB that can actually chuck it around the field with reasonable accuracy we'll continue to see the same. Shirreffs is a player but he's not a spread QB.

Reaction Score

I disagree with your assessment of the offenses. I definitely think we're run-first, but I don't think we're smashmouth. I do think we are recruiting players and implementing a balanced offense. It's only year 1 for this offense, and I've liked the different sets we run. Do I wish we were in the gun a little more often? Yes. But at the same time, maybe the coaches don't think we're ready for it.

Reaction Score
huskypantz said:
Until we have a QB that can actually chuck it around the field with reasonable accuracy we'll continue to see the same. Shirreffs is a player but he's not a spread QB.

Right. TDH was talking about philosophy from recruiting through play calling. Not about what happened last night. Or what is on the current roster.

Reaction Score
Right. TDH was talking about philosophy from recruiting through play calling. Not about what happened last night. Or what is on the current roster.

If you look at who we have recruited at QB, they're all dual threat, strong armed and 6'3" +. We're going to eventually be a play-action vertical offense. The pieces just aren't there yet.

Reaction Score
JMick said:
If you look at who we have recruited at QB, they're all dual threat, strong armed and 6'3" +. We're going to eventually be a play-action vertical offense. The pieces just aren't there yet.

I'm hoping so. I'm not really bitching about last night. I think we just got exposed by a good team and if we played them 10 times we would probably lose all 10.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping so. I'm not really bitching about last night. I think we just got exposed by a good team and if we played them 10 times we would probably lose all 10.

I agree. I think it's pretty obvious what the staff wants to run. Big bodied TE's that sit in the middle of the field, recruiting either tall, or fast (and hopefully both) WR's to beat the defense either on the jump ball or by burning by them, and QBs who can scramble and have big arms.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
You're a smart guy. Is really an element you can gleam from the last 2 years that suggests that Diaco has taken a stance in recruiting to not try to run a more wide open offense? TDH has an agenda and he knows that the best way to get supports for his posts are after losses, especially when we have a poor offensive display.

Reaction Score
huskypantz said:
You're a smart guy. Is really an element you can gleam from the last 2 years that suggests that Diaco has taken a stance in recruiting to not try to run a more wide open offense? TDH has an agenda and he knows that the best way to get supports for his posts are after losses, especially when we have a poor offensive display.

It does worry me that the staff seems to curl up and hide whenever the circumstances aren't perfect. I know we aren't that good yet. And hopefully they are just protecting out of need. But the tendency is to shut down v open up.

I can't even say they are wrong. But I know that if we had a different set of coaches we would be doing it differently. That doesn't mean we would be more successful. But this isn't the only approach.

Reaction Score
Im intrigued when folks argue in the face of reality. The outcome speaks for itself and proves you're reasoning is flawed, unless you're contention is we couldn't beat Temple under any circumstance. You're ideas are premised on the faulty notion that your opponent does not anticipate and scheme based on weaknesses and strengths. Temple shut down the run because they knew we would replicate what we did the prior week. We put together a terrible, lazy minded game plan. As far as Boyle is concerned, the kid has never been put in a position to be successful. He has managed into zero self confidence, second guessing and just don't make a mistake. We were playing with house money, and played with the conservatism of a team that feared losing too badly.

Couldn't beat Temple? No I wouldn't say that. Extremely unlikely we beat Temple on the road, with our backup QB, in a game that meant everything to them? Yes. Don't think that's a controversial position.

I defended Boyle in the past and said give him more time, but he's now gotten an opportunity to play in 3 seasons, and he hasn't shown anything. He was clearly mismanaged early in his career and maybe if he was handled better his career would go differently, nobody knows, but the reality is he's not a FBS QB.

Reaction Score
It does worry me that the staff seems to curl up and hide whenever the circumstances aren't perfect. I know we aren't that good yet. And hopefully they are just protecting out of need. But the tendency is to shut down v open up.

I can't even say they are wrong. But I know that if we had a different set of coaches we would be doing it differently. That doesn't mean we would be more successful. But this isn't the only approach.
My thought is that Diaco and/or Verducci are perfectionists - if we can't run a play or set effectively 10/10 times we're not going to run it. If that means trimming down the playbook by 50 or 75%, then so be it. That doesn't mean the play itself will be successful but more so that they believe they have all the pieces to run that play at that time.

Reaction Score
Im intrigued when folks argue in the face of reality. The outcome speaks for itself and proves you're reasoning is flawed, unless you're contention is we couldn't beat Temple under any circumstance. You're ideas are premised on the faulty notion that your opponent does not anticipate and scheme based on weaknesses and strengths. Temple shut down the run because they knew we would replicate what we did the prior week. We put together a terrible, lazy minded game plan. As far as Boyle is concerned, the kid has never been put in a position to be successful. He has managed into zero self confidence, second guessing and just don't make a mistake. We were playing with house money, and played with the conservatism of a team that feared losing too badly.

LMAO. No one said we couldn't beat Temple under "any" circumstances. What people are saying is coaches couldn't change anything sufficiently that we could beat Temple on a day when our OL couldn't get anything done.

This isn't video game football. What players do is more important than what plays you call.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Screen passes were not tried at all. It was all Newsome up the gut. Diaco is going to get him killed.

huskypantz

Reaction Score

I agree that they coached a tight game yesterday. We were also only down 10-0 at the half with the ball. We were not winning that game (sans Shirreffs) without a few TO's, but we were competitive until the D got tired. If they opened it up that was a 48-7 whitewashing.

Reaction Score
The staff was putting future victories in front of winning today. If they wanted to win today, they'd probably have burned Davis's shirt for no reason. This is just one game - No point in wasting future wins for a meaningless win today.
I mean they pretty pointlessly burned Tarbutts for some kickoffs and missed field goals when that Puyol kid is pretty good.

Reaction Score
I mean they pretty pointlessly burned Tarbutts for some kickoffs and missed field goals when that Puyol kid is pretty good.
Puyol hadn't looked good up until that point. And that was much earlier in the season. It's one thing to burn a red shirt game one - it's entirely different to do it during the last game of the regular season.

Reaction Score
Puyol hadn't looked good up until that point. And that was much earlier in the season. It's one thing to burn a red shirt game one - it's entirely different to do it during the last game of the regular season.
I agree, just playing Devil's Advocate. If it was Diaco's plan to motivate Bobby it was a stroke of genius.

Reaction Score
Screen passes were not tried at all.

There were at least 2 that I recall. Boyle put one screen throw between the numbers of a defensive lineman, the other one was a center screen that didn't do much.

Last edited:

huskypantz

Reaction Score
There were at least 2 that I recall. Boyle put one screen throw between the numbers of a defensive lineman, the other one was a center screen that didn't do much.
Yup, spot on. I believe on the middle screen 62 whiffed on a block of Matakevitch. The problem was that Temple was pretty darn quick to the edges and really didn't need to dial up blitz packages to get pressure - they were just beating our guys off their blocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom